Considering Career Changer Programs in mid-20s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nk1097

Reaction score
I'm in my mid 20s, started my career in tech and am thinking about doing a career changer program and going to medical school. I am currently taking a year away from the tech world to do Americorps (was seriously considering doing the Peace Corps / TFA after college before I started my career) and am serving a year in a safety-net clinic. The initial plan was to return to a similar job after this year, but my time here has gotten me interested in medical school. I've been shadowing physicians in their offices and in the OR, and volunteering in the outpatient surgery wing to get some more exposure to other sides of medicine. I'm fairly certain I want to pursue this and am planning to apply to this fall. Since I'm a little older I'm interested in linking and going straight after the program. I'm looking at Bryn Mawr/Goucher/Scripps/UVA and was wondering what the likelihood is for someone with my experiences and ~3.7 undergrad GPA to successfully link at these programs. I know it varies between linkage schools, but if someone who has been through these programs could give me a rough idea, that would be really helpful. If linkage is not very likely, am I better off saving the money and doing courses at the local university? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a good plan. What are your SAT/ACT/GRE like? They like you to have done well in these to prove you can take standardised tests well. But yes look at their websites but sounds like you have a good chance.