Quinnipiac vs RFU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

changingovations

Reaction score
I am from MA and interested in either pathology or radiology residency programs. I am truly split between the two schools. The most important factor for me is the ability to set me up for the best residency spot possible and I ideally would like to do my residency in New England. I find it hard to compare the residency placements because quin is so much smaller than RFU so of course a specialty like pathology is rarely going to be covered in their match. RFU has like maybe one or two pathology placements in the past few years. They both have a solid number of radiology placements. TIA for any advise or opinions <3

Quinnipiac:
Pros-
  • Closer to home
  • small program
  • I can see myself living and working in CT in the future
  • I have family in the area
  • professors are extremely focused on teaching
  • slightly less expensive and I wouldn’t have to pay to fly home
  • From Match lists there are tons of people matching into residency locations I would love to go to but not necessarily in the specialties I am interested in.
  • Weeklong break for thanksgiving
Cons-
  • Suburban
  • relatively new school
  • not a whole lot of alumni so im not able to find alum at any local boston/MA hospitals in the specialties I want
  • no affiliated hospitals
  • very little research done at the school itself
  • primary care focused
RFU:
Pros-
  • Larger program
  • much older school
  • when I search local hospitals (around boston) I am able to find graduates from RFU in a few of the specialties I am interested in
  • slightly more funding for research (but will still have to travel to other institutions for research)
  • have more people going into the specialties I am interested in but much less going to residency locations I would want (ie anywhere in MA or CT)
Cons-
  • Suburban, North Chicago, Ive never been to the midwest so I have a hard time imaging myself living and working there in the future
  • far away from home
  • no affiliated hospitals
  • will need to pay for flights every time I want to go home meaning it will be less likely I will go home for thanksgiving and other events
  • Very few residency matches into hospitals in New England

Members don't see this ad.

Since neither has affiliated hospitals and RFU is less convenient, I’d recommend Quinnipiac.

Former New England resident and M1 at RFU. Research here is hit or miss just like Quinnipiac. I got some early on in M1 year, but others were not successful. Summer research chances are better. Granted RFU does not have a primary teaching hospital, but we 15 partner hospitals and some great affiliates as well (Lutheran, Christ Hospital, Masonic, Condell, and Cook County to name a few). Our path team is PHENOMENAL in my opinion, including the department chair (something to keep in mind), and we do have good research in radiology as well. But that's just my opinion. Flights are a pain, though we have a lot of cheap ones out of O'Hare to NYC and Boston so that's cool. Few things to consider. 1.) If you get scholarship money between now and April 30. 2.) Match rates- RFU's is solid, but idk Quinnipiac's could be solid too. 3.) Proximity to support system being a plus in CT. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Former New England resident and M1 at RFU. Research here is hit or miss just like Quinnipiac. I got some early on in M1 year, but others were not successful. Summer research chances are better. Granted RFU does not have a primary teaching hospital, but we 15 partner hospitals and some great affiliates as well (Lutheran, Christ Hospital, Masonic, Condell, and Cook County to name a few). Our path team is PHENOMENAL in my opinion, including the department chair (something to keep in mind), and we do have good research in radiology as well. But that's just my opinion. Flights are a pain, though we have a lot of cheap ones out of O'Hare to NYC and Boston so that's cool. Few things to consider. 1.) If you get scholarship money between now and April 30. 2.) Match rates- RFU's is solid, but idk Quinnipiac's could be solid too. 3.) Proximity to support system being a plus in CT. Good luck!
Thank you so much! i really appreciate hearing from someone else from new england. im glad to hear everything about the pathology team/department! how often do you come back to NE?

I've only been here in Chicago since August. I only went back for a few days over winter break. I plan to go back one more time in June. My projection is 1-3 times/yr between now and graduation.

Reactions: 1 user