Quick Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While i clearly have at least a basic understanding of what a Psy.D. is, i can honestly say i have no idea how to properly say the degree's name, since i have never actually heard anyone say it out loud. Is it pronounced like P-S-Y-D or like "si d"?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh goody. Let's make this the, 'how do you pronounce random names/terms' thread because I have a few.

Kraepelin and Bleuler pretty much mystify me. Krep-lin? Kre-PEL-in? And dementia praecox. I get the dementia part, but is it PRE-cox, or PRAY-cox?

oh goody. Let's make this the, 'how do you pronounce random names/terms' thread because I have a few.

Kraepelin and Bleuler pretty much mystify me. Krep-lin? Kre-PEL-in? And dementia praecox. I get the dementia part, but is it PRE-cox, or PRAY-cox?

I'd go with "CREPE-lin" and "PRAY-cox."

How do other people say Szasz? I say it rhyming with jazz. One of my profs insists on saying "SAY-z."

My abnormal teacher pronounced it "pre-cox"....hmmm

The one that always annoyed me was aluminum. I'd always heard it pronounced uh-loo-min-um until one of my teachers in high school insisted on pronouncing it al-you-MIN-ee-um. (kinda reminds me of Bush always saying nuke-you-ler instead of nuclear :p)

Actually aluminium isn't really saying it "wrong", I believe its still the correct british version, and WAS the accepted american version early on, until it worked its way into popular culture and people decided to change it for arbitrary reasons.

Nucular on the other hand, is just because he's a *****.

Actually aluminium isn't really saying it "wrong", I believe its still the correct british version, and WAS the accepted american version early on, until it worked its way into popular culture and people decided to change it for arbitrary reasons.

Kind of like the animal or car company Jag-you-ar

Also:

I'm sure a few of us giggled at least once the first time we saw (but before we heard) the name Karen Horney.

Kind of like the animal or car company Jag-you-ar

Also:

I'm sure a few of us giggled at least once the first time we saw (but before we heard) the name Karen Horney.

In my theories of personality textbook, they make a point of giving the correct pronunciation of her name.

Yeah Szasz completely baffles me too.

Nucular on the other hand, is just because he's a *****.

That's it. I am officially going to start recording in a little notebook every time I hear some suposedly brilliant Democrat mis-pronounce nuclear. Since I listen to newsradio all day long, and the Iran/Nuclear story is all over the place, I hear it several days a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
The one that always annoyed me was aluminum. I'd always heard it pronounced uh-loo-min-um until one of my teachers in high school insisted on pronouncing it al-you-MIN-ee-um. (kinda reminds me of Bush always saying nuke-you-ler instead of nuclear :p)

Ever hear the Bush-As-Machiavelli people say that this mispronunciation (and Chancellor-groping, etc.) say that the mispronunciations and weird verbal salad things are brilliantly intention?

Ever hear the Bush-As-Machiavelli people say that this mispronunciation (and Chancellor-groping, etc.) say that the mispronunciations and weird verbal salad things are brilliantly intention?

No. But he did get a better SAT score and grades at Harvard Business than John Kerry.

My point is that I wonder if it is possible that conservatism/libertarianism is a viable, philsophically different world view or is it just "*****ic."

Every time (and I don't mean most of the time) I have a conversation with my liberal graduate school friends (a redundancy) the conversation ends with me being called "mean," "bigoted," "stupid," or "anti-fill in the blank oppressed group."

I once told my mother in law that I think a country (all of them--not just the US) has the inherent right to have control over who crosses it's internationally recognized borders, and even to restrict that motion. Her response? "Your bigotry has to stop." She is in a MSW program at Berkeley. I thought those of us in this profession were supposed to be aware of our own internal mechanisms and not use name calling to end a discussion.

I'd go with "CREPE-lin" and "PRAY-cox."

How do other people say Szasz? I say it rhyming with jazz. One of my profs insists on saying "SAY-z."

Szasz is a very common Hungarian surname pronounced sort of like a cross between "sauce" and "saws," if you will. I believe that people bearing this name around the world use a variety of different pronunciations, including the ones you mentioned. Even so, if you were in the country of origin of that name, you wouldn't say it any other way.

In fact, I just located some info on it from the Thomas S Szasz, MD Cybercenter for Liberty and Responsibility (www.szasz.com/pronounce.html):

"How to pronounce "Szász"

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hungarian is a phonetic language with an alphabet containing forty letters, many of them compounds of what would be two letters in English, for example "cs," "gy," and "ly." "Sz" is such a compound letter. It is pronounced as a sharp "s," as in "sand." The letter "á," with the accent, is pronounced as a long "a," as in "father." .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]--from Schaler, J.A. (2004). Introduction. In J.A. Schaler (Ed.), Szasz Under Fire: The Psychiatric Abolitionist Faces His Critics, p. xiii. Chicago: Open Court Publishers. .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Thomas S. Szasz Cybercenter for Liberty and Responsibility:.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Copyright © 1998-2006 by the author of each page, except where noted. All rights reserved..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This page was last modified on 05/23/2007 12:09:47 GMT".

Go for it.

For the record, I'm definitely not a democrat either;) Lean a little to the left socially, little to the right economically, and I'm all about calling out any democrats you catch saying that as well. Stupid does not acknowledge party lines.

Oh, and if I remember their scores correctly, I'd hazard a guess most folks on this board had to do better than both of them to get where they are.

My point is that I wonder if it is possible that conservatism/libertarianism is a viable, philsophically different world view or is it just "*****ic."

