Quick question about Sub-Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current 3rd year trying to get my schedule together for 4th year.

Do Ophthalmology residency programs want to see your Sub-I done before you apply, or can it be done after? Does it even matter?

Also, does it matter what you do your sub-internship in? At my school we can do it in Peds, IM, Surgery, OB, Psych, or Family Med. I can't really decide which one. Probably Internal Medicine, I would think.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm clueless to this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters. I still haven't done mine, and not a single program brought it up during interviews. Perhaps I would have got more interviews if I had had it; I can't say that those programs that rejected me didn't consider it, but I would be very surprised if that was the deciding factor.

My reasons for delaying it were that I needed to get ophtho letters and some research under my belt and thus didn't have time, and I also wanted to do my medicine sub-I closer to my internship to brush up on my skills before intern year.

No one cares. It is almost standard to put your SUB-I off until post match. You are much better off using the beginning of fourth year doing ophtho electives(home/away) and securing letters and doing a solid job at wherever you do an away elective. Leave some of late October/all of November/and beginning of December "free"(research month for credit/known easy electives at your school/vacation time) for interview time. The interview process is exhausting enough, so it is a HUGE PAIN to have to be on a rotation where you are expected to be there bright and early every time you fly back in town. The only advantage to doing your SUB-I early is that when you match you basically REALLY are done with medical school. Also, no one cares what you do it in.