Quick resource to prepare for path rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Getupagain2620

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, I'm an ms3 who is about to start his 2 week path elective in about 5 weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for quick books or other resources I could look over (keeping in mind I have to dedicate some time to studying for ob/gyn which I am on now) before my elective starts. 2 week isn't too long of a time to explore path or make an impression with the department, so I was really hoping to be as prepared as I can. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You really shouldn't need anything. Pathologists will have zero expectations from medical students.

If you want, you could always read Robbins. If you are dead set on spending money you could pick up a copy of Molavi's "The Practice of Surgical Pathology." I would probably only recommend the latter if you plan on going into pathology as it would be a waste of $90 otherwise.

You really shouldn't need anything. Pathologists will have zero expectations from medical students.

If you want, you could always read Robbins. If you are dead set on spending money you could pick up a copy of Molavi's "The Practice of Surgical Pathology." I would probably only recommend the latter if you plan on going into pathology as it would be a waste of $90 otherwise.
Concur with all these points.

Members don't see this ad :)
I expect rotating medical students to have read all 4 volumes of DeMay's The Art and Science of Cytopathology before they sit with me (kidding).

I actually pimp medical students on physiology more than histology. Histology will come over the course of residency, but a medical student weak in physiology will be a weak pathology resident--form follows function.

Examples:

These are G-cells and they look to be increased. Why might there be G-cell hyperplasia in this gastric antral biopsy medical student?

Explain to me medical student why the FTA-ABS remains positive in this patient even though he's been treated for his syphilis?

Histology will come over the course of residency, but a medical student weak in physiology will be a weak pathology resident

I don't know about that. A good pathophysiology background will certainly help. But, grasping abstract physiologic concepts such as Poiseuille's Law and the Starling mechanism doesn't preclude proficiency in image/pattern-based recognition in the Art (& Science) of Histopathology. And vice versa...I've seen people who had solid scope skills, but wouldn't be able to prattle off the adrenocorticoid synthesis pathway or the Krebs cycle to save their life.

--form follows function.

And then function trumps form when it comes to bringing bringing home the bacon.

That's appropriate to ask such questions to med students, as in the case of the OP. But, I'd be willing to bet a a lot of private practice pathologists could not answer those questions...

Last edited:
I don't know about that. A good pathophysiology background will certainly help. But, grasping abstract physiologic concepts such as Poiseuille's Law and the Starling mechanism doesn't preclude proficiency in image/pattern-based recognition in the Art (& Science) of Histopathology. And vice versa...I've seen people who had solid scope skills, but couldn't prattle off the adrenocorticoid synthesis pathway or the Krebs cycle.

And then function trumps form when it comes to bringing bringing home the bacon.

That's appropriate to ask such questions to med students, as in the case of the OP. But, I'd be willing to bet a a lot of private practice pathologists could not answer those questions...

That's about as far as I'd go for med students too. Most of them aren't really interested in pathology anyway, they just want a light rotation so they can go out on the weekends.

Fwiw, I am interested in doing path, though I am not entirely decided. Still considering neuro and anesthesia, but I'd say path is in the lead (despite having read a lot of posts on this forum that have been discouraging :p)

One should not be discouraged by the handful of discontented souls who post on this forum.

Reactions: 1 user
I would personally review normal histology. It might make looking at slides more enjoyable.

The basic expectation is that you'll at the very least contribute you attention to the microscope at sign-out with a good and interested attitude.