IT Director to Vet med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sfjmercado

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Low paid IT Director to vet med?

I’m an IT Director with about 25 years in the field. I worked my way up from help desk to systems/network engineering, and now into leadership. I’m in healthcare (community mental health), small team, about 280 staff total.

On paper, it’s stable. Good benefits. Pension. 407b. I clear about 68k net (98k gross), and while that might sound okay, it’s basically a ceiling. There’s no real upward movement from here besides incremental raises… without uprooting everything or finding more opportunities.

And that’s where this gets complicated.

I’m also… a bit of a polymath. Pilot. Nurse. EMT/firefighter. Former military. I originally went into nursing as a “fallback,” but ended up taking pre-med courses—and somehow, against the odds, I got accepted into veterinary school this fall.

That should feel like a dream, right?

Instead, it feels like standing at the edge of a cliff.

My wife has been on SSDI for years. We’ve been living paycheck to paycheck for a long time. I’ve built a life in IT that is stable, predictable, and honestly… comfortable. Low chaos. Known problems. Known solutions.

But we’re stuck.

We’re not building anything. We’re surviving.

Vet school represents something completely different.

Risk. Debt. Four years of grinding while being the sole provider. Living off loans, scholarships, maybe HPSP/HPSL, picking up PRN nursing shifts, working summers. We’ve run the numbers…it might work.

Long-term? The ceiling could be much higher (160k–300k+ depending on path). Clinic Ownership with boarding….Oncology. Something meaningful. Something that could actually change our trajectory and my the family trajectory.

Short-term? It’s brutal.

I have three kids (15, 13, 7). And I keep asking myself:

Do I stay in a safe life where I can’t really give them more than “we’re okay”…still working 9-5…Or do I risk everything to try to build something bigger for us? Yes, it’s 4 years but by the end of this I would be seeing two close to adulthood and perhaps losing time.

I’m scared of losing the flexibility I have now. Scared of giving up the pension. Scared of failing after walking away from a stable career I spent decades building.

But I’m also scared of waking up 10–15 years from now realizing I chose comfort over growth and nothing really changed.

IT feels… unstable lately. Saturated. Political. And I don’t see my income meaningfully changing without major disruption anyway.

So I guess my question is:

If you were in my position…mid-career, family depending on you, stable but capped—would you take the risk and go to vet school? Or is this one of those moments where you stay put, be grateful, and don’t gamble what you’ve built?

I’m open to any thoughts, especially from people who’ve made a big career pivot later in life (41), or anyone in veterinary medicine who can speak to the reality.

I just don’t want to make a decision I regret for the rest of my life.
 
I’d probably find a job in nursing or something that pays more than your current role but doesn’t come with the exorbitant price tag of vet school. Veterinarians make good money, but the employment market is shifting and with the cost of schooling and the recent changes to the student loan situation, Especially if you’d be looking at taking out private loans to pay for school, a lot of that ‘salary bump’ would be eaten by loan repayment. I don’t think the career is a great return on investment, especially if your spouse is disabled and you also have children who are in an expensive phase of life (teenagerhood) and will potentially be going to college themselves soon. It’s hard to raise a family on just student loans and SSDI though maybe/hopefully you have other income streams as well. With all that said, if you do think you can make it work financially, my class did have some older career changers and they seemed to do well and love their choice.

Best of luck whichever route you choose.
 
Last edited:
I’d probably find a job in nursing or something that pays more than your current role but doesn’t come with the exorbitant price tag of vet school. Veterinarians make good money, but the employment market is shifting and with the cost of schooling and the recent changes to the student loan situation, Especially if you’d be looking at taking out private loans to pay for school, a lot of that ‘salary bump’ would be eaten by loan repayment. I don’t think the career is a great return on investment, especially if your spouse is disabled and you also have children who are in an expensive phase of life (teenagerhood) and will potentially be going to college themselves soon. It’s hard to raise a family on just student loans and SSDI though maybe/hopefully you have other income streams as well. With all that said, if you do think you can make it work financially, my class did have some older career changers and they seemed to do well and love their choice.

