RA and being a vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

forks4spoons

Followin' the dream. UTCVM c/o 2023!!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I finally felt that I caught a break with my interview this cycle, but, as fate would have it, I am also likely going to be diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I see my rheumatologist next week. I have the worst luck ever. Pretty sure I'm cursed. But, gotta roll with the punches!

If I'm accepted, I'm not going to decline my spot based on this diagnosis, but I know that it brings about certain challenges (for me, specifically) with fatigue, joint aches, and brain fog - oy.

Do you, or someone you know/went to school with/worked with, have experiences with chronic disease while still studying to be/working as a veterinarian? If so, how do you make it work? Do you have any advice?

Feel free to PM me instead if you'd rather. Just hoping to get perspective since this is the battle I'm likely facing.

Many thanks,
Forks
 
Hi everyone,

I finally felt that I caught a break with my interview this cycle, but, as fate would have it, I am also likely going to be diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I see my rheumatologist next week. I have the worst luck ever. Pretty sure I'm cursed. But, gotta roll with the punches!

If I'm accepted, I'm not going to decline my spot based on this diagnosis, but I know that it brings about certain challenges (for me, specifically) with fatigue, joint aches, and brain fog - oy.

Do you, or someone you know/went to school with/worked with, have experiences with chronic disease while still studying to be/working as a veterinarian? If so, how do you make it work? Do you have any advice?

Feel free to PM me instead if you'd rather. Just hoping to get perspective since this is the battle I'm likely facing.

Many thanks,
Forks
I'm really late in replying, but I have RA. I also have other issues. My biggest advice is know your limits. Life has to be livable and not just work. For me that means working 5 days a week is not doable. I need to have time to see my rheumatologist in addition to needing time to recover from long days.