Quick interview help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brodaiga

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this may be a repost, but if someone could still help i'd appreciate it. could someone post a link or recommend a short book that would help with interview prep (especially ethical questions) i have my first interview this friday. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a teaching assistant for a bioethics class and a fellow applicant, I'd warn you about pulling answers from a webpage. Feel free to use it to become more familiar with the issues at hand, but you should come up with your own answer as any interviewer that asks an ethics question have probably heard the pat answers a million times and your own perspective will probably be more memorable. :idea:

anything you need to prep for an interview can be found online. The UW bioethics website is good, and read a healthcare book or two. Bookstores usually have them.

I wanted to extend some of the interviewing advice I have learned over my experiences. I will be graduating from med school this may, so I have experience both with med school admissions and residency interviews.

1. Take a stand! When asked a difficult question, it seems politically correct to straddle the fence, but I think this is a bad idea. Admission people want people with both values and convictions. They don't need 150 students sitting on a fence . . . This leads me to big number 2.

2. BACK UP WHAT YOU SAY! No answer you give should end in a single sentence. Offer your answer then give justification for that response. This is critical as admissions people are trying to find out how you THINK! The answer is sometimes irrelevant compared to how you arrived at the answer!

3. Tell me about yourself. This was my single most hated question . . . at first. But then I realized that this is a great question because it puts the ball in your court. This gives you the opportunity to dictate the flow of conversation. Use this question to propel the conversation towards your strengths. DO NOT simply restate your application as an answer to this question! Do not say "I was born in blah, I lived with my mom and my dad, and I knew I wanted to be a doctor since the womb . . ." You should expect this question and rehearse an answer.

4. Strengths. This is your chance to set yourself apart. Try to distinguish yourself here. Everyone interviewing is probably intelligent. Show your empathy, communication skills, people interaction skills, ability to teach, MULTITASKING, time management, etc . . .

5. Weaknesses. Do NOT state a weakness without flipping it around to a positive! Example: I have always appeared young for my age, so I have always tried to act mature . . ."

6. Firm handshake. Your goal here is to crush the person's hand. Not literally, but a firm handshake goes a LONG way! This goes for women too. If I interview someone and they give me one of those finger shakes, they are OUT!

7. Eye contact. Enough said.

8. Dress the part. From my experiences, this is not a problem for 99% of people, but make sure you dress professionally.

9. Send thank you notes and follow up, especially if you get wait-listed.

10. Know that the interview is VERY important. A strong interview can make up for a less than stellar application.

Message me if you have any other questions. And good luck!