Quick question

indianjatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it be looked down upon if I use Biology AP credit to get 4 units for a course that is not in the normal series pre-meds take for Biology? For example, there is a course called Introductory to Biology - 10 and then a series of Introductory to Biology courses (2A-2C), which I will take. With AP credit I will get exempted from the Biology 10 course.

I was asking because I am planning on using the AP credit to get 4 units and get slightly ahead in credit count.

- Indian

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Ap credit isn't calculated into your college gpa. Some med schools don't even accept AP courses so you'd have to check if they do before applying. Also, by not taking the basic college Biology course, you don't know what you're missing.

If you feel like you've learned enough in high school and you can move on then go ahead because it shouldn't be a major problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused as to why bio sci majors have to take 2A, 2B, and 2C. It doesn't seem like those courses help for the MCAT too much.

There are usually different intro courses for non-science majors and science majors. The 2A-2C courses are probably more in depth. Regardless of whether detailed ecology will be on the MCAT (it won't), you'll probably need those courses as pre-reqs for upper level bio courses you'll have to take.

I took a quick peek at the catalog. The biology 10 course looks like an introduction for non-science majors, while 2a-2c appears to be the 1 year introduction for students in the major. A lot of what you learn in that class most likely won't show up, but like ladyoflies said, it is a pre-req for upper level classes that may be helpful on the MCAT.

Besides, if you already have the ap credit, I would take the class anyway just as a GPA buffer assuming you did well in the class.

I'm not sure about the situation at this school, but I'm assuming they are going to give you credit for the non-major intro class, meaning you'd still have to take the intro class for science majors. If that's the case, then take the credit and run...it'll be nice to have the freedom to take a lighter load during MCAT studying and PS preparation later down the line.

Last edited:
take whatever the hell you want. All that matters is that you have 2 semesters of a bio course of any sort and a lab to go along with it. Schools won't care. And as for MCAT, who cares. MCAT bio material is basic and if you don't learn some areas in your college courses so what, you'll learn it when you study for the MCAT

take whatever the hell you want. All that matters is that you have 2 semesters of a bio course of any sort and a lab to go along with it. Schools won't care. And as for MCAT, who cares. MCAT bio material is basic and if you don't learn some areas in your college courses so what, you'll learn it when you study for the MCAT

:thumbup: this.

I didn't think college's accepted AP credits.. but maybe I'm misinformed, I never had any AP classes at my school..

However, I was under the impression only dual credit courses are (obviously) accepted for college credit..

After reading that post though it sounds to me that by taking those two bio classes, you don't have to take the college one.. In that case, I wouldn't worry about it at all.. Your not going to be looked down upon.