Quit pharmacy profession and life got better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metformin800

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I quit my pharmacist job as new grad just after working for 6 months in retail. After quitting I took One year off to take care of my mental health and figure out what career I want to pursue. I recently started working remotely, it’s health care non pharmacy job. It’s huge pay cut from pharmacy but working hours and conditions are so much better. I can roll out of bed and start working, can eat or take breaks when I want. I was already recognized for my work. I love that how my managers appreciating of my work, something I never received in pharmacy jobs. Most importantly my health health improved dramatically. I am way more happier and I don’t hate going to work any more. I always look forward to working now. I created this post for others who wants to get out of it, it’s worth it. I must add though I don’t have loans or other big obligations so I was able to take such big risk pay cut wise but I have realized my mental health is way more important than pay. i know someone who got out like me as new grad and they haven’t looked back either. They are working in tech making more than pharmacy new grad salary.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
That’s cool, dude - congrats. Only caution I would give would be to be careful about the long term effects of work-at-home. For me, it was extreme laziness and gain of weight. When I realized that I could do 100% of my work on a lazy-boy in my chonies, things got a little out of hand. Your brain will rationalize the behavior by telling you that you are working 45/week what’s the problem? My family had to have an intervention of sorts. What can I say - no one is perfect…. Right?

I’m back out and about. I only do about 30% work at home now.

But otherwise - that’s great! Is it medical records? I know if a lot of medical records jobs that can be done at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I quit my pharmacist job as new grad just after working for 6 months in retail. After quitting I took One year off to take care of my mental health and figure out what career I want to pursue. I recently started working remotely, it’s health care non pharmacy job. It’s huge pay cut from pharmacy but working hours and conditions are so much better. I can roll out of bed and start working, can eat or take breaks when I want. I was already recognized for my work. I love that how my managers appreciating of my work, something I never received in pharmacy jobs. Most importantly my health health improved dramatically. I am way more happier and I don’t hate going to work any more. I always look forward to working now. I created this post for others who wants to get out of it, it’s worth it. I must add though I don’t have loans or other big obligations so I was able to take such big risk pay cut wise but I have realized my mental health is way more important than pay. i know someone who got out like me as new grad and they haven’t looked back either. They are working in tech making more than pharmacy new grad salary.
Hi! I tried to send you a PM but I think the profile is restricted. I worked in retail for 5 years, took a contract position recently and it was supposed to be 6 months long, but after 3 months they ran out of work and I just found myself unemployed for the first time. I am interested in what non health care jobs there may be. Most that I've seen require previous experience that doesn't match what I have from retail. Just wondering if you'd be willing to share or point me in a direction to look.

I am happy for you for getting to take care of your mental health <3 I haven't felt happier in a long time than in these past few months, but winding up jobless unexpectedly definitely feels like a hit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I tried to send you a PM but I think the profile is restricted. I worked in retail for 5 years, took a contract position recently and it was supposed to be 6 months long, but after 3 months they ran out of work and I just found myself unemployed for the first time. I am interested in what non health care jobs there may be. Most that I've seen require previous experience that doesn't match what I have from retail. Just wondering if you'd be willing to share or point me in a direction to look.

I am happy for you for getting to take care of your mental health <3 I haven't felt happier in a long time than in these past few months, but winding up jobless unexpectedly definitely feels like a hit.
I’m in the exact same situation. I left retail after about 4 years to work a contract position. It was supposed to last until May but unexpectedly ended last week. The last few months have done wonders for my mental health but now I’m not really sure what direction to go in

Reactions: 1 user
I’m in the exact same situation. I left retail after about 4 years to work a contract position. It was supposed to last until May but unexpectedly ended last week. The last few months have done wonders for my mental health but now I’m not really sure what direction to go in
I wonder if we might be from the same actual boat. The dates line up! Going into it, I thought worse case I would be doing a job search in the summer but would have had at least a few months out of retail to figure out where to go next if the contract position didn't lead anywhere.

