Quick Question about Residency Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liebs3

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to med school, but I've still got one more semester of undergrad. I was wondering if residency programs see your complete undergrad transcript. My school has unlimited pass/fail, and I was wondering how much I could ride that luxury because it won't affect my overall GPA. Okay, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

liebs3 said:
I just got accepted to med school, but I've still got one more semester of undergrad. I was wondering if residency programs see your complete undergrad transcript. My school has unlimited pass/fail, and I was wondering how much I could ride that luxury because it won't affect my overall GPA. Okay, thanks.
No. Residency programs don't care about what classes or grades you got in college, just med school.

yeh, but I don't think I would take every class P/F final semester undergrad. It may affect your admission - don't know for sure, but it might. One option may be to take fewer courses or easier courses, maybe one P/F, and get C+ or better on the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some more competitive residency programs (ie, Plastics) WILL request your undergrad transcripts and MCAT scores but by and large most do not. I wouldn't worry about it (as if you could do anything about it now anyway).

really? that's wild.

I definitely would NOT blow it off. During med school I had to submit undergrad transcripts while applying to scholarships and research fellowships. Also, my dean's letter (the cover letter to my residency app) summarizes my undergrad performance, including my final overal GPA.

i applied to ENT via SFMatch and we were required to submit our college transcripts and MCAT scores, fyi

Neurology requires all transcripts (it's early match - san francisco match, but not very competitive). I've not noticed most of the way through interviews that anyone actually looked at it. No MCAT was required (wish it was!).

my bad, my MCAT scores was not required for SFmatch. i have no idea what i was thinking when i replied earlier...