R2/R3 Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Northeaster

PGY-2 Maine Med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide what to do for my R2 elective. What have others done?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide what to do for my R2 elective. What have others done?

We have two elective blocks. I did a research block, which also entailed going to ireland for a week for a course.

Other things people in our program have done: lots have travelled internationally (kenya, india, thailand, iran, dubai, base camp mt.everest, spain, mexico, etc etc), radiology, peds gas, EM electives in places they wanted to work, infectious disease clinic (we have a guy...). I did trauma at ryder b/c back in the day, our residency didn't have a trauma elective. now they do. I know there is more but I cant think of it off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, hyperbarics in hawaii

Thanks Raja.

Does anyone know of a department with connections in Brazil?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne State University sends a lot of students to both Fortaleza and Sao Paulo, Brazil. The rotations aren't necessarily all EM but I'm sure something could be arranged as a resident. Contact person is Dr. J. Edson Pontes or the Student Affairs office might be helpful.

I'll check it out. I have talked to past residents and it seems much easier to repeat what someone has done in the past rather than create your own elective.