Quick question about FAP...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juicec

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to shoot out a "quick FAP" (that's what she said?) question as policies tend to change and I haven't noticed any recent discussions on it.

With that said, I am curious how it pertains to myself and if it is worthwhile to wait and apply this coming January or just get my MCAT fees in now and secure a seat.

I am 24, been married for 6 years and my parents have not claimed me for at least 8. My wife and I are both full time students with a household income of ~40k. My parents both live in Canada but my dad works in the US. Together their house old income is >250k which is obviously > 300% above the poverty line. My question lies with the fact I am unsure how the boarder issue works (i.e. always citing US poverty line in documentation) along with the fact I haven't been claimed in such a long period of time.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, regardless of age/dependency status, the FAP requires parent income information in determining whether you are eligible.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/fap/about/
"FAP does not make a distinction between dependent and independent student status, therefore all applicants must provide parental financial data in their FAP application."

Unfortunately, regardless of age/dependency status, the FAP requires parent income information in determining whether you are eligible.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/fap/about/
"FAP does not make a distinction between dependent and independent student status, therefore all applicants must provide parental financial data in their FAP application."

Yep. Married for 3 years and my husband and I are both in school, so we have a very low income. All they cared about were my parents numbers...= no FAP. Pretty frustrating I thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is pretty pathetic there is no attention drawn to individuals who although have able parents choose to provide their own means. At any rate, I guess I wont waste my time with FAP and just go ahead and secure a seat today then.

As a final note, having my parents house hold in Canada changes nothing I assume?

Yep. Married for 3 years and my husband and I are both in school, so we have a very low income. All they cared about were my parents numbers...= no FAP. Pretty frustrating I thought.

Yeah... ridiculous. What about non-trads in their 30s? Do they report their parents' social security income? It's just another frustrating way that this whole admissions game is biased towards 22 year old young people who zipped through 4 years of undergrad with no speed bumps. Not that there's anything wrong with that path, but that system discriminates against a lot of highly competent people who don't fit the mold.

I agree. I'm only 21, but we've been financially on our own since we got married. Seems like those who are older and have kids and really need it...can't get it. Getting into med school is expensive, yo.

Yeah... ridiculous. What about non-trads in their 30s? Do they report their parents' social security income? It's just another frustrating way that this whole admissions game is biased towards 22 year old young people who zipped through 4 years of undergrad with no speed bumps. Not that there's anything wrong with that path, but that system discriminates against a lot of highly competent people who don't fit the mold.

:thumbup:

Well I took our extra school loans to cover my app costs... I don't think anyone our age (21-23) can afford to drop a couple of thousands on the app game.