Best of luck whichever route you choose.
All of this, and I wanted to add that I think some of this depends on factors you should consider that not yet mentioned here:
- Would there be moving expenses for you to attend the school you were accepted to?
- Would your family be receptive to moving? I think sometimes we underestimate how much it negatively affects kids who are older to move (admittedly, this comment is based on a thread I was reading on the AITAH subreddit last night :laugh: )
- Is it a program where you'd have to take out private loans due to the tuition? I agree with Jayna that the career is not a good return on investment and if you're already living paycheck to paycheck, how is this going to work while you would be in school? You will not be able to work a meaningful amount while in vet school, and if you're essentially the sole provider for your family right now, consider how that would work.

My vet school class and the class above mine both had members who were in their second careers, but they had built up a financial cushion before making the decision to switch and had a level of financial stability that made it very feasible for them to do it. I think you have a lot to consider to decide if that's the best decision for you and your family. Best of luck to you regardless, and congrats on your acceptance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’d probably find a job in nursing or something that pays more than your current role but doesn’t come with the exorbitant price tag of vet school. Veterinarians make good money, but the employment market is shifting and with the cost of schooling and the recent changes to the student loan situation, Especially if you’d be looking at taking out private loans to pay for school, a lot of that ‘salary bump’ would be eaten by loan repayment. I don’t think the career is a great return on investment, especially if your spouse is disabled and you also have children who are in an expensive phase of life (teenagerhood) and will potentially be going to college themselves soon. It’s hard to raise a family on just student loans and SSDI though maybe/hopefully you have other income streams as well. With all that said, if you do think you can make it work financially, my class did have some older career changers and they seemed to do well and love their choice.

Best of luck whichever route you choose.
Thanks for the reply. I was enamored by nursing… I tried nursing, got my BSN - and I hated it - the demands, the holidays, the weekends, every nurse is used and abused. The nursing advocation is low and so badly needed - in terms of unionization.

That’s why I never completed my pivot from IT - I would be making effectively the same pay but killing myself - without any of the benefits, including remote work, having holidays, etc. so logically the ROI was not there.

My hope would be to kill the student loans with loan repayment options or the military.
 
All of this, and I wanted to add that I think some of this depends on factors you should consider that not yet mentioned here:
- Would there be moving expenses for you to attend the school you were accepted to?
- Would your family be receptive to moving? I think sometimes we underestimate how much it negatively affects kids who are older to move (admittedly, this comment is based on a thread I was reading on the AITAH subreddit last night :laugh: )
- Is it a program where you'd have to take out private loans due to the tuition? I agree with Jayna that the career is not a good return on investment and if you're already living paycheck to paycheck, how is this going to work while you would be in school? You will not be able to work a meaningful amount while in vet school, and if you're essentially the sole provider for your family right now, consider how that would work.

My vet school class and the class above mine both had members who were in their second careers, but they had built up a financial cushion before making the decision to switch and had a level of financial stability that made it very feasible for them to do it. I think you have a lot to consider to decide if that's the best decision for you and your family. Best of luck to you regardless, and congrats on your acceptance!
That’s my fault for not elaborating - I applied to one school in state and got accepted. Kind of a unicorn deal. Beat 10k applicants and got an immediate 10k scholarship. The tuition is low - 34k yearly. No moving as we live 30 min out.

We would have to leverage the HPSP program, HPSL/disadvanted loans, we can get our COA raised to 50-65k? and I planned on working 3 shifts a month as a PRN RN primarily on weekends and bulk in the summer to stockpile income. My wife gets about 900-1000 in SSDI monthly. Plus a 10k scholarship. We will have 20k saved as a cushion into this.
 
I would not bank any decisions on these programs continuing to exist with a current administration that is very hostile toward education.
Right - the HPSP is likely to not go anywhere but does come with a. 3 year obligation I am considering it.
 
