Quit with all that "Stigma" crap!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvmeow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I am not alone, but there have been countless threads that have been started over "DO's have a stigma that somehow MD's don't have". True Everyone has a right to their opinion, but to those who are SICK of that crap, lets just try to ignore it. Most of us on this forum have a genuine interest in osteopathic medicine--- not just as a fall back. And even if you are on the fence on osteopathic medicine, its about being a good doctor in the end.

NO pre MD should make people feel that just cause they want to be a DO somehow they are less worthy or skilled. I would be competitive at either allopathic or osteopathic schools, but I'd rather be a DO--- that doesn't make me say " ALL MD's ARE NOT SMART BECAUSE OF THE LETTER's BEHIND THEIR NAMES".

DO's only have a stigma if they happen to be a bad doctor, otherwise there is NO stigma because most people don't even know what a DO is??? A DOCTOR IS A DOCTOR!!!!!!!

holla if you hear me! and QUIT with these pointless topics! I'm crazy for even posting this one!+pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to "quit w/the stigma crap," it would help if youd stop making posts or new threads about it.

Originally posted by luvmeow
I know I am not alone, but there have been countless threads

I'm crazy for even posting this one!+pissed+

READ!

No further explanation.:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, THERE IS A STIGMA.

DEAL WITH IT.

Originally posted by drusso
I've come to believe that it is part of the process of understanding one's "osteopathicness."

Everyone should just stop posting about all this bull$h!t. Otherwise this thread will be in a downward spiral page the end of the first page.

Originally posted by Slickness
On a side note, I find it interesting that at all my DO interviews they ask why DO over MD and why osteopathy. At one interview I was asked the why DO over MD question twice, but just reworded in a different way. It's almost as if they know I am qualified to go to an MD school so they question why I want to apply to DO schools which almost perpetuates the stereotype. But maybe I'm just looking too far into it...

No, they want to hear you say that you want to be an osteopath and want to go to DO school, not that you need a fall back option.

Originally posted by daveswafford
Everyone should just stop posting about all this bull$h!t. Otherwise this thread will be in a downward spiral page the end of the first page.

bump

hahaha

Q, DO

Originally posted by Goofyone
Yes, THERE IS A STIGMA.

DEAL WITH IT.

this is exactly the reason. i am ending this thread myself! i don't want to battle which one is better! pre- MDs stop talkin SH&! about osteopathic medicine.... if you don't want to be a DO, then don't be one! Its not a fall back, its a career choice! my point-- only more concise.

HAND! minus thumb-index- ring- pinky :D

Originally posted by luvmeow
this is exactly the reason. i am ending this thread myself! i don't want to battle which one is better! pre- MDs stop talkin SH&! about osteopathic medicine.... if you don't want to be a DO, then don't be one! Its not a fall back, its a career choice! my point-- only more concise.

HAND! minus thumb-index- ring- pinky :D

The goofyone is a DO student.

When we are extremely concious about whether DO degree is inferior than MD or not and perceive our notion that DO stigma still exist out there, it raises a question as to why we truly want to become a doctor. Is it mostly a prestige after name? OR Is it our passionate desire to learn/practice medicine and help patients? Which is more important? If there's stigma, then it is our duty to educate people about osteopathic medicine.