quick major Q, yes its that time of the year again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Questionerrrrrrrrrrr

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to be sure
I plan on majoring in Zoology or Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology specializing in Animal Behavior (depending on where I go)
I really am fascinated and want to learn more, and research in Animal Behavior, ethnology, and sociology.
I aim to pair these with a double major in Philosophy or Anthropology.

*they* aren't going to look at my stuff and wonder what a pre-vet is doing applying to med school right?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody will care. Major in underwater basket weaving if you so desire.

Reactions: 3 users
Adcoms do not care what your major or minor is, only that you do well.

I just want to be sure
I plan on majoring in Zoology or Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology specializing in Animal Behavior (depending on where I go)
I really am fascinated and want to learn more, and research in Animal Behavior, ethnology, and sociology.
I aim to pair these with a double major in Philosophy or Anthropology.

*they* aren't going to look at my stuff and wonder what a pre-vet is doing applying to med school right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they'd actually be interested to see someone who has interests beyond medicine, and the initiative to study it in undergrad. I don't really know any pre-meds with that combination.

Pre-Meds need to be more confident with their decisions, don't double talk yourself into thinking you're doing everything wrong. Don't think in terms "I have to do the absolute right thing to get into medical school" study whatever you're interested in. If you're actually interested in animal behavior then so will adcoms because it'll reflect in your application and the way you carry yourself. I doubt adcoms will throw out your application just because you didn't study Human behavior or Human biology.

Having a non-science major gave me a ton to talk about during my interviews. They wanted to know about my work in food service, my liberal arts major, etc... Science and medicine barely came up, and I got accepted. They seemed genuinely interested to have someone from a non-science background applying.

And I understand that your major is science-related, but honestly having someone that isn't biology or biomedical sciences gives you and them more to talk about.