Quitting my job mid year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santiago1

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice about my situation! I was accepted for a “prestigious” fellowship abroad a month and a half ago. I accepted and was supposed to leave in July. However, due to COVID, it has been delayed and the new start date is now in January. This is where my predicament comes in... I am wondering if it will reflect poorly on me to leave my job mid year to do this fellowship?

I currently work in a TFA school, where I have worked for the past 3 years (I extended my contract) and have been recognized as a “Distinguished” teacher. Obviously, I would never want to leave the kids mid year, especially since the school I work at is “high needs” and it can be difficult to find staff to work there. However, I explained the situation to my admin and they said that they really want me to stay for the half year before I leave, even though that means I would technically “break my contract”.

Their support makes me feel better about staying for only half the year (especially since they will have ~7 months to find a replacement and I agreed to leave my lesson plans/ resources for the rest of the year); however I am still worried that med schools will view me breaking my contract negatively. I am only applying to TMDSAS so I have to explain what my plans are for next year...I love my job and my students and I know leaving mid year is definitely not ideal, but on the other hand, I can’t afford to just “exist” for 7 months with no job + no health insurance :( In the back of my mind, I’m also worried the fellowship might be delayed further/cancelled like it was last year. What are your thoughts? Do you think med schools would care? I am applying this cycle and planning to submit my TMDSAS app next week, just need to fill out the "future plans" section

Members don't see this ad.

In general, there is no such thing as job loyalty, and anyone/everyone is replaceable.
No company has any loyalty to employees, and therefore no employee should be loyal to companies.
This is the employment at will doctrine.

Do what is best for yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I have no input on TMDSAS or the fellowship (what fellowship happens before graduate school?) as I have no experience in that, but I just submitted terminal leave for my teaching position today, and I've had both full-year contracts and half-year contracts teaching. Ask your principal if you can do a "temporary" position contract - this should be especially understandable given you put in your 2 years. I assume you've already been compensated (loan repayment?) for fulfilling the 2 years?

Also agree with Dr.Meowz - I promise you they'll scrape your name off the placard the minute you leave the door, no offense. The lady at HR today was actually indignant that I still had access to my employee e-mail ONE DAY after leaving my position. Teaching has a huge turnover rate, especially for TFA positions - they're used to it. Unless you plan on failing at your grad school plans, you won't need to work there again, there's no reason to bend over backwards. Just bring donuts on the last day, write your thank-you notes, and leave on good terms so future references are ship-shape. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll echo the others. Someone who worked here since the 1970s retired last year and they cut off his card access and email at 5pm sharp his designated last day. While you may have interpersonal loyalty with the people you see day to day, higher ups don't seem to know (or care).

You have already 'Ok'd' this with your employer so I don't really see any issue here other than your self-consciousness.

I have no input on TMDSAS or the fellowship (what fellowship happens before graduate school?) as I have no experience in that, but I just submitted terminal leave for my teaching position today, and I've had both full-year contracts and half-year contracts teaching. Ask your principal if you can do a "temporary" position contract - this should be especially understandable given you put in your 2 years. I assume you've already been compensated (loan repayment?) for fulfilling the 2 years?

Also agree with Dr.Meowz - I promise you they'll scrape your name off the placard the minute you leave the door, no offense. The lady at HR today was actually indignant that I still had access to my employee e-mail ONE DAY after leaving my position. Teaching has a huge turnover rate, especially for TFA positions - they're used to it. Unless you plan on failing at your grad school plans, you won't need to work there again, there's no reason to bend over backwards. Just bring donuts on the last day, write your thank-you notes, and leave on good terms so future references are ship-shape. Good luck!
I guess I should have said scholarship or program (like Watson, Rhodes, Fulbright, Princeton in Latin America, etc.) unfortunately my district only gives one year contracts. If I were to do a short term one, they would only let me be a "long term sub" and long term subs have no benefits and make less than 1/3 of what contracted teachers do. And yes, you're 100% right; I know they will clear the room as soon as I leave lol. I just feel bad leaving the kids midyear and didn't know if med schools would care if I left since I wrote in my personal statement a lot about my teaching experience and how much it has impacted me/ shaped my perspective.

But thank you so much for your response! This makes me feel a lot better haha I was overthinking it!!

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who was once a kid student (weren't we all?) and vividly recall having a mid-year teacher swap, I can tell you that the kids will find this swap a huge excitement to their boring daily lives. Because between teachers midyear, amid the chaos, we loved the disorganization because that just means we'll have subs that'll let us do whatever we wanted.