Quiz thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Answer then ask a question.

Question 1:

What type of solvent would be best for favoring Sn1?

Members don't see this ad.

Nuel said:
I thought escape velocity was given as v = sqrt(2gR). So I guess it should be at at the equator. If I am wrong someone should correct this.

v=sqrt(2gR) has two variables.

--

i think the equation to use is:

v=sqrt(2GM/R) G=gravitational constant.

keep in mind g is not constant. (is g greater at equator or at north pole?)

LUBDUBB said:
Damnn good question Nuel, let's see if i can remember this stuff...Okay..mitochondrial uncouplers, you're talking about something like DNP..which can go right through the bilayer of the mitochondria. When it goes right through it takes protons with it into the matrix, so it messes up the proton gradient. No proton gradient --> ATP synthase are deactivated. Exaclty how that works, I really dont' know, but I'm going to go with choice A. (Although it could be choice B.) You got me on this one.

I don't think questions like this will show up on the MCAT, it came up in my BIO I test, but since we are philosophers, we love to know.

Antimetabolites like DNP associate with protons at the exterior region of the mitochondrial membrane. Since they are lipophilic, they pass through the membrane without going through ATP synthase. Remember that protons have to go through ATP synthase so that ADP is bound to phosphate to form ATP ( I think so). This does not say ATP synthase is deactivated, therefore A is wrong. The catalytic sites of ATP synthase will still produce ATP only if the stubborn protons refused to associate with such DNP-like drugs to cross the membrane.

*edit*--B is the correct answer.

jhk43 said:
v=sqrt(2gR) has two variables.

--

i think the equation to use is:

v=sqrt(2GM/R) G=gravitational constant.

keep in mind g is not constant. (is g greater at equator or at north pole?)

g is apparently greater at the equator.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nuel said:
Certain antimetabolite drugs can cause people to lose weight by uncoupling the chemiosmotic machinery thus making the mitochondrial lipid bilayer:

A. permeable to H+ because ATP synthase is deactivated in the
mitochondrial matrix by such changes and no ATP is produced.

B. permeable to H+ because the mitochondrial catalytic sites of ATP synthase
remain active but cannot produce ATP.

C. impermeable to H+ because ATP synthase is deactivated in the
mitochondrial matrix by such changes and no ATP is produced

D. impermeable to H+ because the mitochondrial catalytic sites of ATP
synthase remains active but cannot produce ATP.

this is a tuffy since ATP should be produced alwasy rite?

anyways, chemioosmtic probably means H+ gradient is null, making it permeable to H+. cross out C/D. theres nothing that makes me feel that ATP synthase is deactivated, so i'll choose B. the sites are still workable, but they dont pass any H+ thru them, so no ATP is produced.

B

jhk43 said:
this is a tuffy since ATP should be produced alwasy rite?

anyways, chemioosmtic probably means H+ gradient is null, making it permeable to H+. cross out C/D. theres nothing that makes me feel that ATP synthase is deactivated, so i'll choose B. the sites are still workable, but they dont pass any H+ thru them, so no ATP is produced.

B

The problem is that ETS does not generate energy, therefore glycolysis becomes some hyper-phenomenon, so people lose weight.

*edit* you are getting a 43, maybe 45. I think up the toughest questions and SDN geniuses deconstruct them like toys. Impressive.

one question i have is the relationship btw. waves's velocity and frequency.

v=sqrt(Tension/density)
v=wavelength * frequency

whats the difference?

jhk43 said:
one question i have is the relationship btw. waves's velocity and frequency.

v=sqrt(Tension/density)
v=wavelength * frequency

whats the difference?

I think the first applies to strings, and the other is merely general.

how bout a verbal one...

Which statement best sums the authors feelings on the MCAT?

I. Doleful acceptance
II. Overwhelming apprehension
III Love and admiration for the aamc

A) I only
B) II only
C)I&II only
D) I,II, and III

Cerberus said:
how bout a verbal one...

Which statement best sums the authors feelings on the MCAT?

I. Doleful acceptance
II. Overwhelming apprehension
III Love and admiration for the aamc

A) I only
B) II only
C)I&II only
D) I,II, and III

A. At least your posts suggest this. I don't think you are overwhelmed because you are extremely bright and have studied hard, and none of us apparently loves AAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nuel said:
progesterone?

I think it is testosterone, no Y chromosome in female *edit*

progesterone made in adrenal cortex of males

testosterone made in adrenal cortex of females.

Cerberus said:
Men produce estrogen in small amounts.

My guess is either prolactin or oxytocin

Exactly, I thought males produced estrogen too.

Lubdubb, why do you choose to torture us in addition to what we will receive 7 days from now? Just say the answer.

anyone want to start a AIM chat room thats up 24/7? have people come/go as they please...ask questions, etc...

Okay prolactin and oxytocin are still produced in males but their roles are still unclear.

HCG produced only in females (from blastocyst and placenta).

I admit it was a cheap shot.

jhk43 said:
anyone want to start a AIM chat room thats up 24/7? have people come/go as they please...ask questions, etc...

Feel free to IM me: citizensnoopy

Goodnight, everyone.
I'll be in the chat room "MCATSlayerz" if any of you want to join to pose questions/comments or whatever.

If I'm in the wrong room, tell me! :p

Ca(OH)2, Ba(OH)2, Sr(OH)2 Strong or weak acid?
Solubility for Group I Clorides? Group II Chlorides?

LUBDUBB said:
Okay prolactin and oxytocin are still produced in males but their roles are still unclear.

HCG produced only in females (from blastocyst and placenta).

I admit it was a cheap shot.

Just an interesting fact - HCG is produced by some testicular tumors also