Quick question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagicMissile

Attacking the Darkness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are unsolicited solicitations by med schools particularly common? By that, I mean is it a regualr thing for a med school (other than a Carribean school) to send you an email or something saying "Based on your MCAT scores, we hope you apply"?

I'm not sure if this means good things admissions-wise or if it's silly to get one's hopes up too much over a mass-email.

Members don't see this ad.

MagicMissile said:
Are unsolicited solicitations by med schools particularly common? By that, I mean is it a regualr thing for a med school (other than a Carribean school) to send you an email or something saying "Based on your MCAT scores, we hope you apply"?

I'm not sure if this means good things admissions-wise or if it's silly to get one's hopes up too much over a mass-email.

lol, wisconsin was just sent out like 5 minutes ago

MagicMissile said:

Some places pay to get the names of those who took the MCAT. However if you checked the box to release your scores and you met their requirement/cutoff they will send you a solicitation. At least this was my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dancing Doctor said:
Some places pay to get the names of those who took the MCAT. However if you checked the box to release your scores and you met their requirement/cutoff they will send you a solicitation. At least this was my experience.
I understand this, I'm just wondering whether that cutoff is meaningful or not. Do they send these to seek out applicants they really want, or do they spam everyone that isn't a complete waste of their time?

I received one from NYU. It wasn't because of my scores, but because I am a minority. It was from the assistant dean of diversity and community affairs. I am considering adding them to my list of schools.

hey it was probably because of your scores and because you are a minority. hahhaha i'm a minority too and i got nada from NYU and i wouldn't mind NYU compared to the rest i've been getting

MagicMissile said:
I understand this, I'm just wondering whether that cutoff is meaningful or not. Do they send these to seek out applicants they really want, or do they spam everyone that isn't a complete waste of their time?
I don't think it could hurt to try if you'd like the school and had the money.

Yes they spam everyone that isn't a complete waste of their time. Hell, they spam people that ARE a complete waste of their time. Those secondaries can generate a lot of petty cash.

Pretty much a brief nice ego boost is all that you get out of solicitations from schools. Doesn't really mean a thing about your application for the most part.

I wouldn't put too much stock into it...

While not exactly the same as, "you may have already won" adverts, these communiques from schools should not be interpreted as they have any more interest in you than John Doe down the street who took the MCAT the same day as you.

Whatever you do, don't let your parents see it. Many have this delusion that such letters from schools mean they are packing your bags 'cause you're as good as in!