Quick Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an IMG at St. George's in the Carib. I am about to select my 3rd year clinical center which are situated in the New Jersey and New York area. I am trying to go somewhere that has a good Gas (Anesthesiology) program so that I can do my electives there.

So if you are a caribean IMG (pref St. Georges) or familiar with the program it would be great if I can get some feedback.

Thanks and hope everyone is doing great in there careers!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

BrasilianMD said:
I am currently an IMG at St. George's in the Carib. I am about to select my 3rd year clinical center which are situated in the New Jersey and New York area. I am trying to go somewhere that has a good Gas (Anesthesiology) program so that I can do my electives there.

So if you are a caribean IMG (pref St. Georges) or familiar with the program it would be great if I can get some feedback.

Thanks and hope everyone is doing great in there careers!! :)

Hey Brasilian,

I would love to help out one of my fellow SGU colleagues. Just went to graduation this past weekend. It was sweet. You have so much to look forward to. SGU really does a great job. Anyway. In NJ....you have St. Joseph's in Paterson. Rough area, old catholic hospital. But I loved it there. The anesthesia residency is ok. They take about 7 a year, and most of those are SGU grads. But not the cream of that crop. They usually don't fill all there spots. I rotated there, and thought St. Barnabas was way better. Nice Chairman, Nice program director, but the program has no $$ and the hospital is pretty run down. But for a student I would definately do a rotation there. You will get to do alot, and they will get to know you. They will probably ask you to sign outside if they like you. I cancelled my interview there because I already had much better offers, but its ok.

I also rotated at St. Barnabas. Very cush program. Barnabas is a nice hospital. Only 3 residents per year. Chairman is a complete prick. He's 50 going on 25 or so he thinks. He never spoke to me the whole time I was there. I worked OB with him one day, and I never saw him. He had the residents doing all the epidurals, while he was sleeping off a hangover. I rotated with Drs. Ramundo...and Vallee (the old PD). They were great. Ramundo makes you do everything. Even report the case to the PACU nurses. I loved working with him. I worked hard those 4 weeks but got a great letter. So I would pick Barny's hands down out of the 2. But in all honesty. Unless you are from NJ............apply elsewhere. Jersey is way to over priced to live, and its a dump. You will get a University program if your scores are above average. Use those as a backup. UMDNJ and Robert Wood will interview you as well. I cancelled both. Wife would have killed me if I matched in the "Ghharrden state". The key is.......Do well on step 1 and 2 and you will write your ticket. IM me if you have any questions.

good luck.

Dr. J

I can tell you New Jersey is not a dump :mad: ... I grew up in NJ. Livingston is one of the best town in the country.. that's where "Barny" by the way. Yes Newark is a city and So is New Brunswick UMDNJ is located in both and so is Rutgers. But New Jersey is not a Dump. Yeah the cost of living is high in someplace like Livingston, Short Hill, Milburn, South Orange, West Orange but those towns are Suburbs. Jersey is worth the cost. It seems to me every state has it's bad areas. Just cause you don't like Jersey doesn't make it a dump or UMDNJ "back up".

UMDNJ is my first choice for Med School.

Captaindargo, defender of all things New Jersey
Rutgers University - Rutgers College - 2004
Premed Classes at Georgia State University in the ATL starting 2005.
Med School - 2007?

Ok, let me be real honest about NJ. Its ...well..kind of not a dump. It has areas where I feel like I'm in the garden state, and then areas where I feel its the garbage state. I lived in South Orange. I liked it, definately upper class area. But I'm from the west and you when you compare the cost of living, the scenery...etc, its just not that great of a place. I could never get over paying $5.00 to go to the beach. It does have things I will miss about it, but otherwise, there is no comparison, Colorada, Utah, Las Vegas, Arizona, or Oregon.....is so much nicer to live. What I paid in NJ for a one bedroom apt. (which was a peice of crap)...Is my mortgage on a $160,000 home here in PA. So, I will refrain from calling NJ a dump, thanks for correcting me.......but it is not a desirable place to live, that is, if you have lived in the good old western United states.

Just my $0.02.

captaindargo said:
I can tell you New Jersey is not a dump :mad: ... I grew up in NJ. Livingston is one of the best town in the country.. that's where "Barny" by the way. Yes Newark is a city and So is New Brunswick UMDNJ is located in both and so is Rutgers. But New Jersey is not a Dump. Yeah the cost of living is high in someplace like Livingston, Short Hill, Milburn, South Orange, West Orange but those towns are Suburbs. Jersey is worth the cost. It seems to me every state has it's bad areas. Just cause you don't like Jersey doesn't make it a dump or UMDNJ "back up".

UMDNJ is my first choice for Med School.

Captaindargo, defender of all things New Jersey
Rutgers University - Rutgers College - 2004
Premed Classes at Georgia State University in the ATL starting 2005.
Med School - 2007?