Medical Possible to do a year abroad during residency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it is at all common or possible to do a year abroad and practice abroad during your residency? I'm sure this must be organized through your residency program, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard this being done.
Thanks

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

This is extremely difficult to do. Residency programs have a specific quota of residents at each PGY year. If you "take a year off", they then have a class that's a resident short. If they fill that spot with someone else, then there isn't room in the next year to fit you. In addition, as a resident you aren't fully trained, so the concern of sending you to an international site where you may have little / no supervision is an issue. There may be a few programs with a global health focus that have some international experience time built into the program -- you'd still get credit for that time so not end up off cycle. Also, residency programs lose all Medicare funding if a resident is off site, so that also limits options.

Members don't see this ad :)
While, as outlined above, the answer to your question is "no", I'm curious about your motivation for this.

I ask because there are definitely ways to scratch that "overseas itch" but the mechanisms for doing it will vary based on motivations and end goals.

This is VERY unlikely. Some programs already have abroad rotations set up as a form of community outreach and/or cultural competency. Some programs may allow you to go abroad for a rotation if it's not already set up, but this takes a lot of leg-work, and still would typically for for a single rotation or 2, and typically an elective. As mentioned above, there are quotas, so taking time off for this is also very unlikely and it would affect the program later down the line because they'd need to retain your position, which means the following year they may need to recruit 1 less person as there is a cap for number of people in total. As for practicing abroad outside of being with an organized group or sponsored through the group, you'd need to be licensed, and then apply to the country where you'd want to go. This could take years in some cases, would cost money, and in some cases you would need to take their exam(s) in their language. Then there are questions of who is paying you, malpractice, etc.

TLDR: No. Go abroad for vacation during residency. Practice however/wherever you want after.

Status
Not open for further replies.