That’s cool, dude - congrats. Only caution I would give would be to be careful about the long term effects of work-at-home. For me, it was extreme laziness and gain of weight. When I realized that I could do 100% of my work on a lazy-boy in my chonies, things got a little out of hand. Your brain will rationalize the behavior by telling you that you are working 45/week what’s the problem? My family had to have an intervention of sorts. What can I say - no one is perfect…. Right?

I’m back out and about. I only do about 30% work at home now.

But otherwise - that’s great! Is it medical records? I know if a lot of medical records jobs that can be done at home.
Yeah that's true but so far I like it. I do go on walks daily for hour so I don't end up gaining so much weight. So far I like remote and think I could never go back to working in person. Lets see if this will be continue to be option as we near the end of pandemic.
Nah its not medical records, its with health insurance company.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah that's true but so far I like it. I do go on walks daily for hour so I don't end up gaining so much weight. So far I like remote and think I could never go back to working in person. Lets see if this will be continue to be option as we near the end of pandemic.
I too enjoy being remote for the flexibility it offers to do other things and no commute. Think about all the time you wasted on the road.

How much of a paycut vs pharmacy?

Damn. Can you afford a house on that salary?

Not sure if anyone can afford a to buy a new house in the current market even if you have a 100k+ salary.

I bought my current house in late 2019 and I’m sitting on a 70% equity increase. I’m about to sell this hunk of crap to someone crazy enough to buy it and rent for the rest of my life. Screw home ownership at this point.

Not sure if anyone can afford a to buy a new house in the current market even if you have a 100k+ salary.

I bought my current house in late 2019 and I’m sitting on a 70% equity increase. I’m about to sell this hunk of crap to someone crazy enough to buy it and rent for the rest of my life. Screw home ownership at this point.
Yep. Renting is the way to go. At least you have your freedom

60k on how many hours a week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Except that rent has been going up too. I don't think there is an easy answer too. Saw some article earlier that in half the markets rent is the way to go and in half buying is. I agree though many more headaches with owning.

Reactions: 2 users
Damn. Can you afford a house on that salary?
I don't have any bills to pay, fortunately. I mentioned that on my original post. No loans or bills. That's why I recommend not to do this for people who have loans or have bills to pay.

I don't have any bills to pay, fortunately. I mentioned that on my original post. No loans or bills. That's why I recommend not to do this for people who have loans or have bills to pay.

I know but in many areas you'd need like 150k down payment, then mortgage/insurance/taxes will be close to 3k/mo for 30 years plus maintenance/repairs, improvements, furniture, decorations, utilities etc. Can't do that on 60k even with no debt in a lot of places.

We also bought around that time and Zillow says our house went up 27% since then. That just means we pay higher property taxes each year. Problem is if we sell, rent costs the same as the mortgage and goes up every year, whereas the mortgage is the same for 30 years. So we are better off owning and building equity.

I know but in many areas you'd need like 150k down payment, then mortgage/insurance/taxes will be close to 3k/mo for 30 years plus maintenance/repairs, improvements, furniture, decorations, utilities etc. Can't do that on 60k even with no debt in a lot of places.
my spouse has paid for house so I don't need to worry for house mortgage too. lol

• Wow
We also bought around that time and Zillow says our house went up 27% since then. That just means we pay higher property taxes each year. Problem is if we sell, rent costs the same as the mortgage and goes up every year, whereas the mortgage is the same for 30 years. So we are better off owning and building equity.

I am fortunate to live in a location that experienced the strongest price surge in the entire country - housing prices have almost doubled in the past 5 years.

I totally understand your rationale. However, I have concluded that the prices of homes have become entirely unsustainable for the general American population and has locked out about 75% of our population. I believe that “the powers that be” will recognize this and do whatever they can to drive prices down (I don’t know how it will happen) and ultimately crash the housing market in an ugly way.

