Quitting a job after just starting not long ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharmaco1234

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the world of pharmacy how bad is it to quit a job as a pharmacist not long after you have started? Its not a major chain just an independent. Its not the greatest place and wouldn't say its my dream job but its okay. I was afraid I would have no job so i took it. However I might have a better offer and I don't know if I should accept if it is given to me and then quit the one I am in now because I applied to many other places and they didn't get back to me until after I took the job. I'm in major dilemma now what I should do. I know they not be sure offers but I'm asking what if. It is because the job market is so tight, I took the offer and started because I think I might not be able to get a job offer if I pass on it. And is it unethical to go to more interviews? It is places I applied to before I accepted the offer but didn't get back to me until now. I don't want to burn any bridges as I know pharmacy is a small world but I really want to have the opportunity and options. Please help, it would be very much appreciated thank you.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just really want a better offer if it does actually come up since I get no package or benefits or insurance anything like that. But u know, i just don't want to seem unprofessional and my current employer bad mouth me to other pharmacists that may in the further be potential employers or job options.
 
Not every job is what it seems. I remember being offered a job with a closed door pharmacy in Oklahoma that primarily serves nursing homes. It sounded like a great job and something I would jump at but I got offered the clinical pharmacist position I have now (no residency because those are scams) and haven't looked back. Several of my classmates took jobs with them only to discover 16 hour work days and on-call problems from *****ic nurses.
 
At-will employment. Your employer can let you go at a moment's notice, and you can leave at a moment's notice. Professionally, you should give a minimum of 2 weeks notice (3 - 4 weeks if possible.) Yes, there is the risk your current employer may bad mouth you, but if you get a better job offer, you need to do what is best for you. And you don't want to do that too often, or it will look bad on your resume. Twice, I've left jobs after working them 6 - 9 months....the one job I knew was a mistake from my first day there, but I stuck it out until I got a better job lined up.
 
Especially if the independent isn't offering you insurance and benefits you gotta go for the better opportunity. My question is if you moved far away for a job and decide to leave, how do you get out of your 1 year apartment lease?
 
I would tread carefully unless you think your pending job offer is in an opportunity that might not happen in a long time (or ever again). But you have to weigh everything. Running from one retail chain to another retail chain for a couple bucks is rarely worth it.
 
Its not a big retail chain, its a small independent pharmacy. The other offer i get a whole package and benefits and stuff which a lot places now unless you work for big companies don't offer nowadays...you don't get that and it makes a big difference. But im scared to burn any bridges so Im in a great dilemma. I would feel so terrible having to give up that job offer but then burning the bridge my current employer is going to hate me tremdously.
 
They will get over it once they find your replacement, which shouldn't be too hard in the current market. The owner knows how it works and unless you made some promises to stay certain length of time, don't worry about the hate part. Just make sure you have an actual offer from someone else. You might be sacrificing quality of life when you take on new job though.
 
You should be loyal to the company you work with but I think in this case it is better to accept the offer. Give them an advanced notice so that they can start looking for a new pharmacist. The worse thing you can do is to leave immediately.
 
Pharmacy being a small world or not, nobody can hate on you for trying to better yourself. I stayed at my first job for less than a month, and switched jobs 3 more times in four years before settling on the perfect spot for me where ive remained.

Nobody looks out for you but yourself kid, never forget that. The company you leave WILL find a way to go on without you, however, opportunity waits for nobody.
 
I agree with what the majority of people are saying.

Ultimately, you have to look our for yourself. Figure out if the reason you're quitting is for personal reasons (workflow, work culture, bad team, inadequate training, employer, etc.) and/or financial reasons (insurance, benefits, pay especially for loans and supporting a family, etc.) and then go from there.

For me, I started at a chain as a grad intern right after I graduated. From the first day I started, I knew that this company wasn't the company I could see myself in for the long-term despite the fact that I had accepted the offer. I didn't have a job lined up yet but I put in my two weeks. I just had to do it for me and hope that I knew what I was doing. A few days after, I got a call from a recruiter from a grocery retail pharmacy saying they wanted to interview me for a position and it was the company that I've been wanting to work for initially. Went through the interview process, got a position offered, and now I'm happier. During that whole process, I felt that it was a very humbling experience especially in a market that is heavily saturated (Florida) so I'm very grateful for all the connections I made.