Quick Questions For OB/GYN Shelf test Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay426k

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For this shelf test, how much do they test on our ability to stage each cancer and the routes the cancers travel when spreading. Just wanted to know if this is something they commonly test on the shelf.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No actual staging on the version I took, nor routes of metastasis. Treatment gets tested (not specific regimens, just general management, e.g. chemo/XRT/surgery).

Here's how I think about cancer: chemo is used for systemic mets (peritoneal metastasis, malignant ascites included); XRT is used for locally extensive disease (local invasion into unresectable structures, tumors too bulky to remove en bloc, local recurrance of previously resected cancers); surgery is used for local control, and is often the only curative option. You can then memorize only the variations from that general scheme (which are pretty rare).

Particular to OB/Gyn, know that partial mastectomy (aka lumpectomy) + XRT has similar curative potential to mastectomy -- and it is the prefered option UNLESS (1) the breast is too small for a good cosmetic result (2) the patient is unwilling/unable to undergo XRT (e.g. previous irradiation to the area, person lives too far from nearest XRT site) (3) patient preference (4) recurrent disease after breast conserving therapy.

The other stuff is pretty minor, so read through it but dont' obsess over it untill you know the other stuff real well.

Best,
Anka

Thanks Anka...Very helpful information!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only thing I remember specifically needing to know about cancer staging was that cervical cancer stage 3B is when it obstructs the ureter... thus hydronephrosis occurs.

My course director told me that there is usually a question or two on cancer staging, but I guess it depends on the exam. Overall, it doesn't seem very high yield. :luck: :luck:

I just took it on Friday. There was no staging question. I see that stuff in review books, but I am yet to see a question appear in any test. Very low yield in my opinion.

I just took the OB Shelf a couple of weeks ago... cancer staging is very low-yield.... I agree with TiredMom about cervical cancer Stage IIIB being a classic question they LOVE to ask... I felt my Shelf had a lot more OB than Gyn questions. From the gyn subjects...urinary incontinence is also a favorite:luck: Good luck!

Was there any anatomy questions on the shelf? A&L has a whole section with anatomy questions that scares me.

No anatomy on my shelf.

Best,
Anka