Look at this as well -- You have 25 years in IT and so I am assuming you are somewhere around 50 years old. You will go to school for 4 years. Post that you will have a 3 year HPSP obligation and post that it will take you at least a couple of years to set up your own clinic etc. So you are pushing almost 60 by the time you start making the big bucks.
Your kids are also about to go to college and it costs a lot (unless you want your kids to take all the loans in the world).
On the other hand, IT Jobs are not that secure these days and anything can happen anytime and so this could be a good opportunity to pivot.
 
Thanks for the reply. I was enamored by nursing… I tried nursing, got my BSN - and I hated it - the demands, the holidays, the weekends, every nurse is used and abused. The nursing advocation is low and so badly needed - in terms of unionization.

That’s why I never completed my pivot from IT - I would be making effectively the same pay but killing myself - without any of the benefits, including remote work, having holidays, etc. so logically the ROI was not there.

My hope would be to kill the student loans with loan repayment options or the military.

I'm gonna hold your hand when I tell you this....... /s

Also as a sidenote....you say it will be 4 years. If you specialize (e.g oncology as you mentioned) to try to make bigger bucks, it definitely will not be four years. Owning a clinic is no cakewalk either. I think you might have a romanticized view of the profession and its salaries. I'm still not 100% sure why you are interested in vet med - what draws you to the profession other than perceived upward salary mobility, "growth", and "making a difference" (which are quite vague). What experience in (or at least exposure to) the profession do you have so far that makes you sure it is the path for you?
 
Last edited:
Look at this as well -- You have 25 years in IT and so I am assuming you are somewhere around 50 years old. You will go to school for 4 years. Post that you will have a 3 year HPSP obligation and post that it will take you at least a couple of years to set up your own clinic etc. So you are pushing almost 60 by the time you start making the big bucks.
Your kids are also about to go to college and it costs a lot (unless you want your kids to take all the loans in the world).
On the other hand, IT Jobs are not that secure these days and anything can happen anytime and so this could be a good opportunity to pivot.
I am 41. Seeking also to Comission as a reservist veterinarian. Kids will have to do like I did - and try to get grants, loans, etc as we cannot even help them now as it is. Maybe as I advance in vet med. IT is definitely a cluster. And so far it hasn’t paid off well.
 
I'm gonna hold your hand when I tell you this....... /s

Also as a sidenote....you say it will be 4 years. If you specialize (e.g oncology as you mentioned) to try to make bigger bucks, it definitely will not be four years. Owning a clinic is no cakewalk either. I think you might have a romanticized view of the profession and its salaries. I'm still not 100% sure why you are interested in vet med - what draws you to the profession other than perceived upward salary mobility, "growth", and "making a difference" (which are quite vague). What experience in (or at least exposure to) the profession do you have so far that makes you sure it is the path for you?


Thanks for the realism. Specialization is not a deal breaker. I realize that may involve residency (1-3 years etc). I researched clinical ops with boarding, and Iwould be fine as I love driving business ops. I am good with analytics obviously in my profession so I mapped the salary range from 130-330k depending on interest. Still a better jump from 98k at the lowest range. I started as a vet tech in 2009, accumulated 1600 hours and recently for admission shadowed with telemedicine and VCA for months. I also have had horses, dogs, cats, Guineas, degus, hamsters, sugar gliders, reef tanks, and we run a breeding program AKC with 5 pugs. I have in many times treated and birthed animals and there is a great variety and enjoyment of doing so much in the field (imaging, pharm, surg, counseling, treatments) I feel i can use my talents in IT, and enjoyment of treating problems and solving issues in a career that is worth my time and energy.
 
Thanks for the realism. Specialization is not a deal breaker. I realize that may involve residency (1-3 years etc). I researched clinical ops with boarding, and Iwould be fine as I love driving business ops. I am good with analytics obviously in my profession so I mapped the salary range from 130-330k depending on interest. Still a better jump from 98k at the lowest range. I started as a vet tech in 2009, accumulated 1600 hours and recently for admission shadowed with telemedicine and VCA for months. I also have had horses, dogs, cats, Guineas, degus, hamsters, sugar gliders, reef tanks, and we run a breeding program AKC with 5 pugs. I have in many times treated and birthed animals and there is a great variety and enjoyment of doing so much in the field (imaging, pharm, surg, counseling, treatments) I feel i can use my talents in IT, and enjoyment of treating problems and solving issues in a career that is worth my time and energy.
Residency is 4 years after vet school MINIMUM, thats assuming you go straight from vet school to rotating internship to residency which is increasingly harder to do.

