quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ubu

Always hungry...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked about a million times, so I apologize in advance for asking it again. What is the difference between an MD and a DO? Is there any difference in what is taught or emphasized? In the end, are MDs doing anything different from DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, been asked ad nauseum, but I'll go ahead and give a basic answer. Feel free to search the forums to see some of the previous threads, but keep in mind that some of the posts are quite mindless.

MDs and DOs have the same basic training (2 years classroom of basic and clinical sciences & 2 years of clinical rotations) and practice very much in the same manner (can specialize in the same areas).

DOs are also trained to do Osteopathic Manual Manipulation.

There are some philosophical differences between the two, but in reality, MDs and DOs usually look very much the same in their practices.

DOs are more likely to choose to go into primary care areas (Family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, OB/Gyn), probably in part due to the fact that the DO schools tend to emphasize those areas and select students who are already interested in those areas.

Hope that helps a bit. :)