I sell next month - rent for the next 3-5 years, and hope I made the right decision and buy in again in about 5 years. That’s my plan

• Hmm
I am fortunate to live in a location that experienced the strongest price surge in the entire country - housing prices have almost doubled in the past 5 years.

I totally understand your rationale. However, I have concluded that the prices of homes have become entirely unsustainable for the general American population and has locked out about 75% of our population. I believe that “the powers that be” will recognize this and do whatever they can to drive prices down (I don’t know how it will happen) and ultimately crash the housing market in an ugly way.

I sell next month - rent for the next 3-5 years, and hope I made the right decision and buy in again in about 5 years. That’s my plan

They don't care if 75% of the population can't afford a home. They already have their homes and their families and friends do too. They're not going to drive their home values down if they can help it.

Well damn, why did you even get a pharmD?
I question that decision every damn day now. I always wanted to be pharmacist and when I realized it was the worst decision it was too late so went ahead and finish the program.

I don't get it. I would rather work 20-25 hours a week in pharmacy with some weekends and make that. There are jobs to be had if you have some flexibility and work weekends here and there instead of doing 40 hours a week.

I don't get it. I would rather work 20-25 hours a week in pharmacy with some weekends and make that. There are jobs to be had if you have some flexibility and work weekends here and there instead of doing 40 hours a week.
I rarely use my brain at my current job while sitting in comfort of my home. I can eat when I want, I can use restroom when want. I can roll out of bed and get on my desk to work. I can do coffee run when I want in midst of my shift. Also I don't work weekend or major holidays.Most importantly I don't deal with public!!! No way in hell I would go back to pharmacy hell not even part time lol

• Hmm
20-25 in a pharmacy is still enough to go insane. Don’t blame him for getting out

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
20-25 in a pharmacy is still enough to go insane. Don’t blame him for getting out

Couldn’t agree more…

I am not joking when I say that I would take orders at Taco Bell before I ever explain why someone’s insurance was rejected and a PA is needed, and for them to shake their head and swing their stinky purse in my face saying it’s my fault, at Walgreens ever again.

Student loans be damned. I’ll freaking move to a mountain in Montana in a trailer to avoid that.

That’s how I feel about the current state of retail pharmacy, and trust me, I’ve earned my bones behind the counter.

Reactions: 5 users
To each their own I guess. I am doing about 30. And it is night and day compared to 40 hours a week. If I cut it down to 20-25, my qol would improve even more.

• Hmm
To each their own I guess. I am doing about 30. And it is night and day compared to 40 hours a week. If I cut it down to 20-25, my qol would improve even more.
I said in my post previously I am scheduled to work 40 hours but I don't work full 40 hours, there are days where I literally have nothing to do but to sit on my desk watch social media or apply more jobs. lol No amount of money can lure me into retail world of pharmacy right now. Every time now I go to pharmacy to get my script I see how miserable pharmacist are and It reminds of my days and I thank God for being on other side of that door lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I said in my post previously I am scheduled to work 40 hours but I don't work full 40 hours, there are days where I literally have nothing to do but to sit on my desk watch social media or apply more jobs. lol No amount of money can lure me into retail world of pharmacy right now. Every time now I go to pharmacy to get my script I see how miserable pharmacist are and It reminds of my days and I thank God for being on other side of that door lol

This is true - every pharmacy in my area has a line at least 5 to 6 parties deep doing that crossed arms, hip popped, and snide facial expression thing going on

• Angry
Every time now I go to pharmacy to get my script I see how miserable pharmacist are and It reminds of my days and I thank God for being on other side of that door lol
Same here.

This is true - every pharmacy in my area has a line at least 5 to 6 parties deep doing that crossed arms, hip popped, and snide facial expression thing going on

Someone in my neighborhood FB group complained about CVS bring closed for lunch. No one ever complains about the doctor's office being closed for lunch.

• Hmm
  • Sad
Someone in my neighborhood FB group complained about CVS bring closed for lunch. No one ever complains about the doctor's office being closed for lunch.
Yeah people would gladly wait for food or their coffee at fast food chains but would go crazy if they had to wait at pharmacy.

