Quit Your Complaining...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology 101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Marketing our profession starts here and now with these posts. I have seen podiatry students come on here and talk about everything from how unorganized their schools are to how dissatisfied they are with the interviewing process of some schools. Irregardless of this being a podiatry forum,we must keep in mind that other people do read these posts.

The more we complain about our field,the more we sabatoge our own future.This turns other people off from the profession and as a result stunts the growth of podiatry. It's one thing to take these flaws up with someone who can actually do something about it, but it's another to post these shortcomings for the entire SDN to read. Podiatry really needs to be nurtured properly. Apart of this means marketing ourselves favorably. Bottomline, podiatry can and will be an exceptional field and get the respect it deserves if the right people SAY and DO the right things at the APPROPRIATE times!

Members don't see this ad.

Instead of attempting to put the cart before the horse of marketing ourselves to the public, let's demonstrate to ourselves that we are capable of high standards. Just because some of the posts on this forum embarrass, doesn't make them irrelevant.

As far as sabotaging our future, in my opinion, there have been other more relevant events that have cast suspicion on this profession far more than any benign post on this forum.

And you are right, it will take a long time to overcome those perceptions.

http://www.optometry.org/articles/cheating.htm[/url]

I think that you are mistaken, to find fault in one's self is not a sign of weakness but of strength. If you think you are perfect and act that way, how can you improve? Any change would signal not only that you are hypocrite and a liar. I see our exchanges as the future leaders of podiatry discussing how to make things better. If anyone thinks that allopathic or osteopathic medicine has no faults that are in for a rude awakening. I can and will continue to discuss our shortcomings in an attempt to find solutions to the problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychology 101 said:
Marketing our profession starts here and now with these posts. I have seen podiatry students come on here and talk about everything from how unorganized their schools are to how dissatisfied they are with the interviewing process of some schools. Irregardless of this being a podiatry forum,we must keep in mind that other people do read these posts.

The more we complain about our field,the more we sabatoge our own future.This turns other people off from the profession and as a result stunts the growth of podiatry. It's one thing to take these flaws up with someone who can actually do something about it, but it's another to post these shortcomings for the entire SDN to read. Podiatry really needs to be nurtured properly. Apart of this means marketing ourselves favorably. Bottomline, podiatry can and will be an exceptional field and get the respect it deserves if the right people SAY and DO the right things at the APPROPRIATE times!

Well, where do I begin? HMMM!

(1) This is a forum. Do we need to have definitions 101 class. A forum is for people to discuss things: good or bad.

(2) If you think that students on other forums don't argue or complain, well, you need to read more on the SDN.

(3) I love it! Podiatry students arguing about topics. Its the American way!

Dr_Feelgood said:
I think that you are mistaken, to find fault in one's self is not a sign of weakness but of strength. If you think you are perfect and act that way, how can you improve? Any change would signal not only that you are hypocrite and a liar. I see our exchanges as the future leaders of podiatry discussing how to make things better. If anyone thinks that allopathic or osteopathic medicine has no faults that are in for a rude awakening. I can and will continue to discuss our shortcomings in an attempt to find solutions to the problems.

Well said Feelgood :thumbup:

Hope boards went well for you and all our fellow 08'ers - man i can't believe i'm done with Step I. I gotta scrub in 2mrrw at 8:00 am so I don't think I'll be doing any celebrations tonight but I just wanted to say congrats to all my fellow 08'ers - We're itching a little closer to that finish line :D

Actually, the podiatry forum seems to have less disagreement and more constructive dialog than many of the other forums on this network which speaks highly of our profession.

Many posters have disagreed with many of my posts, as I have disagreed with theirs, but I've never felt out of place and I hope I never made anyone feel like less of a pod student/resident/professional.

Like many of the the other posters have already said, many of us want an open dialog on issues that we see as important for our profession and it's continued advancement.

Psychology 101 said:

I agree with the OP, I feel that someone who gets OVER DEFENSIVE about their career choice or program just presents how much low self-esteem they have and that in their own mind they are not secure of their field. That is why you do not find a lot of complainers from those who did a certain profession for THE RIGHT REASONS AND WITH PASSION :thumbup:

Psychology 101 said:

It is best to speak out about our problems and have others help us solve those problems with support or constructive feedback, than to hold it in and become passive agressive. That is the one of the main recommendations in psychology. You just violated your own rule Mr. Psych 101 :eek:

Cheetos said:
It is best to speak out about our problems and have others help us solve those problems with support or constructive feedback, than to hold it in and become passive agressive. That is the one of the main recommendations in psychology. You just violated your own rule Mr. Psych 101 :eek:

First off, I am a woman. Secondly, I am a firm believer of ''speaking out about our problems'', but to those who can actually make the change needed for progress,otherwise you sound like a nagging housewife. Podiatry has so many layers. It's a medical profession, a business, and a close knit family. Openly discussing your problems with a total network of strangers is not being smart or honorable to your profession. It could cost you in the long haul.I am aware that the other medical forums openly discuss all of their faults. So what, let them self-destruct! Podiatry can't afford it. Psychology 101 Mr./Ms. cheetos, the above rules do not apply without confidentiality first!

Psychology 101 said:
First off, I am a woman. Secondly, I am a firm believer of ''speaking out about our problems'', but to those who can actually make the change needed for progress,otherwise you sound like a nagging housewife. Podiatry has so many layers. It's a medical profession, a business, and a close knit family. Openly discussing your problems with a total network of strangers is not being smart or honorable to your profession. It could cost you in the long haul.I am aware that the other medical forums openly discuss all of their faults. So what, let them self-descruct! Podiatry can't afford it. Psychology 101 Mr./Ms. cheetos, the above rules do not apply without confidentiality first!

