Quick online peer reviewed publications that aren't pubmed indexed, worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineZ0Z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a certain I'm looking at: Internet Scientific Publications

As someone who anticipates having just 1 pubmed indexed pub, would it be worth it so stack up a bunch of review articles in the various journals in that site? The journals are peer reviewed but I believe only a handful of the large # of journals are pubmed indexed.

How much value do the non pubmed pubs carry? I'm not aiming for a competitive field but would like to have a few if it's worth it. The pubs are 225$ I believe each and I don't mind paying that at all if it gets the quick pubs

Members don't see this ad.

It's worthless. There are a gazillion junk journals (often hosted in developing countries) that pretend to be peer review journals, often with fancy names (I am making it up, but the New England Journal of Medicine&Science would be good name). Their only purpose is to get your money and get rich putting your article on a random server. Save your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What are the "good" journals to be published in?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's worthless. There are a gazillion junk journals (often hosted in developing countries) that pretend to be peer review journals, often with fancy names (I am making it names, but the New England Journal of Medicine&Science would be a good something they would call themselves). Their only purpose is to get your money and get rich putting your article on a random server. Save your money.
I figured but couple questions..

1. Do pubs face a lot of scrutiny? Isn't it the case that unless you have very high quality pubs then it's more about quantity?

2. What about a couple pubs as fillers? It still shows effort on the students part.

There are quite a few journals that charge varying amounts of money that have full agreements with pubmed and everything they publish gets onto pubmed.

What are the "good" journals to be published in?
Due to time constraints and lack of opportunities (no PI) I'm not in a position to pursue quality journal pubs. I'm just looking for a couple fillers in this context. My non academics/ECs/CV is very strong otherwise and my academics are pretty good.

Due to time constraints and lack of opportunities (no PI) I'm not in a position to pursue quality journal pubs. I'm just looking for a couple fillers in this context. My non academics/ECs/CV is very strong otherwise and my academics are pretty good.

I am not sure where this idea of “fillers” is coming from. No, I could not care one bit and it won’t impress your local PD. It makes me think you are cutting corners. I will judge you.

As someone who anticipates having just 1 pubmed indexed pub, would it be worth it so stack up a bunch of review articles in the various journals in that site? The journals are peer reviewed but I believe only a handful of the large # of journals are pubmed indexed.

How much value do the non pubmed pubs carry? I'm not aiming for a competitive field but would like to have a few if it's worth it. The pubs are 225$ I believe each and I don't mind paying that at all if it gets the quick pubs

Those journals aren't actually peer reviewed. You can test them by submitting complete bs and your papers will be accepted. They want your money.

I am not sure where this idea of “fillers” is coming from. No, I could not care one bit and it won’t impress your local PD. It makes me think you are cutting corners. I will judge you.
So what's the rule of thumb, just being pubmed indexed? Some of the pay to pub ones are also pubmed indexed though.

So what's the rule of thumb, just being pubmed indexed? Some of the pay to pub ones are also pubmed indexed though.

No, there are some good journals that are not pubmed (science, non medicine).

Go by publisher - Elsevier, LWW, Taylor and Francis, Cambridge, NPG, BMJ PG etc. If it’s a reputable publisher, it’s a reasonable journal.

Can also see if there are any reasonable professional societies affiliated with the journal.

No, there are some good journals that are not pubmed (science, non medicine).

Go by publisher - Elsevier, LWW, Taylor and Francis, Cambridge, NPG, BMJ PG etc. If it’s a reputable publisher, it’s a reasonable journal.

Can also see if there are any reasonable professional societies affiliated with the journal.
I see. Does this hold true still for a PD who's quickly looking over the application? Particularly in a non competitive field?

I see. Does this hold true still for a PD who's quickly looking over the application? Particularly in a non competitive field?
For the academic places where publications can help your application, most PDs should know. Regardless, it's not worth the risk and the damage to your CV. You would be contributing to predatory journals and promoting bad science. Look up "predatory journals" or "predatory publishers" for more information. The "Internet Scientific Journals" you mentioned here were also part of Beall's list which is generally pretty accurate in identifying these.

Are there any journals that anyone has come across which meet the cut off for being reputable and aren't too difficult to get a pub in there if you don't have a PI name attached to it?

The vast majority of these are vanity or predatory journals just seeking to make buck. They're more than worthless.

Reactions: 3 users
I figured but couple questions..

1. Do pubs face a lot of scrutiny? Isn't it the case that unless you have very high quality pubs then it's more about quantity?

2. What about a couple pubs as fillers? It still shows effort on the students part.

There are quite a few journals that charge varying amounts of money that have full agreements with pubmed and everything they publish gets onto pubmed.

Quality > quantity. It's better to have a few quality pubs in a specific area (which shows expertise) vs. having a bunch of scattered junk.

I'm an M3 about to start applying to ortho residencies. I have three transplant surgery papers published at journals that are not indexed in pubmed and that were published by groups on Beall's list. Should I remove these from my CV/not put them on ERAS? Will they look bad to PDs?