Quit research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working as a research tech at a Top 5 med school. This was my backup plan after I got a less than stellar MCAT score this summer. I decided to get a job, pay off my student loans and restudy for the MCAT. However, I can't help but feel completely miserable going to work every day. I don't enjoy the work I do nor being around my colleagues. I loathe every aspect of research and am realizing everyday lab life isn't for me. A big part of me wants to leave but my more logical side is telling me to stick it out since I'm already here. I also get to take free classes every semester to improve my GPA, which makes it even harder (my GPA could use a boost, but since I'm applying this summer, only the one class I'm taking this spring will show on my transcript).

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What did/would you do? I've been thinking about applying to non-science related jobs, but I don't know how this decision will be perceived by the adcom.

I'm grateful for being here, given things could have gone drastically different for me. However, I don't want to continue feeling this unhappy. I'm already seeing my productivity decline (not noticeable to anyone but me).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

P.S. I had research experience in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it research in general you hate or are you doing bench research and hate that? If you're doing bench work you could try and jump to a clinical job with patient contact, which might make you happier. I know people who successfully made that jump.

Also a non-science related job in healthcare or at a nonprofit working directly with clients would both be fine alternatives to academic research in terms of going to medical school.

Don't feel bad about hating lab work. You couldn't get me into a lab with a cattle prod and a million dollars and I've interviewed at many schools this year, holding several acceptances already. There are a lot of alternatives available to you.

Is it research in general you hate or are you doing bench research and hate that? If you're doing bench work you could try and jump to a clinical job with patient contact, which might make you happier. I know people who successfully made that jump.

Also a non-science related job in healthcare or at a nonprofit working directly with clients would both be fine alternatives to academic research in terms of going to medical school.

Don't feel bad about hating lab work. You couldn't get me into a lab with a cattle prod and a million dollars and I've interviewed at many Top 20 schools this year, holding several acceptances already. There are a lot of alternatives available to you.

I'm doing bench work. I had clinical research experience while I was abroad, but don't think I would enjoy it as much here. I'm also ready to do something completely different since I'm certain I want to go to med school. If there were a time to try something new, wouldn't it be now?

Congrats on the acceptances, by the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, I don't know...follow your gut I guess. Normally I would say to find a job that makes you happy but there are some critical details:
1. it is hard to find a job right now, especially for a short time, so you should be happy with making money and definitely do no quit without a backup secured
2. taking a free class is an incredible opportunity that I would have loved to have an it is particularly useful for your GPA, as you said

If you do not need money or have some alternative lined up, quit without looking back. If you don't, then your chances of finding something better in the next year and a half until you go to medical school are not so good that I would turn away from such a lucky position.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing bench work. I had clinical research experience while I was abroad, but don't think I would enjoy it as much here. I'm also ready to do something completely different since I'm certain I want to go to med school. If there were a time to try something new, wouldn't it be now?

Congrats on the acceptances, by the way!

Thanks! I'd say it's a time to try something new as long as whatever you can do does link into medical school. So while getting out of a job you loathe can make sense, I wouldn't do anything. But in my observation medical schools like it when people have work experience, and aren't as narrowly focused on lab experience as it sometimes seem (especially around here). I think I got as much attention for my volunteering and nonprofit work as for my clinical research experience depending on who I was talking to.

As kyamh said, you do have to base it in practicalities, but definitely explore options if you're really unhappy in the lab. Maybe something like an Americorps year would work better for you.

That sucks. Lab research isn't for everyone, although I think people's impressions about research can change drastically based on what their specific role is in the lab and who their coworkers are. My advice would be to look for another job that you can somehow relate to medicine. It doesn't even have to be science, as SN12357 said. The adcom won't care as long as you can fit it in to your broader "story." Also, if there is a part of your app that is lacking, you could try and find a job that helps to boost a weakness? Can't hurt to look for something while you're still working, but I wouldn't quit before I had something else lined up.

Think about your MCAT though. Lab jobs are usually pretty flexible with hours, and real world jobs usually aren't. You'll find bosses more sympathetic to employees applying to med school and splitting some time more often in a lab than out in the real word. Usually, techs are hired with the expectation that they'll leave for grad/med school in a couple years. For example, I left work early a few times when it was getting close to MCAT time, and I took a whole week off right before the test.

Are you just a lab tech or actually doing the academic work? Honestly, it's pretty normal if you're just hired to do the lab work. It's just like any other menial labor job, nobody really likes it but they do it for the paycheck. If it pays well and it's only for the short term then I don't think it's so bad of a gig. I love research but I still get bored to death at my job.

Uh, I don't know...follow your gut I guess. Normally I would say to find a job that makes you happy but there are some critical details:
1. it is hard to find a job right now, especially for a short time, so you should be happy with making money and definitely do no quit without a backup secured
2. taking a free class is an incredible opportunity that I would have loved to have an it is particularly useful for your GPA, as you said

If you do not need money or have some alternative lined up, quit without looking back. If you don't, then your chances of finding something better in the next year and a half until you go to medical school are not so good that I would turn away from such a lucky position.

You raise some great points. I would definitely have a backup secured before quitting. But if I wanted to continue having access to the free classes, I would have to find another job within the university. However, these are all research or admin positions. You really can't have everything. Still thinking...

Thanks! I'd say it's a time to try something new as long as whatever you can do does link into medical school. So while getting out of a job you loathe can make sense, I wouldn't do anything. But in my observation medical schools like it when people have work experience, and aren't as narrowly focused on lab experience as it sometimes seem (especially around here). I think I got as much attention for my volunteering and nonprofit work as for my clinical research experience depending on who I was talking to.

As kyamh said, you do have to base it in practicalities, but definitely explore options if you're really unhappy in the lab. Maybe something like an Americorps year would work better for you.

I've looked into scribing but there are no openings anywhere around me. I know I would really enjoy that.

That sucks. Lab research isn't for everyone, although I think people's impressions about research can change drastically based on what their specific role is in the lab and who their coworkers are. My advice would be to look for another job that you can somehow relate to medicine. It doesn't even have to be science, as SN12357 said. The adcom won't care as long as you can fit it in to your broader "story." Also, if there is a part of your app that is lacking, you could try and find a job that helps to boost a weakness? Can't hurt to look for something while you're still working, but I wouldn't quit before I had something else lined up.

Think about your MCAT though. Lab jobs are usually pretty flexible with hours, and real world jobs usually aren't. You'll find bosses more sympathetic to employees applying to med school and splitting some time more often in a lab than out in the real word. Usually, techs are hired with the expectation that they'll leave for grad/med school in a couple years. For example, I left work early a few times when it was getting close to MCAT time, and I took a whole week off right before the test.

The thing is my current job fits into my "story" perfectly, which is why I feel stuck.

My boss is understanding but is strict about taking time off. I get a day off a month, so if I want to take a week off in the future, it would have to come from my accumulated paid time off. He's less sympathetic about these things because he's a PhD who's all about the research and would prefer I do anything medicine-related on my own time.

Are you just a lab tech or actually doing the academic work? Honestly, it's pretty normal if you're just hired to do the lab work. It's just like any other menial labor job, nobody really likes it but they do it for the paycheck. If it pays well and it's only for the short term then I don't think it's so bad of a gig. I love research but I still get bored to death at my job.

I'm a tech who also does academic research.

I'm currently working as a research tech at a Top 5 med school. This was my backup plan after I got a less than stellar MCAT score this summer. I decided to get a job, pay off my student loans and restudy for the MCAT. However, I can't help but feel completely miserable going to work every day. I don't enjoy the work I do nor being around my colleagues. I loathe every aspect of research and am realizing everyday lab life isn't for me. A big part of me wants to leave but my more logical side is telling me to stick it out since I'm already here. I also get to take free classes every semester to improve my GPA, which makes it even harder (my GPA could use a boost, but since I'm applying this summer, only the one class I'm taking this spring will show on my transcript).

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What did/would you do? I've been thinking about applying to non-science related jobs, but I don't know how this decision will be perceived by the adcom.

I'm grateful for being here, given things could have gone drastically different for me. However, I don't want to continue feeling this unhappy. I'm already seeing my productivity decline (not noticeable to anyone but me).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

P.S. I had research experience in undergrad.

Your job will allow you to publish, get a good LOR, pad your resume, have a stable income, and take free classes to boost you GPA--overall, it seems like a pretty good set up

I wonder if you might be depressed. This is not medical advice, but in your first year after college you have to create a new life, all your friends live in different cities, and you're stressed about getting into med school. In the situation, life can be hard, and if you're not crazy about your job to begin with, things will be that much more difficult. If any of my points above are true in your case, maybe you should talk to someone. Again, this is not medical advice, just a hunch

Your job will allow you to publish, get a good LOR, pad your resume, have a stable income, and take free classes to boost you GPA--overall, it seems like a pretty good set up

I wonder if you might be depressed. This is not medical advice, but in your first year after college you have to create a new life, all your friends live in different cities, and you're stressed about getting into med school. In the situation, life can be hard, and if you're not crazy about your job to begin with, things will be that much more difficult. If any of my points above are true in your case, maybe you should talk to someone. Again, this is not medical advice, just a hunch

That was really perceptive of you. I never considered it. My boyfriend just started his rotations and has been telling me he won't be around as much to support me with work and the MCAT. My discontentment with work may be exacerbated by that.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is my current job fits into my "story" perfectly, which is why I feel stuck.

