Quick CV question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, hope you're all ready for spring break.

so I have a rotation lined up out of state for this summer. The preceptor asked me to send her a copy of my CV. Because I'm out of state and this hospital is affiliated with another pharmacy school (I'm a 2nd year) I thought it would be handy to send a copy of my curriculum or coursework to give them an idea of where I am academically because all schools are just enough different (ie: we don't do any therapeutics until 3rd year) that they could expect me to know all sorts of stuff that I don't or I could be far ahead of where theythought I would be.

I don't really care to send my transcript (I've got a couple Cs) nor do I think it belongs in my CV. I'm planning on just calling or emailing the lady tomorrow to see what she would prefer but I wanted to offer some options. Maybe make an excel spreadsheet with the courses I've taken including electives (I've taken several very difficult ones) or a link to the course catalog? Send that as a seperate file from the CV itself...

Members don't see this ad.

My answer is probably too late since you were planning to call today, but I'll give it to you anyway.

A CV has a "format" - there are several and a few designed specifically for healthcare folks. You can google sample formats & even get them on Monster.com or other sites like that.

A CV would not involve a transcript or an excel spreadsheet. It should, however, cover the courses you've taken with a small summary of the content (1-2 sentences). It should also cover your extracurricular involvement during your school experience which is directly related to the profession (ie - class president, participant in cholesterol screening during a health fair - NOT sunday school teacher). It should also cover any other work related to pharmacy - this could be volunteering (during school - not pre-pharmacy), academic rotations you might have been on, paid work in a pharmacy or lab. It should also include any papers you might have written for publication (you probably won't have been an author for a journal, but if you've written for a school newsletter or health fair newsletter) or any presentations you may have done (ie to nursing students, etc...)

It should be done in the proper format & should at your point in time be no more than 1-2 pages (this includes margins, headers, footers & your name, address & contact phone number). You should keep your CV up to date over time. When you graduate, you drop all the course related matter off - just documenting your graduation takes care of all of that. However, other portions become larger - your presentations, your work experience, your publications, etc..

Good luck!

I think I'm just going to email the CV I have (which falls under the description you gave - we had to do them for a first year professionalism course) but doesn't include any details as far as individual courses go. but presentations, offices held, organization memberships, rotations, etc are all on there.