Quick silly question about counseling laws in NYS

Started by mik30102
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mik30102

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone I just had a strange experience at a local cvs and wanted to see if the law has changed in NYS since I took juris a few months ago. I just picked up some levaquin at my local cvs which is a extremely overworked store. After waiting quite some time to pick it up (which I'm okay with!) I was told I must be counseled by the pharmacist. I politely refused explaining I am a P4 student who is familiar with levaquin and that I had no questions. The tech insisted I had to be counseled and that I could not refuse, I began to get a little annoyed and again said I am refusing counseling. They claimed no patient may refuse counseling on new scripts and so I Had to wait another 15 minutes to speak with the pharmacist, where I just told him the counseling points and walked away... I know counseling is "required" on new scripts and changes in medication frequency/dose but I was always under the impression patients may refuse all counseling with the pharmacist just having to document refusal (or that was at least what I did on my retail APPE a few months ago...). I don't understand why I was forced to wait longer since I received no benefit while exposing the rest of the patients at the pharmacy to whatever I have.
 
The pharmacy can't really have a policy to allow you to refuse counseling, but they also can't physically restrain you from leaving. If you can get your hands on your meds, feel free to bolt out of there.