1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Quick question

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ATLHawks, Aug 15, 2011.

1. ATLHawks

Pre-Medical
    do first year dental students recieve a short white coat as first yr med students do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dantemac

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Some schools have white coat ceremonies, I believe?

4. bluepills

Removed

Pre-Dental
    The white coat is symbolic of your transition into the clinical profession, so some dental schools do not do the white coat ceremony until 3rd year when you start clinic.

5. I had to buy a lab coat today at the campus store and accidentally picked up a short white coat, rather than a lab coat....I was told that could have been a mistake, some people would be offended by it- and I would have looked like an idiot

6. ATLHawks

Pre-Medical
    thanks for the responses. But still no one really answered my question. Anyone get their white coat first year?

7. JOoa0ky

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Because you really should've posted this in the dental student's section instead of the pre-dent section ;)

8. yellowjeeep79

Dentist
    Most dental and medical schools issue the white coat after the bulk of your didactic and pre-clinical work is done. The ceremony recognizes that you are now ready to treat "real" patients in the clinic. Some schools, particularly medical schools have begun to incorporate patient encounters from the very beginning. A number of these schools issue the white coat at the induction ceremony.
    I attended FAU med school's inaugural white coat ceremony 3 weeks ago for first years. At my school, our dental and medical white coat ceremonies are this Saturday - both for incoming 3rd years.
    IMHO, giving a white coat to an incoming med student is like giving a hammer to a kid long before teaching him the proper way to drive a nail.

9. bluepills

Removed

Pre-Dental
    Yes, some schools give you a white coat in first year.

10. Accent

Pre-Dental
    They do at UCLA. Or at least did 5 years ago.