Although my post wasn't directed at you, my OT comment is that you're right about this; it's merely that Bush doesn't represent anything that could possibly be construed as even remotely resembling either a conservative or Libertarian philosophy.

Back to pronunciation: Ducky, thanks for that! Good to know that both my prof and I were wrong.

One of my all-time favorites from UG was a prof who insisted on calling a 7-point scale a "LICK-erd" scale instead of a "LIE-kert" scale. I always thought of someone being "liquored-up" when he said it that way.:rolleyes:

Hah, that's another example. Popular does not equal correct;)

I'm as guilty as anyone else of saying it lie-kert, but we are all wrong. Officially (from the family of Rensis Likert) you should be saying Lick-ert. Not sure why your professor is adding a d on the end, but he's closer than 99% of people in the field;)

On America's Next Top Model, there was a girl with aspergers but Tyra Banks always pronounced in weird and different ways - as-purge-ers, as-per-gerders, as-purge-ders. The girl always pronounced it, well, like it's spelled - as-per-gers, but Tyra never did. I think my favorite was as-per-gerders :)

Everyone has. Literally everyone. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've heard it said correctly.

Google it and you'll see. I think wikipedia actually has the correct pronunciation. Someone asked Likert's kid (who I think is also in the field if I'm remembering the story correctly....they met him at a conference).

They may think you're brain damaged at first, but you can explain it and then seem like the smart one;)

*mod note: I split out your comment to a new thread, so it could be discussed in more depth. -t *

I was actually emphatically corrected on the pronunciation of that word as an undergrad, and now I do say Lick-ert... and people do look at me as if I'm braindead. Oh well - at least I can feel correct, even if I can't sound like it!

I was actually emphatically corrected on the pronunciation of that word as an undergrad, and now I do say Lick-ert... and people do look at me as if I'm braindead. Oh well - at least I can feel correct, even if I can't sound like it!

:laugh:

I think the more you learn about a particular area, the more you will run into this, as people often use a little bit of knowledge and try and stretch it a long way, regardless if it fits.

-t

Another interesting thing about Likert is that a true Likert scale has exactly 4 levels. If you have more than that, you are technically supposed to say "likert-type" because it is copyrighted by him. (I may have that backwards though. It could be exactly 5 levels, and anything else is "likert-type.")

Another interesting thing about Likert is that a true Likert scale has exactly 4 levels. If you have more than that, you are technically supposed to say "likert-type" because it is copyrighted by him. (I may have that backwards though. It could be exactly 5 levels, and anything else is "likert-type.")

This article http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsuebersax/likert.htm talks about Likert and Likert-like items. Apparently the big caveat is that it must be symmetrical around a neutral middle (which would mean that 4-point (or any even number) items are not Likert items at all; weird). I've also read it argued that 4 points are insufficient to treat the item as a continuous variable.

I had a prof who said that Likert items all had 7 options, and everything else was Likert-like. But I always thought he was wrong about that anyhow.

This article http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsuebersax/likert.htm talks about Likert and Likert-like items. Apparently the big caveat is that it must be symmetrical around a neutral middle (which would mean that 4-point (or any even number) items are not Likert items at all; weird). I've also read it argued that 4 points are insufficient to treat the item as a continuous variable.

I had a prof who said that Likert items all had 7 options, and everything else was Likert-like. But I always thought he was wrong about that anyhow.

I think you're right about the neutral middle requirement. The 4 point (or any even number I guess) does funny things with the nature of the outcome (continuous variable distribution). I only know this because my dissertation is a factor analysis and reliability exploration on a newly developed "likert-type" instrument. Man we are nerds.

Well shut my mouth! I sit corrected. I don't know if I can bring myself to pronounce it that way though.

I heard another one today. PEE-da-file for pedophile. Hm. Another professor. And if he's actually saying it right, I don't want to know.

My abnormal lecturer always said 'skitz-o-free-nee-ah'. It was one of the many things about him that was annoying.

My seminar professor, who studies it, calls it 'skitz-o-fren-nee-ah' and makes me feel better.

ooo!

"Mahalanobis"

Mah-hal-an-oh-biss or mah-hal-an-oh-bee

My abnormal lecturer always said 'skitz-o-free-nee-ah'. It was one of the many things about him that was annoying.

My seminar professor, who studies it, calls it 'skitz-o-fren-nee-ah' and makes me feel better.

Oh yeah...I worked with researchers studying schizophrenia, and like half of them said it one way, and half the other. Nobody seemed to be coming to blows over it though.

Acetylcholine is one that I've heard both "a-see-til-co-lean" and "ass-el-teal-co-lean". I say it the first way, but I've heard some use the latter term.

-t

Ya, well if you get the Indian professor I just had, it sounds like this.

"Eye Comn to aamerica to teach you very much about the aaaceedtalcooean."

LOL. It was SOOO bad. Smart guy, no english communication skills. When we were trying to decipher if he said "vault" or "valve" with the primary professor it was really amusing. Don't ask how he said Sphincter!

Mark

That reminds me of a math prof I had in undergrad...

"And today clahs, ve vill be doing ze matematical poofs"

his vocal pitch always went up towards the end of the sentence so it sounded like "matematical POOFS". I think his pronunciation of some words (like proof = poof) was the only think that kept some students up for an 8am math class :p

...reminds me of a geology prof I had (I forget his country of birth) who spoke of the geo-thermal vents that are found under the ocean. He called them

"geo-termal wents" :laugh:

Made me think of that character on the old Star Trek movies...Chekov? Too funny.