Quick Peds Fellowship Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is it feasible to do your 3 year peds residency, then take a year off to have a child, then do a 3 year peds fellowship following a ~1 year hiatus?

Also, I know the $$ during a fellowship is comparable to residency, but what about the hours/wk worked?

Thanks so much as always. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by bella_dottoressa
Hi guys,

Is it feasible to do your 3 year peds residency, then take a year off to have a child, then do a 3 year peds fellowship following a ~1 year hiatus?

Also, I know the $$ during a fellowship is comparable to residency, but what about the hours/wk worked?

Thanks so much as always. :)

No probkem, you can wait ten years if you want. Hours will depend on what sub-specialty you choose, but in general should be a little better.

ED

Hours will be better on average since you usually spend a fair amount of peds fellowships in research and in clinic. (I'd imagine that clinic is not as applicable if you're doing critical care). In-service months may still be grueling. I'm thinking of the NICU fellows or Hem-Onc fellows who take call when they are on service and work their butts off to care for very sick patients. I think other subspecialties like nephro, ID, allergy, rheum, etc. are not as bad but I really don't know.

bpkurtz

Thanks guys; just what I wanted to hear :)