konkan

coup de grace
10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
Is a R.PH (registered pharmacist) different from a PharmD?
All PharmDs are RPhs after they pass NAPLEX, but not all RPhs are PharmD (the ones who graduated before 1998 or something and just have B.S. degree).

HABANERO4ME

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
Status
My brother graduated with a PharmD in 1994. It depend on the school not the year of graduation.

HABANERO4ME

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
Status
My brother graduated with a PharmD in 1994. Its depend on the school not the year of graduation.

senzabee

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Before, you could become a pharmacist by just getting a bachelors in pharmacy (of course, after taking the exams and getting licensed). They changed that and now require people to go to pharmacy school and get your PharmD. All pharmacists are registered pharmacists, it's just that RPh's didn't get their PharmD. You'll notice a lot of the older pharmacists are RPh's, but just because they don't have a PharmD it doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. They just don't have $100,000 in loans to pay off, probably :p haha.

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status
In 2000, the ACPE, which is the accrediting board for pharmacy schools detemined the entry level degree for pharmacist education would be the PharmD. Prior to that the educational degree was dependent upon the school and state....both a BS & PharmD degrees were awarded. These are academic degrees.

The RPh indicates the individual has sucessfully passed the state board exam in which it was taken. It denotes licensure.

A pharmacist can have a BS or PharmD with or without an RPh, but an RPh must have a BS or PharmD.

There is a thread somewhere on this topic.