Quit PT School for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S6MD

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm reposting here in the non-traditional forum. I did not get much of a response in the pre-med forum. Your thoughts and responses are much appreciated!

I was enrolled in a PT program; however, after the first semester, I realized that I wanted to pursue medicine (for a number of reasons I won't list here).

However, my #1 choice of med school is part of the same system of the PT program. Do you think this will hurt my chances to be accepted at this school?

I informed the PT program of my decision, and I left on seemingly really good terms. The head of the program wished me luck in my pursuit of a med admission, asked if she could do anything to help, and even went as far to say, "maybe I will see you around here in the future".

From a stat standpoint, I have a 3.9+ uGPA, solid EC's and LORs. Prepping for the MCAT now.

What do you guys think? I appreciate any and all responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm reposting here in the non-traditional forum. I did not get much of a response in the pre-med forum. Your thoughts and responses are much appreciated!

I was enrolled in a PT program; however, after the first semester, I realized that I wanted to pursue medicine (for a number of reasons I won't list here).

However, my #1 choice of med school is part of the same system of the PT program. Do you think this will hurt my chances to be accepted at this school?

I informed the PT program of my decision, and I left on seemingly really good terms. The head of the program wished me luck in my pursuit of a med admission, asked if she could do anything to help, and even went as far to say, "maybe I will see you around here in the future".

From a stat standpoint, I have a 3.9+ uGPA, solid EC's and LORs. Prepping for the MCAT now.

What is your question? Should you apply to your #1 school? It's your #1 school, and you wouldn't apply?

Hi everyone,

I think u'll have some difficulty with some school regarding not finishing ur PT program, quitting midstream is generally frowned upon. However, if u have good, solid, convincing reason(s) why u quit AND why med school would be different, then u shouldn't have an issue. Al the very least, this will be brought at almost all interviews.

Gdluck

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your question? Should you apply to your #1 school? It's your #1 school, and you wouldn't apply?

No. I will apply to my #1 school, but I was just interested in seeing if you thought this would hurt my chances substantially with this program. I had even considered applying to their ED program, and if I score well enough on the MKitty, I really might do it. Although, that's a separate question all together.

IMHO, it won't hurt you at that school more than any other school. Every med school, however, is going to expect you to have a good explanation for so recently leaving a grad program. I think you should find a way to explain it (in as positive a way as possible) in your PS, actually.