Quit job 20 days before medical school or 54 and lose out on about $10K?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Snow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in a sales position and July is the best month. I begin school Aug 20 next year. Should I plan to quit after June and road trip across America for a month or just continue to work and have 20 days to relax and prepare before school starts? I know 10k is a lot of money and would pay most of my living expenses for the first year, but this will probably be the last time I can travel stress free for many years. What would y’all do?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I say road trip. $10k is a drop in the bucket in terms of med school loans.
That said, $10k is still a lot of money and will be even more once you pay interest in it. It’s really up to you, but road tripping is awesome.

Reactions: 3 users
And I would probably spend 2-3 thousand so I would be net -13ish. I have been working this job during my whole gap year though so I will still have a lot saved up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say you quit now and tell them to hire me! $10k in a month!? I’ll take that!!

Reactions: 2 users
Take the 10k.

Reactions: 1 users
Man, IdI love to have $10k right now. I say take it. But that's coming from a poor boy.

I would quit in a heartbeat money is never worth your happiness. There’s not much difference between 240 and $250,000 in debt plus it might help you not burn out later on and save you tons more time and money. Just consider it an investment in your mental well-being

These people are nutso. At most schools you can travel your summer after M1. And for $13,000 you can give yourself an insanely nice vacation, or just increase your quality of life noticeably over your entire first year.

Reactions: 9 users
I say do whatever would make you happier, for some people that'd be the road trip, for others that'd be 13k (or what 13k can buy you).

I would work for the $10k. No question. But I don't come from much and that's a whole lot of money for me.

I would take the money. I dunno if you have to move for med school but if you are, moving is expensive. Security deposits, 1st/last month rent, paying for the internet/utilities to get set-up, buying new furniture, etc. If I did things over before medical school, I would've worked a few extra week. It was a tight first month when I moved since that student loan money didn't come in until a week or 2 before school actually started. Granted, if you make that kind of money, you might have plenty of savings for moving expenses anyway so it might not make a difference for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I would take the money. I dunno if you have to move for med school but if you are, moving is expensive. Security deposits, 1st/last month rent, paying for the internet/utilities to get set-up, buying new furniture, etc. If I did things over before medical school, I would've worked a few extra week. It was a tight first month when I moved since that student loan money didn't come in until a week or 2 before school actually started. Granted, if you make that kind of money, you might have plenty of savings for moving expenses anyway so it might not make a difference for you.

This. There are a lot of unexpected costs that pop up in the last week or two before medical school. Plus if you end up not spending that you can definitely take a really nice vacation after M1. Trust me when I say you'll likely need a vacation after M1 far more than you will before even starting med school. At the end of the day, you do you. As someone who is on the other side and trying to pay off debts and raise a family, that $10k would go a really long way right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I’ll be working! I guess I could still do a week or 2 trip before school starts. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Reactions: 5 users
If you have never had a chance to vacation or have any fun, then be sure to take a break. I regret not quitting my job a few weeks earlier. I worked all through high school and should have taken a couple of weeks before med school.

You'll have plenty of time to travel during the summer between MS1 and MS2. MS4 is also a breeze. 10k in case is a ton of money for a medical student.

I would quit in a heartbeat money is never worth your happiness. There’s not much difference between 240 and $250,000 in debt plus it might help you not burn out later on and save you tons more time and money. Just consider it an investment in your mental well-being

That kind of thinking has been the road to financial problems and misery for eons. Being financially prudent is an investment in your mental well-being.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah it can be worth it even if your only concern is comfort and happiness. Living on 30k/yr is much, much more comfortable than 20k/yr. Bigger place, better food, a nice new computer for school...you'll thank yourself for the extra $$$

10,000?!?! IS YOU CRAZY? IN A MONTH?

I need a job like that. Man some ppl got all the luck

I personally would take the road trip. Once Med school starts you're gonna get caught in the vicious cycle of making yourself competitive for the match. Your M1 summer which is your only free summer in med school , you will prob spend doing research because everyone else will be and you don't want to be left behind. M2 is the USMLE and then M3 and M4 is rotations...match..residency..etc. Basically once med school starts you are locked into place for the next 4 years unless you do your rotations at a cool place, which is still not the same as traveling for the sake of traveling. Yes being financially prudent is important but traveling by yourself is truly an amazing experience. I don't think anyone I know thats traveled solo before medical school or undergrad has ever regretted the experience. I know more people who regret their weddings or having a child then the solo backpacking trips they've been on to be honest haha.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but looking back to this moment 20-30 years in the future when you have a spouse, kids, and obligations that tie you down, are you going to regret not going on the trip or missing out on $10k more?

That kind of thinking has been the road to financial problems and misery for eons. Being financially prudent is an investment in your mental well-being.
We’re not talking about establishing financial habits. We’re talking about 1 trip before a 7-12 year educational journey. 10k$ is not much money in the grand scheme of that journey.

Man, I would love to have 10,000$. Could have a car that doesn't break down all the time. Never been on a trip or a vacation. I just want some stability is all

Could you compromise by doing both? Take a 5-7 day vacation after finishing up then have 2 weeks to get situated for school. I would take the money if it's one or the other though. While 10k is a "drop in the bucket", that could pay for the majority (or all) of your living expenses for a year. I'm trying to save up that much throughout my entire gap year lol.

For real, I’m just tryna have 1000 in my hand at one time

Imagine being able to give up 10 k lol. I can’t even fathom that; I’d work *during* med school as long as I could if it meant 10 k a month haha
Lol same. Man, that's like a third of yearly gross income.

I don’t know if I’ve ever made more than 25 stacks in a year, but at least I don’t have to pay tax on it that helps

I’m in a sales position and July is the best month. I begin school Aug 20 next year. Should I plan to quit after June and road trip across America for a month or just continue to work and have 20 days to relax and prepare before school starts? I know 10k is a lot of money and would pay most of my living expenses for the first year, but this will probably be the last time I can travel stress free for many years. What would y’all do?

My first reaction: o_O "What in the world is wrong with you?! :eek: be a responsible adult and keep your job!"

But then again, ofcourse I'd say that! ... I'm old, boring, and have too many kids to support. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You do you OP :hardy: and Congrats!! :soexcited::woot::clap: