Quick Reapplicant Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Read thread for full question.

• Submit in June with old MCAT

• Submit in August with new MCAT

Results are only viewable after voting.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm still looking for advice if I have to reapply next cycle. Right now I'm on two waitlists, but I have a new application ready to go for 2017/2018 just in case.

Current stats: cGPA 3.81 sGPA 3.88 MCAT 505

Question: If I plan to retake the MCAT in July, which timeline would yield me the best results: applying with my current MCAT right away in June, and waiting for my new MCAT score to fill in later in August: or wait to submit until August when I have my new MCAT score.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I'm still looking for advice if I have to reapply next cycle. Right now I'm on two waitlists, but I have a new application ready to go for 2017/2018 just in case.

Question: If I plan to retake the MCAT in July, which timeline would yield me the best results: applying with my current MCAT right away in June, and waiting for my new MCAT score to fill in later in August: or wait to submit until August when I have my new MCAT score.

Thanks!

If I were you, I would submit to one throwaway school to get verified in June and then add the rest of your schools once you get your new MCAT score.

Reactions: 3 users
Depends what you're expecting for the new score. If it's going to be a lot higher it makes sense to wait, to avoid the possibility of schools reviewing you with only the 505 visible. If it is going to only be a few points higher, then you probably benefit more from the earlier review.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh the above is for sure the way to go for the first step - you def want to get the verification out of the way.

The question is really when to send your verified primary out. Like I said if you're expecting the new score to be significantly higher, then you should wait to add your schools until after the new score gets added. If it is going to be similar, then you should go ahead and submit to all schools ASAP, so you can be reviewed earlier.

Oh the above is for sure the way to go for the first step - you def want to get the verification out of the way.

The question is really when to send your verified primary out. Like I said if you're expecting the new score to be significantly higher, then you should wait to add your schools until after the new score gets added. If it is going to be similar, then you should go ahead and submit to all schools ASAP, so you can be reviewed earlier.
My plan was to see what my practice test scores are looking like come June. If it's 5+ points higher on average, I'll retake. If I'm still scoring about the same, then I'm not gonna waste time retaking the MCAT

Submit with the poor score and you 'll get rejected at most places.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. Do you guys think waiting until August for the rest of my schools is too late, assuming I do the "apply to one school first" strategy?

Thanks for the advice. Do you guys think waiting until August for the rest of my schools is too late, assuming I do the "apply to one school first" strategy?
You'll be fine. For both MD and DO.

Reactions: 1 user