1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Quick question...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MagicMissile, Jul 27, 2006.

1. MagicMissile

MagicMissile Attacking the Darkness
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are unsolicited solicitations by med schools particularly common? By that, I mean is it a regualr thing for a med school (other than a Carribean school) to send you an email or something saying "Based on your MCAT scores, we hope you apply"?

I'm not sure if this means good things admissions-wise or if it's silly to get one's hopes up too much over a mass-email.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    lol, wisconsin was just sent out like 5 minutes ago

4. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Redneck Woman
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some places pay to get the names of those who took the MCAT. However if you checked the box to release your scores and you met their requirement/cutoff they will send you a solicitation. At least this was my experience.

5. MagicMissile

MagicMissile Attacking the Darkness
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I understand this, I'm just wondering whether that cutoff is meaningful or not. Do they send these to seek out applicants they really want, or do they spam everyone that isn't a complete waste of their time?

6. star2007

star2007 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I received one from NYU. It wasn't because of my scores, but because I am a minority. It was from the assistant dean of diversity and community affairs. I am considering adding them to my list of schools.

7. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey it was probably because of your scores and because you are a minority. hahhaha i'm a minority too and i got nada from NYU and i wouldn't mind NYU compared to the rest i've been getting

8. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Redneck Woman
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think it could hurt to try if you'd like the school and had the money.

9. Hoberto

Hoberto Squirrel Girl
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes they spam everyone that isn't a complete waste of their time. Hell, they spam people that ARE a complete waste of their time. Those secondaries can generate a lot of petty cash.

10. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pretty much a brief nice ego boost is all that you get out of solicitations from schools. Doesn't really mean a thing about your application for the most part.

11. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't put too much stock into it...

While not exactly the same as, "you may have already won" adverts, these communiques from schools should not be interpreted as they have any more interest in you than John Doe down the street who took the MCAT the same day as you.

Whatever you do, don't let your parents see it. Many have this delusion that such letters from schools mean they are packing your bags 'cause you're as good as in!