Yeah people would gladly wait for food or their coffee at fast food chains but would go crazy if they had to wait at pharmacy.
I worked at McDonald’s when I was in high school and trust me they get treated like **** as well by customers. It’s amazing the anger you can cause some one by forgetting to add a pickle.

• Haha
I worked at McDonald’s when I was in high school and trust me they get treated like **** as well by customers. It’s amazing the anger you can cause some one by forgetting to add a pickle.
Ding ding ding. People have no perspective. Most people I dealt with in pharmacy were nicer to me than the people I dealt with when I worked an outlet store or a grocery store. Working with the public is crap regardless of where. The idea that people don’t complain at doctors offices or that they are happy to wait for food is laughably out of touch with reality.

Ding ding ding. People have no perspective. Most people I dealt with in pharmacy were nicer to me than the people I dealt with when I worked an outlet store or a grocery store. Working with the public is crap regardless of where. The idea that people don’t complain at doctors offices or that they are happy to wait for food is laughably out of touch with reality.

My first job as a teenager was at Burger King and I don't recall getting yelled at by customers like I did in the pharmacy. If you didn't want to face customers, you could work in the back stations. Throw frozen beef patties on the broiler, put hamburgers together, french fry station or dishes. Those were all busy at lunch but you never got yelled at.

I also picked up cashier shifts at Target. Those were pretty chill. Never had any mad customers there.

My first job as a teenager was at Burger King and I don't recall getting yelled at by customers like I did in the pharmacy. If you didn't want to face customers, you could work in the back stations. Throw frozen beef patties on the broiler, put hamburgers together, french fry station or dishes. Those were all busy at lunch but you never got yelled at.

I also picked up cashier shifts at Target. Those were pretty chill. Never had any mad customers there.
That’s like saying you can avoid angry patients by counting pills instead of running the register. They still exist even if “you” don’t deal with them, lol

I am happy for you. I don’t know how anyone can be a cashier and not have any mad customers but that’s great for you.

That’s like saying you can avoid angry patients by counting pills instead of running the register. They still exist even if “you” don’t deal with them, lol

I am happy for you. I don’t know how anyone can be a cashier and not have any mad customers but that’s great for you.

Guess I was lucky as a cashier. Maybe I had a nice store. I even worked a black Friday and no one got mad. I had to turn on the blinking light for an item that didn't scan, and people got annoyed. That was pretty much it.

Yes and no. It vastly depends on the value of money. If you owned between 1900 and 1930, you were doubly screwed by deflationary cycles (Panic of 1906 and the Great Depression). What destroyed small farms was that depreciation set the prices of crops to 1/3 of their normal value and the mortgage payments are the same.

So, the "Yes" comes from what you just stated. When you "own" with a mortgage, you fix your rent at a certain level unless you're stupid enough to own with variable interest (especially given that the Feds are going to go nuts when they figure out that they have 0 control over inflation without Volcker rates). The negative part of the play is that "deflation" comes from you or your partner not being employed. So, you have to work to make the mortgage payment at least, which is why I never recommend a mortgage payment more than 50% of the net household income (the official states less, but in practice, most pay more than 50% of their household income when accounting for house maintenance, taxes, and insurance).

The No comes from 2 reasons. If you owned in many urban area in 1900-1930 or 1960-1990, you were either screwed by the financial panics or in the latter case, the reduction of city services. If you lived in downtown Baltimore or Detroit, you were totally screwed as the city services stopped working for you and crime escalated as well as utilities failed (no reliable water, power, or gas) with escalating property taxes to offset Section 8 and other property tax deadbeats. When you own, your risk is that you maintain that level of income and your community doesn't go to hell, both of which are not necessarily guaranteed.

