Quiting Your Job Before Starting School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsacamenoh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that worked before optometry school, how much time did you leave between your last day at work and the start of classes? At first I was thinking one month would be fine, but now I'm thinking I should quit earlier.

I wish I could leave now. I feel a bit guilty every time a big project comes up and I never volunteer for it like I would in the past. What makes it worse is that I just got promoted. It's going to look like I put it on cruise control just because of the promotion, but I just don't want to commit to something that I can't complete. Ahh, who am I kidding. I am on cruise control and I am comfortably resting on my laurels - haha. I know, it's not very professional, but should I really take on the stress of big projects when I know that impressing these people doesn't have a huge impact on my future career? My thinking is that I am saving my energy for the next 4 years; 4 years that will have an impact on my future patients. Tiny ethical/moral dilemma.

Members don't see this ad.

Think of it this way - the stress you're trying to shy away from would only make you stronger for the stress that will come during school and beyond.

bobsacamenoh said:
For those that worked before optometry school, how much time did you leave between your last day at work and the start of classes? At first I was thinking one month would be fine, but now I'm thinking I should quit earlier.
One very practical reason for working up until one month before you start school is to save up a little extra money. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
bobsacamenoh said:

I wish I could leave now. I feel a bit guilty every time a big project comes up and I never volunteer for it like I would in the past. What makes it worse is that I just got promoted. It's going to look like I put it on cruise control just because of the promotion, but I just don't want to commit to something that I can't complete. Ahh, who am I kidding. I am on cruise control and I am comfortably resting on my laurels - haha. I know, it's not very professional, but should I really take on the stress of big projects when I know that impressing these people doesn't have a huge impact on my future career? My thinking is that I am saving my energy for the next 4 years; 4 years that will have an impact on my future patients. Tiny ethical/moral dilemma.

I'm in the same boat myself...The first day we're required to be in class is 8/17. From a purely "maximize the available funds" standpoint, I should work until 8/11. However, as the date approaches, I suspect that the last day I work will be more like 7/28 or 8/4.

I'm also in the same boat when it comes to (I'll call it) "level of engagement" in the current job. I work for a large telecommunications company based in the Kansas City area (think "Yes, you can."). I've told my co-workers and my supervisor my plans. I just had my yearly review, and it blows my mind that I was able to convince them that my performance was "highly effective" (with the top rating being "most effective"). I got a nice 5% bump in pay. That along with our yearly bonus being paid at 169.04% of our opportunity caused me to question whether I should leave all that behind (for like about 2 seconds, that is :) )...

I'd be interrested in when others are going to relocate, and how much time they're allowing to "settle-in" before classes start.

rkl_OD2be said:
I'm in the same boat myself...The first day we're required to be in class is 8/17. From a purely "maximize the available funds" standpoint, I should work until 8/11. However, as the date approaches, I suspect that the last day I work will be more like 7/28 or 8/4.

I'm also in the same boat when it comes to (I'll call it) "level of engagement" in the current job. I work for a large telecommunications company based in the Kansas City area (think "Yes, you can."). I've told my co-workers and my supervisor my plans. I just had my yearly review, and it blows my mind that I was able to convince them that my performance was "highly effective" (with the top rating being "most effective"). I got a nice 5% bump in pay. That along with our yearly bonus being paid at 169.04% of our opportunity caused me to question whether I should leave all that behind (for like about 2 seconds, that is :) )...

I'd be interrested in when others are going to relocate, and how much time they're allowing to "settle-in" before classes start.

I'm not even relocating and I'm taking 2 weeks off before I start, probably

I'm relocating, but only 1.5 hrs away. School starts 8/22, so I figure leaving work 7/31 should be OK. Too early?

No, I don't think end of July is too early to quit, considering I'm quitting in May!!! Luckily, my husband and I can make it without my income, so I am going to spend several weeks visiting family in Utah and Arizona, as well as some much needed R&R after 6 years of undergrad (summers too) and working. ( :oops: :oops: :oops: No... I'm not a total ****** for taking 6 years to graduate... I changed my major three times... I'm a little self conscious about that!) I plan on moving to Portland (Forest Grove, actually) sometime around the end of July, so that I can get settled in.