My boss is understanding but is strict about taking time off. I get a day off a month, so if I want to take a week off in the future, it would have to come from my accumulated paid time off. He's less sympathetic about these things because he's a PhD who's all about the research and would prefer I do anything medicine-related on my own time.

Wow, that is very little time off. I agree, sometimes PhDs can be hostile towards us medical types, which I have always thought is very narrow-minded. I work for an MD/PhD who runs a basic science lab but obviously understands what the process is like. Try and find a more clinical position where you could work with an MD. Might be hard to do, but I bet you would enjoy it more and the boss would probably be more sympathetic. Since you already work at a top school, you could possibly leverage that into a new position.

Wow, that is very little time off. I agree, sometimes PhDs can be hostile towards us medical types, which I have always thought is very narrow-minded. I work for an MD/PhD who runs a basic science lab but obviously understands what the process is like. Try and find a more clinical position where you could work with an MD. Might be hard to do, but I bet you would enjoy it more and the boss would probably be more sympathetic. Since you already work at a top school, you could possibly leverage that into a new position.

I've thought about switching to a more clinical position, but I made a promise when he interviewed me that I'd stick around for two years. I'd feel like a complete ass for making the switch now since they've already invested so much time into training me.

Good LORD, I literally was about to make a post like this.....

Two year commitment and everything. Thats insane...

I too am hoping for a more clinical position, I have done like 4 years of bench work and have had enough

Last edited:
Life as a lab tech sucks. I often feel like a glorified McDonalds dishwasher. Nothing to look forward to during the day and a paycheck that barely covers rent and food when you go home. I'm happy my two years are up - I feel for you OP....

For all readers:

There are other types of research than just bench. So, if you hate lab life -- no worries.

As a pre-med I networked for opportunities more clinical/public health-focused. Enjoyed it so much that I kept going through the 2 years of premed and now still continue collaborating [long distance] from my new institution.

Currently working on our 5th publication together.

Moral: Find the opportunity/PI that you actually enjoy -- one that you don't hate being involved with every day. Life is short.

This will be bad when you're applying. My boss is also a PhD, and he is very unforgiving about leaving for interviews. I'm so certain that for the entire two months I was out doing interviews, my PI was always in a bad mood and finally my PI told me that he wasn't allowing me to go on interviews anymore.

If you really don't like your lab, you could always try to find another lab to move to. Each lab has its own lab culture, so the lab one floor down could be a lot better for you than your current one.

Reactions: 1 users
I've thought about switching to a more clinical position, but I made a promise when he interviewed me that I'd stick around for two years. I'd feel like a complete ass for making the switch now since they've already invested so much time into training me.

While it's honorable to keep your commitments, sometimes you have to do what's best for you. Talk to your boss. Maybe he can hire someone else and you can agree to train that new tech before you leave.

Yeah. 2 years is pretty standard - I've know techs to get out of it amicably, but its really a case by case basis and some PIs might take it more personally. Plus, its hard to get a new job when your current boss is pissed at you for leaving. Maybe you could talk to your boss like @histidine said, if you honestly and graciously explain how you really feel about the position and what you are looking for they might understand.

Fortunately @nemo123 is a baller and doesn't need to go on any more interviews!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. 2 years is pretty standard - I've know techs to get out of it amicably, but its really a case by case basis and some PIs might take it more personally. Plus, its hard to get a new job when your current boss is pissed at you for leaving. Maybe you could talk to your boss like @histidine said, if you honestly and graciously explain how you really feel about the position and what you are looking for they might understand.

Fortunately @nemo123 is a baller and doesn't need to go on any more interviews!

Lol there are definitely way more baller applicants than me! I don't think I classify as baller at all!

Life as a lab tech sucks. I often feel like a glorified McDonalds dishwasher. Nothing to look forward to during the day and a paycheck that barely covers rent and food when you go home. I'm happy my two years are up - I feel for you OP....

Hey, I appreciate the support :)

Hey, I appreciate the support :)

Figured you could find some solace knowing that there are others who feel miserable with their 9-5 jobs. I feel like most people a incredibly depressed with their work situations...I think part of it has to do with the fact that we grow up taught individual thought, problem solving skills, and critical thinking, but we are thrown out into the real workforce that often demands compliance without questioning and automation without thinking.