The interesting question is whether living in the suburbs and the country is going to be viable for those who commute 20+ miles. This is prohibitively expensive in most places in the world including Europe as gas and car prices are really high. The average household may be priced out of this too soon. It was only in the 80s where a two car household became usual in the middle class. With gas and cars going up, perhaps we revert to such an era and that makes suburbian life much less tenable. The Republicans may get their wish for a barefoot and domestic spouse. However, they may be disappointed that I think more guys would be happy to make their wives work and they sit at home with Call of Duty and on their third can by 11:00 AM as they'll be legal for when they pick up the kids at 3:00.

By the way, $60k is ABOVE the median and mean incomes in the vast majority of metropolitans. And if you can't make it work on that amount, think about making less. As much as we grouse about our lot, it's nice to know that we can actually take that level of debt safely though it is worrisome that the security net is not there for us either.

Yes and no. It vastly depends on the value of money. If you owned between 1900 and 1930, you were doubly screwed by deflationary cycles (Panic of 1906 and the Great Depression). What destroyed small farms was that depreciation set the prices of crops to 1/3 of their normal value and the mortgage payments are the same.

So, the "Yes" comes from what you just stated. When you "own" with a mortgage, you fix your rent at a certain level unless you're stupid enough to own with variable interest (especially given that the Feds are going to go nuts when they figure out that they have 0 control over inflation without Volcker rates). The negative part of the play is that "deflation" comes from you or your partner not being employed. So, you have to work to make the mortgage payment at least, which is why I never recommend a mortgage payment more than 50% of the net household income (the official states less, but in practice, most pay more than 50% of their household income when accounting for house maintenance, taxes, and insurance).

The No comes from 2 reasons. If you owned in many urban area in 1900-1930 or 1960-1990, you were either screwed by the financial panics or in the latter case, the reduction of city services. If you lived in downtown Baltimore or Detroit, you were totally screwed as the city services stopped working for you and crime escalated as well as utilities failed (no reliable water, power, or gas) with escalating property taxes to offset Section 8 and other property tax deadbeats. When you own, your risk is that you maintain that level of income and your community doesn't go to hell, both of which are not necessarily guaranteed.

The interesting question is whether living in the suburbs and the country is going to be viable for those who commute 20+ miles. This is prohibitively expensive in most places in the world including Europe as gas and car prices are really high. The average household may be priced out of this too soon. It was only in the 80s where a two car household became usual in the middle class. With gas and cars going up, perhaps we revert to such an era and that makes suburbian life much less tenable. The Republicans may get their wish for a barefoot and domestic spouse. However, they may be disappointed that I think more guys would be happy to make their wives work and they sit at home with Call of Duty and on their third can by 11:00 AM as they'll be legal for when they pick up the kids at 3:00.

By the way, $60k is ABOVE the median and mean incomes in the vast majority of metropolitans. And if you can't make it work on that amount, think about making less. As much as we grouse about our lot, it's nice to know that we can actually take that level of debt safely though it is worrisome that the security net is not there for us either.

Does 1900-1930 or even 1960-1990 apply to today?

We're definitely lucky we have above average incomes. I don't know how people with fixed incomes are making it right now with the cost of everything soaring.

• Sad
Does 1900-1930 or even 1960-1990 apply to today?

We're definitely lucky we have above average incomes. I don't know how people with fixed incomes are making it right now with the cost of everything soaring.
If we're lucky, 1900-1930 applies. If we're unlucky, 1960-1990 applies. The realistic idea though is that we will have inflation and wage suppression at once as consumer debt slavery is a feature that was not built into either of the earlier two periods. Gotta pay for lattes somehow, but input costs such as commodities are not getting any cheaper. If you are a petrol engineer or other commodities based, it looks like you're going to be in a boom cycle for 10 years. Commodities and services almost always have opposing fortunes, so we in services are about to go through a bust cycle where 20 years ago, we were booming and the commodities busted.

