Quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bostonienses

Tripping on lactic acid
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I guess trillions of people are using this website because I wrote my post and it did not post. Curious.
The questions is: What is meant by science GPA? Is it ANY science class that you have taken, or only the science classes that are required for admissions to medical school (orgo, physics, all that stuff)?
Also, what do medical schools look at, really? Do they focus only on the required classes, or do they look at your science GPA, regardless of how many science classes you have taken besides the ones required for med school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so by biology you mean only first year bio, right? And by chemistry you mean orgo and general chem? Or any other chemistry or bio class? This is what is confusing me and I know it's *****ic, but by reading the threads I can't tell.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Bostonienses
Ok, so by biology you mean only first year bio, right? And by chemistry you mean orgo and general chem? Or any other chemistry or bio class? This is what is confusing me and I know it's *****ic, but by reading the threads I can't tell.
Thanks!

all biology, chemistry, math, and physics. It doesnt matter what course it is it all gets factored in.

BCPM gpa is any science or math class you have taken, regardless if it is required for their med school or not. Medical schools look at both your science and non-science gpa, as well as your cumulative gpa by year. When you fill out your amcas your bcpm, non-sci, and cum gpas will appear for EACH year you have spent in undergrad/grad school in addition to a final overall gpa in each of those categories. Typically schools want to see an upward trend in those yearly numbers. in the end schools will take into account those numbers with your mcats and ECs and letters of rec.