I handed in my 2 weeks notice today! I was nervous at first, but it felt great afterwards. Now optometry school doesn't seem so far away.

bobsacamenoh said:
I handed in my 2 weeks notice today! I was nervous at first, but it felt great afterwards. Now optometry school doesn't seem so far away.
Congratulations! :clap:

r_salis said:
One very practical reason for working up until one month before you start school is to save up a little extra money. :)
Yeah, I make way too much money to quit so I can do nothing for a few months. Lol. Nonetheless, I am jealous!! :)

swiftiii said:
Nonetheless, I am jealous!! :)

That's funny! Some of my co-workers are actually jelous that I'm leaving, but most are supportive. I never knew quitting a job could be so much fun. I feel like a minor celebrity - LOL!

good for you :) if you could afford it, that's great to take time off - enjoy your summer!!

i'm in a little bit of the same situation. i want to work pretty close to beginning school but i dont know how much notice i should give. i just started a new job in november so i havent even been with the company for a year and no one knew of my plan to start school in the fall. it's making me feel a little guilty but i'm sure it will be fine...

idoc2b said:
i'm in a little bit of the same situation. i want to work pretty close to beginning school but i dont know how much notice i should give. i just started a new job in november so i havent even been with the company for a year and no one knew of my plan to start school in the fall. it's making me feel a little guilty but i'm sure it will be fine...

Gonna do the 2 week notice?

Wow! I wish I could have a summer.... I'm quitting two weeks before school starts, but it won't be a surprise for the ophthalmologists I work for. They hired me knowing that I would be leaving!!

idoc2b said:
If it makes you feel guilty, but you know it will be ok, why don't you tell them now? Personally, I think this is an integrity issue, though I am sure that I am in the minority here (even my mother always disagreed with me on this sort of situation...yes, I have been here before.) BTW That is for me only; I don't look down on anyone that chooses otherwise. Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable saying anything just yet, my suggestion would be that if you respect your employer and feel they need some time to secure someone to take over your position, to give them a one month notice. Otherwise, unless your company handbook states something different, just give them the requisite two weeks notice.

Good luck!
PS I am done working 3 weeks prior to the start of school to give myself time to move and enough of a "brain rest" :laugh:

i would like to give more - probably 3 weeks.
there are quite a few people in my dept and summer months tend to be slower so i dont think i'm going to be hurting the dept by doing a two or three week notice.
stompy said:
Gonna do the 2 week notice?

I definitley see your point. I'm trying to be cautious and not say anything until I am certain. Anything can happen between now and august.

Are you getting ready for your move?

swiftiii said:
If it makes you feel guilty, but you know it will be ok, why don't you tell them now? Personally, I think this is an integrity issue, though I am sure that I am in the minority here (even my mother always disagreed with me on this sort of situation...yes, I have been here before.) BTW That is for me only; I don't look down on anyone that chooses otherwise. Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable saying anything just yet, my suggestion would be that if you respect your employer and feel they need some time to secure someone to take over your position, to give them a one month notice. Otherwise, unless your company handbook states something different, just give them the requisite two weeks notice.

Good luck!
PS I am done working 3 weeks prior to the start of school to give myself time to move and enough of a "brain rest" :laugh:

I feel guilty on a personal level - about working with people everyday and their not aware of my possible plans to leave, but regarding leaving the job itself, a company can easily lose one employee. it happens all the time. i am thinking about saying something soon, i really dont know what kind of reaction to expect.

swiftiii said:

Good luck!

idoc2b said:
I definitley see your point. I'm trying to be cautious and not say anything until I am certain. Anything can happen between now and august.

Are you getting ready for your move?
I'm lucky in that most of my moving gets taken care of for me. My lease runs out the end of June, so I don't have to worry about packing up my life for another six weeks. So, right now, my sole focus is on finding an apartment...and a roommate! Yuck! (the finding, not the having) :(

BTW What do you mean, anything can happen? Are you not, for sure, going to start school this fall?

idoc2b said:
I feel guilty on a personal level - about working with people everyday and their not aware of my possible plans to leave, but regarding leaving the job itself, a company can easily lose one employee. it happens all the time. i am thinking about saying something soon, i really dont know what kind of reaction to expect.
Way to rationalize that guilt ;) I'll refer to what I said earlier. You know your job and your company, and what they need. I am sure you'll make the right decision.

I'd say to take off as much time as you feel necessary (or can afford) before starting Opt school. If you work for good people then they'll be happy that you're pursuing your aspirations. If your employer isn't decent enough to encourage you to follow your dream then they're not worth worrying about anyway.

I'm not even applying until this fall, but my employer already knows of my plans to attend OD school and my district manager (that's my bosses boss) even plans to write me a stellar recommendation letter to help me get in.

Anyways, 5 years from now when you're giving an eye exam you're not even gonna care what your past employer thought of your resignation. Good Luck