That's why I'm not terrifically worried about our lot. Income is relative, and as long as we keep our relative position, we'll eat, drink, and make merry and have a realistic chance of being debt free and being net positive. That said, NBER (Boston, Chicago, and Minneapolis) just did the 10 and 20 year IRS tax return analysis of all health professions graduates, and we were better off on average up until 25 years working a non-health professions college degree. It's only the 25 and 30 year time horizons where we come out ahead. This is a rather sad observation on how long it takes to dig ourselves out of the debt trench. If you're above average, you dig out faster, but think about how half of your class is today. Because most of my class was in their late 30s to early 40s when we graduated, many of them have retired and on the whole, raked it in just in time. As for the rest of us, we'll get out fine, but it'll be harder as it gets closer to the end.

What kind of position? I’m so happy for you. I’ve thought about doing it for so long too but didn’t know what field to go into.

How’d your friend get into tech?

HI guys,

I am the original poster here. Lost my other account. I actually changed jobs and now works for PBM but in tech side. :)

HI guys,

I am the original poster here. Lost my other account. I actually changed jobs and now works for PBM but in tech side. :)
Welcome back! How did you end up getting into tech? I’d love to hear your career progression and how you got there

Welcome back! How did you end up getting into tech? I’d love to hear your career progression and how you got there
Hi, thanks. So back in undergraduate when I was undecided, I did couple coding classes. Once I decided to leave pharmacist job, I started doing online courses for programming. I used Udemy, and did lot projects on my own to built my portfolio. Once I felt that I kinda knew my programming I started applying. I didn't get in job of my liking right away but I took it to built experience. Getting that first job is hard outside of tradition pharmacist market but once you do, door opens up. At my current job, having pharmacist background helps on top of my programming skills. Actually I came across many pharmacist who works in PBM but not as pharmacist. All different areas but pharmacist, I interacted with this pharmacist who is VP of sales in one of small PBM.

Hi, thanks. So back in undergraduate when I was undecided, I did couple coding classes. Once I decided to leave pharmacist job, I started doing online courses for programming. I used Udemy, and did lot projects on my own to built my portfolio. Once I felt that I kinda knew my programming I started applying. I didn't get in job of my liking right away but I took it to built experience. Getting that first job is hard outside of tradition pharmacist market but once you do, door opens up. At my current job, having pharmacist background helps on top of my programming skills. Actually I came across many pharmacist who works in PBM but not as pharmacist. All different areas but pharmacist, I interacted with this pharmacist who is VP of sales in one of small PBM.
This, along with going through a bootcamp, is the way to get into tech without a degree. Dont listen to anyone that states they got a senior position from watching youtube videos for 3 months. Just build a project that has both UI and backend development using a database. Possibly also make it using microservices rather than building a monolith. You don't need to build anything fancy, just the absolute basics to get your foot in the door

Hey!! Welcome back. What languages did you learn to code? Do you mind sharing what kind of role you’re in (title wise) or any tips? Thank you!

what state are you in?

Hi, metformin800!

(Cool username btw;)) That's so great to hear! I almost experienced the same thing as you: Started working retail (Good Ol Walgreens) straight out of pharmacy school, got fired bc I was **** at it and it stressed me out too much. I was lucky to work 2 PRN hospital pharmacist jobs that were a tonnn better in terms of work life balance but still received a paycut. I later moved to a different state to be closer to family and stupidly thought I could jump back into retail- that worked for 3 months and then I messed up and got fired (me and retail pharmacy are like water and oil), then I found a clinical pharmacist remote position that is also a paycut but offers all the work life balance you've mentioned. Only that they tend to run out of cases and that's why I'm gunning for a immunization pharmacist position at a retail store (applied to 2 places). I'm aiming for PT with the intention of adding extra hours pending my mental health. I could technically also pick up cases with the remote position as well if I feel like it. I'm almost pinching myself that this kind of job exists because you literally just give shots all day and that's it.

The monkey wrench here is I had to mention on the job application the fact that my license got put on probation for 2 years for stupid stress-fueled mistakes at the retail jobs, getting denied a DC pharmacy license for ummmm twisting the truth about why I got fired from Walgreens on my job application to Harris Teeter (a private investigator looked into all the **** that went town at Walgreen's Pharmacy), and I got the sinking feeling that even though this position doesn't require you to do actual retail pharmacist tasks (besides immunizations, which I was amazing at), they'll see this and wouldn't let me within 10 feet of their pharmacy. I could be overdramatic though. I'm curious to know if any one of you all have had your license put on probation for retail-related snafus but then hired later for something like an Immunization Pharmacist (they work in a retail setting BUT they don't do retail tasks, just give shots). To clarify, I'm only a train wreck when it comes to retail pharmacy, but I was superstar in my non-retail positions.

To add an element of hope and humor, I've attached this hilarious yet profound link to a ted talk starring comedian Drew Lynch that discusses how one should avoid tunnel vision. The tunnel I'm referring to is the thought that after you graduate pharmacy school, there's only retail and hospital and there's no way to branch out to other career paths that could be pharmacy or healthcare-adjacent, or simply a career that bring you happiness and fulfilment .: , or you can just google

Why curiosity gets you farther than ambition | Drew Lynch | TEDxNashville​

I'm happy to explain why I'm so awful at retail pharmacy and details surrounding the probation but you all have to promise to be nice an non-judgmental 😟 Also, let me know what you think about that ted talk!!

A big high five to all you who've finished reading this novel of a post! ;)
-farmerC1

Hi, metformin800!

(Cool username btw;)) That's so great to hear! I almost experienced the same thing as you: Started working retail (Good Ol Walgreens) straight out of pharmacy school, got fired bc I was **** at it and it stressed me out too much. I was lucky to work 2 PRN hospital pharmacist jobs that were a tonnn better in terms of work life balance but still received a paycut. I later moved to a different state to be closer to family and stupidly thought I could jump back into retail- that worked for 3 months and then I messed up and got fired (me and retail pharmacy are like water and oil), then I found a clinical pharmacist remote position that is also a paycut but offers all the work life balance you've mentioned. Only that they tend to run out of cases and that's why I'm gunning for a immunization pharmacist position at a retail store (applied to 2 places). I'm aiming for PT with the intention of adding extra hours pending my mental health. I could technically also pick up cases with the remote position as well if I feel like it. I'm almost pinching myself that this kind of job exists because you literally just give shots all day and that's it.

The monkey wrench here is I had to mention on the job application the fact that my license got put on probation for 2 years for stupid stress-fueled mistakes at the retail jobs, getting denied a DC pharmacy license for ummmm twisting the truth about why I got fired from Walgreens on my job application to Harris Teeter (a private investigator looked into all the **** that went town at Walgreen's Pharmacy), and I got the sinking feeling that even though this position doesn't require you to do actual retail pharmacist tasks (besides immunizations, which I was amazing at), they'll see this and wouldn't let me within 10 feet of their pharmacy. I could be overdramatic though. I'm curious to know if any one of you all have had your license put on probation for retail-related snafus but then hired later for something like an Immunization Pharmacist (they work in a retail setting BUT they don't do retail tasks, just give shots). To clarify, I'm only a train wreck when it comes to retail pharmacy, but I was superstar in my non-retail positions.

To add an element of hope and humor, I've attached this hilarious yet profound link to a ted talk starring comedian Drew Lynch that discusses how one should avoid tunnel vision. The tunnel I'm referring to is the thought that after you graduate pharmacy school, there's only retail and hospital and there's no way to branch out to other career paths that could be pharmacy or healthcare-adjacent, or simply a career that bring you happiness and fulfilment .: , or you can just google

Why curiosity gets you farther than ambition | Drew Lynch | TEDxNashville​

I'm happy to explain why I'm so awful at retail pharmacy and details surrounding the probation but you all have to promise to be nice an non-judgmental 😟 Also, let me know what you think about that ted talk!!

A big high five to all you who've finished reading this novel of a post! ;)
-farmerC1

Yes, do share why you think you suck at retail. I believe that retail and I do not get along either. I hope you get that job though!