Wait just a minute sir! How can you tell cheetos that he sounds like a nagging house wife when this is in fact an internet forum, unless you are at a common location with the cheetos I find that nearly impossible as cheetos are actually, just a snack! Nothing more than puffed corn with flavoring and preservatives. If they, the cheetos, are still talking to you in the morning, may I suggest puffed rice as more amiable company instead? Puffy will be along shortly, I'm sure.... :love:

Psychology 101 said:
First off, I am a woman. Secondly, I am a firm believer of ''speaking out about our problems'', but to those who can actually make the change needed for progress,otherwise you sound like a nagging housewife. Podiatry has so many layers. It's a medical profession, a business, and a close knit family. Openly discussing your problems with a total network of strangers is not being smart or honorable to your profession. It could cost you in the long haul.I am aware that the other medical forums openly discuss all of their faults. So what, let them self-destruct! Podiatry can't afford it. Psychology 101 Mr./Ms. cheetos, the above rules do not apply without confidentiality first!
Figures. ALL psych. majors are women! Mostly airheads though. :laugh:

Just joking, of course.

I used to be a woman too -- til I got tired of it and the jokes vs. women. :p

PS - Anyone ever notice what the NEXT forum AFTER Podiatry Students is on sdn? It's... PSYCHOLOGY!!! :laugh:
Now THAT I think is quite ironic AND funny, eh?

capo said:
Figures. ALL psych. majors are women! Mostly airheads though. :laugh:

Just joking, of course.

I used to be a woman too -- til I got tired of it and the jokes vs. women. :p

PS - Anyone ever notice what the NEXT forum AFTER Podiatry Students is on sdn? It's... PSYCHOLOGY!!! :laugh:
Now THAT I think is quite ironic AND funny, eh?

Dont go making an ass out of the both of us just because you want to assume I MUST be a psych major. Actually, I have a Chemistry degree. Pardon me for not bursting into laughter at your above statements.Although I am sure it was quite funny to you.Thats all that matters I suppose.

Psychology 101 said:
Dont go making an ass out of the both of us just because you want to assume I MUST be a psych major. Actually, I have a Chemistry degree. Pardon me for not bursting into laughter at your above statements.Although I am sure it was quite funny to you.Thats all that matters I suppose.
Whoa, I was only joking. But yes, I did laugh as I've dated a few psych. majors and I'm a tad wary of them. :D

No offense meant. :)

My experience with Psych majors is that they all psychoanalyze everything. Oh yeah, most female psych majors are stalkers too, stay away from them!

Being a female chemistry major isn't a lot better. Usually, a conversation with a female chem major goes something like this.

Guy: So what are you majoring in?

Girl: I'm majoring in Chemistry and have a 3.9 GPA. By the way, did I tell you that I want to go to med school!

Guy: No, but then again I didn't ask.

Girl: I want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon. I know I'll make a good surgeon because I've never made a B and I can draw from memory the steriochemistry of every amino acid at pH 1-14.

Guy: Wow, so...

Girl: Oh yeah, and did I tell you that I am majoring in Chemistry because its way harder than Biology. Those Biology majors are just trying to take the easy route. I mean I took P-Chem, Quant., and BioChem all in the same semester and made all A's.

Guy: Gotta go!

Girl: Oh wait, did I tell you that I want to be a Cardiothoracic Surgeon.

Conclusion: Not all, but most are way too stressed and way too eager to please!

:laugh:

P.S. I know I'll catch hell for this one!

mrfeet said:
My experience with Psych majors is that they all psychoanalyze everything. Oh yeah, most female psych majors are stalkers too, stay away from them!

Being a female chemistry major isn't a lot better. Usually, a conversation with a female chem major goes something like this.

Guy: So what are you majoring in?

Girl: I'm majoring in Chemistry and have a 3.9 GPA. By the way, did I tell you that I want to go to med school!

Guy: No, but then again I didn't ask.

Girl: I want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon. I know I'll make a good surgeon because I've never made a B and I can draw from memory the steriochemistry of every amino acid at pH 1-14.

Guy: Wow, so...

Girl: Oh yeah, and did I tell you that I am majoring in Chemistry because its way harder than Biology. Those Biology majors are just trying to take the easy route. I mean I took P-Chem, Quant., and BioChem all in the same semester and made all A's.

Guy: Gotta go!

Girl: Oh wait, did I tell you that I want to be a Cardiothoracic Surgeon.

Conclusion: Not all, but most are way too stressed and way too eager to please!

:laugh:

P.S. I know I'll catch hell for this one!

Totally agree with you.....I have seen many girls like this in my time being a student. I absolutely cannot stand their perfectly fake attitude they present.

capo said:
Whoa, I was only joking. But yes, I did laugh as I've dated a few psych. majors and I'm a tad wary of them. :D

No offense meant. :)

Yeah,

My girlfriend was a Psyc major, Behavioralist. "SKINNER" do I need to say more?
For a while she almost had me trained like a salivating dog, by controlling my attitudes, actions, and thoughts with positive and negative re-enforcers. :laugh:....... +pity+ ........... :eek:

+pissed+ ......... :spam: .......... :love:

However, now a days I have a mind of my own. :D

whiskers said:
Wait just a minute sir! How can you tell cheetos that he sounds like a nagging house wife when this is in fact an internet forum, unless you are at a common location with the cheetos I find that nearly impossible as cheetos are actually, just a snack! Nothing more than puffed corn with flavoring and preservatives. If they, the cheetos, are still talking to you in the morning, may I suggest puffed rice as more amiable company instead? Puffy will be along shortly, I'm sure.... :love:

I can only be eaten, not nagged at. So we should just eat our problems away instead, seems to work well for women when estrogen levels are low :laugh: