quit research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DISCOSTEW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I had a question about my research experience. I have enjoyed the science side of it. It based off of molecular evolution and genetics. Most of the stuff has been PCR and sequencing. All non-clinical. I've done it for 2 years. The first year was mainly helping the graduate students and the second year has been on my own project. I'm halfway done with it, but haven't really got anything done recently. I work 40+ hours a week and live an 2 hours away from my lab. So I at most get to go once a week. And usually it's a waste of time because I'm trying to design primers and what not (trial and error). I really don't want to do it anymore, how badly will this look?

I've basically accomplished very little, and I am sure adcoms will ask me about it. I love the science, but don't like the benchwork.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all I had a question about my research experience. I have enjoyed the science side of it. It based off of molecular evolution and genetics. Most of the stuff has been PCR and sequencing. All non-clinical. I've done it for 2 years. The first year was mainly helping the graduate students and the second year has been on my own project. I'm halfway done with it, but haven't really got anything done recently. I work 40+ hours a week and live an 2 hours away from my lab. So I at most get to go once a week. And usually it's a waste of time because I'm trying to design primers and what not (trial and error). I really don't want to do it anymore, how badly will this look?

I've basically accomplished very little, and I am sure adcoms will ask me about it. I love the science, but don't like the benchwork.

Thanks!

You've done your time. Just know enough about it to explain to someone who probably knows little to nothing about your research and background information.

should I just be straight up about why I stopped? I just don't want it to come off as flakey.

Members don't see this ad :)
should I just be straight up about why I stopped? I just don't want it to come off as flakey.

It looks like you have reasonable reasons.

Depends on if you want to go into a PHD/MD program or just MD though. If you want a PHD/MD then I would probably stick with the research.

I did bench research for a semester, but stopped because it just wasn't my thing. I wasn't going to do something I disliked just to put it down on a resume. If you aren't enjoying it and aren't learning from it, there's no reason to continue.

It's not that big of a deal. When you enter the experience in AMCAS you talk about what the experience was and your responsibilities etc. I doubt anyone is going to ask you why you left. I worked in a lab for about the same amount of time and had to leave because I was offered a job somewhere else ( it was already something my PI knew could happen). No one ever asked about it during an interview. I've worked many jobs before applying to med school so if interviewers asked me why I left each position...:rolleyes:. Say it was a great experience and you learned a lot but the commute eventually made it impractical...if that's the case.

Are you getting an LOR from your PI? Make sure you're not just dropping this position without sufficient notice to them because you may be burning a 2 year bridge there. Otherwise, I say you're fine.

You can always just tell them you'd like to focus time working/academics/etc. The nice thing about research PI's is that they see people come and go on a regular basis, so this will not shock him/her.

Thanks for the info guys. I've known the PI since for 3-4 years and the PI has written me a letter already. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way because I didn't get much from it.

Thanks for the info guys. I've known the PI since for 3-4 years and the PI has written me a letter already. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way because I didn't get much from it.

Don't worry about it then. Lots of pre-meds I've met worked in labs for over a year without getting published (or even completing the project) and apply successfully. It does suck. It sucks even worse when you end up helping someone else get published and you don't end up on the paper.

Find the positive and talk about what you did and learned. That's all that matters.