I hope you haven't "treated" animals without a DVM as that's illegal.

I agree with an above comment about not being sure why you want to go to vet school right now when you can work in medicine as an RN or continue working in IT. I really don't think you've got a solid grasp of the DVM responsibilities without idealizing the field, which I say with a grain of salt. If you didn't like nursing I really don't think you'll like vet med, the hours and burnout are just as bad or worse. It's just as much client facing time. We have the highest suicide rate of any profession. Just my $0.02.
 
Thanks for the realism. Specialization is not a deal breaker. I realize that may involve residency (1-3 years etc). I researched clinical ops with boarding, and Iwould be fine as I love driving business ops. I am good with analytics obviously in my profession so I mapped the salary range from 130-330k depending on interest. Still a better jump from 98k at the lowest range. I started as a vet tech in 2009, accumulated 1600 hours and recently for admission shadowed with telemedicine and VCA for months. I also have had horses, dogs, cats, Guineas, degus, hamsters, sugar gliders, reef tanks, and we run a breeding program AKC with 5 pugs. I have in many times treated and birthed animals and there is a great variety and enjoyment of doing so much in the field (imaging, pharm, surg, counseling, treatments) I feel i can use my talents in IT, and enjoyment of treating problems and solving issues in a career that is worth my time and energy.

It still sounds a bit more like you're into the management/analytics (aka numbers) if you will than the medicine (and yes, I realize that there is overlap in the problem-solving nature of both, but hear me out). Have you considered practice management perhaps? Or, if you wanted to go back to school, trying something with a more business focused angle? Of course I don't know your mind, but I'm trying to picture how it works based on your posts and that is more the vibe I am getting. I feel like you enjoy creating and building, both of which are incredibly hard to do in veterinary medicine when we are constrained by the finances of the owner every day when trying to deliver quality medicine.

The joke about holding your hand was more in regards to if you think nurses are treated poorly, then hold on to your horses (no pun intended) because vets are treated just as poorly by the public a lot of the time - I'm sure you saw that as a technician and when you are the front-line person, the brunt of it is even worse. Not being in a client-facing role was honestly one of the reasons I specialized into a minimally client-facing field of vet med - no way could I deal with the average pet owners day in and day out, and the general practitioners who do are absolute saints.
 
Residency is 4 years after vet school MINIMUM, thats assuming you go straight from vet school to rotating internship to residency which is increasingly harder to do.

I hope you haven't "treated" animals without a DVM as that's illegal.

I agree with an above comment about not being sure why you want to go to vet school right now when you can work in medicine as an RN or continue working in IT. I really don't think you've got a solid grasp of the DVM responsibilities without idealizing the field, which I say with a grain of salt. If you didn't like nursing I really don't think you'll like vet med, the hours and burnout are just as bad or worse. It's just as much client facing time. We have the highest suicide rate of any profession. Just my $0.02.
Right, I saw residency at 1+3. Again, my goal would be most likely into clinical ops.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Residency is 4 years after vet school MINIMUM, thats assuming you go straight from vet school to rotating internship to residency which is increasingly harder to do.

I hope you haven't "treated" animals without a DVM as that's illegal.

I agree with an above comment about not being sure why you want to go to vet school right now when you can work in medicine as an RN or continue working in IT. I really don't think you've got a solid grasp of the DVM responsibilities without idealizing the field, which I say with a grain of salt. If you didn't like nursing I really don't think you'll like vet med, the hours and burnout are just as bad or worse. It's just as much client facing time. We have the highest suicide rate of any profession. Just my $0.02.
I hear what you’re saying and I genuinely respect it. These are the kinds of realities people should talk about more openly.

