Quoted: Problems with pharm during MS-2 yr

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A member asks:

I had a very decent undergrad track record I am in my second year. I started the first year calm, while most of my classmates were freaking out, and I did pretty well, getting an honors pass in anatomy, histology, embryology and clinical medicine - so obviously, somehow, I was doing something correctly. But then things started to go down hill. I have passed all of my first year classes, some thanks only to the curves, but I still passed. I have failed some exams, but managed to do well enough on others to pass. Our professors/Dean don't approach students who fail exams - that is up to the student, to take "initiative" and "change", that is.

I thought second year could/would be different - I would study more, spend less time doing chores, start studying for boards early, etc - that has yet to happen, and second year is hitting me HARD!! I am always behind, and sadly, have had to cram (and I don't mean average cramming) for some exams. I am passing most everything right now - but that's it, passing. No high pass or honors pass, meaning I'm borderline in all my classes except one - pharm. While we have a year of pharm to go, really, and no "final" grade per se, I am afraid I will fail that class, as I am not "passing" now!!

I know general concepts, and big picture stuff cold, but the little details kill me!! The exams are always over little details, too. And I am not the best test-taker.

Any advice for a tired, stressed, burned-out and mediocre second year student that is on the way to becoming LESS than mediocre and burned-out to the point of giving up?
Such as, what is the best way to handle pharm, especially when all the notes/books that we use are less than helpful when compared to the exam material we have been presented with. What is a good way to tackle the copious amounts of material hurled at us in path, while still dealing with pharm ;) If I just pass everything again this year, how much do my "grades" or rank, if you will, affect my residency options when it comes time to apply? How can I bring my averages up in these classes now that I am borderline - I am just really worried about residency and passing (for pharm).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

I will leave it to others to provide specific advice about pharm as it's been a long long time since I studied that. I would say that although doing well in the pre-clinical time period is helpful, it will not be likely to make or break your residency application except "maybe" for some of the most competitive specialties. Regardless, your USMLE scores can help here.

Beyond this advice though, and specific studying advice others can give, I'd like you to try to think about regaining some of the energy that brought you into medical school. That is, don't be convinced that your worth as a doctor is related to your grades or step scores, but in what you can contribute to the care of your patients and how you can enjoy the practice of medicine. This will ultimately determine your long-term career satisfaction. So, if you are inclined, talk to some faculty that you admire or otherwise wish to emulate about their careers and focus on the positives. That is, you are "in" a medical school, you are moving towards the clinical years, and you have the opportunity to practice medicine in many fields. I am genuinely grateful for the opportunities medicine has provided to me and am glad to be a physician and academic faculty. I hope you can find a passion too and not be too worried that your difficulties in doing pharmacokinetics will make you "mediocre."

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked to your pharm prof? You might also get useful advice from other students in your class who are strong in pharm, or upperclassmen if you know any. If what you're doing now isn't working, start experimenting and trying some new methods until you find something that does work. A lot of my classmates swear by using pharm flash cards; personally, I hate flash cards and have resisted buying any. But I already took grad pharm before med school, so I am probably not best person to ask whether flash cards work well. All I can tell you is that these pharm cards seem to be working for my classmates. :luck: to you. :)