Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Quick questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by FuturePharmD, May 6, 2004.

1. FuturePharmD

FuturePharmD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Just a newbie on this forum, was actually directed here by a pal of mine. I wanted to find out if one can go to Pharm School part-time or whether it must be a fulltime venture. I'm going to be graduating in 2005 by God's grace as a Bio major with a minor in Soc and was wondering if I could just graduate, work for a while in order to save up money to go to Pharm school or just work and go part-time.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions are all welcome. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm in AL and they don't do that here unless you fail of course and then you're not allowed to continue in all courses and have to play "catch up."

Good luck with that....

4. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

I'm almost positive that every PharmD program is full time only. Some non-trad pharmD programs might be nights or part time, but those are only for BS pharms who want the PharmD. :thumbup:

5. Caverject

Caverject Try Some Schnitzel!
    10+ Year Member

Well, there is always Creighton's fully online program. If you want to do pharmacy though, you need to have your priority and concentrate fully on pharmacy :)

6. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I didn't know if they all were or not b/c I know our flunkies have found places that offer courses in the summer like pharmacology. I think oklahoma was a big one they were looking into.
    With that information I thought that those schools who are offering things in the summer might let you lighten your load in during the year to something like 14-15 hrs. Which is still "full time" but would offer more opportunity to work.

7. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

I wonder if every class has to be taken from a "pharmacy" school. For instance, would they let someone take pharmacology with the MS or PhD pharmacology students at another school?

8. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    There's a guy in my class with a PhD in pharmacology and they are making him take the entire sequence of pharmacology classes. They didn't even let him out of the 1 credit intro course.

9. FuturePharmD

FuturePharmD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for the heads up on this guys. I am an international student and as such I also was curious to know if financial aid and or scholarships, grants and things of the sort are available to us. I know in my undergrad we aren't qualified for fin aid.

10. afrikankoffee

afrikankoffee Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I believe there are some private schools that have scholarships for students regardless of your status after your first year enrolled. I know Howard does.
    Good luck! :)