I don’t think veterinary medicine is some idealized escape from hard work or burnout. If anything, I’m walking toward it knowing it’s difficult. I’ve lived in high-stress environments...fire/EMS, nursing, and healthcare IT leadership and I’ve seen what burnout actually looks like up close. I’m not under the illusion that vet med is easier. It’s not. I participate in CISM, I have no issues discussing hard "ones" or feelings. I straddle emergency thinking with humanisitc resolve.

But I also think it’s fair to say that nursing right now isn’t exactly a sustainable gold standard either. Speaking from experience. At the same token many people glamorize RNs, and travel nursing...Many RNs are burned out, overworked, underpaid relative to responsibility, CEs, and legal liability due to the oversaddling of patient loads and stuck in systems where they have very little autonomy or control over their patients (a big one), high patient ratios, and limited control over their schedules or work environments. I worked days, nights, weekends, and had to deal with horrible co-workers/managers, and dangerous patient loads. The “work-life balance” argument cuts both ways depending on the setting, because a lot of bedside nurses and NPs (which I considered) are working nights, weekends, holidays, and still carrying the emotional weight home with the weight of hospital management, nurse managers, and horrible patients. It truly is a hot mess when it comes to nursing. At least the trade off is what I see with vet med.

Veterinary medicine has its own challenges, absolutely, but it also offers something that’s hard to quantify unless you’ve felt the absence of it: ownership of your work, continuity of care, and the ability to build something of your own over time. A possible uncap of earning potential. Whether that’s a clinic, a specialty, or a niche in the field, there’s a level of professional autonomy there that’s very different from what many nurses experience and even NPs with Doctors pushing them back down to their place.

And I do want to be clear...I’m not going into this blind. The responsibilities of a veterinarian aren’t lost on me:
  • Diagnosing and treating a wide range of medical conditions across species
  • Performing surgery and managing anesthesia
  • Interpreting diagnostics (labs, imaging, pathology)
  • Managing emergencies and critical care cases
  • Navigating client communication, including financial limitations, emotional decisions, and end-of-life care
  • Running or contributing to the business side of a practice
  • Carrying the ethical weight of euthanasia decisions
That’s medicine, business, and human psychology all rolled into one. And honestly, that’s part of what draws me to it.

One thing I’ve learned about myself is that I like working with people. I miss it. Sitting in a room surrounded by servers, tickets, and screens...it’s stable, but it’s isolating. I don’t get energy from that. I get energy from interaction, from helping, from having meaningful work, from solving problems in real time with real impact and seeing people or animals better from it.

As for the suicide rate....yeah, that statistic matters. It should make all of us pause. From what I’ve seen, there are complex factors behind it: emotional burden, client expectations, financial pressures, and yes, often a workforce that includes highly empathetic individuals who may struggle with self-advocacy. That’s not a criticism...it’s something the profession needs to better support. It also appears to be affecting women dispporporionately almost 4x higher then male veterinarians. I can only assume the higher level of empathy and lack of self advocacy. Paramedics and public safety are in many ways on par.

If anything, that reality doesn’t push me away, it reinforces that the field needs people willing to approach it differently. With boundaries. With perspective. With support systems. And frankly, with the willingness to advocate for themselves and for the profession as much as they do about the animals.

Where I think I bring something unique is in that intersection...medicine, technology, and systems thinking. I don’t just want to practice veterinary medicine. I want to improve how it’s delivered. Whether that’s through better workflows, leveraging higher levels of technology, improving access, or reducing inefficiencies that contribute to burnout, that’s where my background in IT and healthcare actually becomes an asset, not something I’m leaving behind.

This isn’t me running from something. It’s me moving toward something, cautiously with my eyes open.

And I think that’s an important distinction.
 
Last edited:
It still sounds a bit more like you're into the management/analytics (aka numbers) if you will than the medicine (and yes, I realize that there is overlap in the problem-solving nature of both, but hear me out). Have you considered practice management perhaps? Or, if you wanted to go back to school, trying something with a more business focused angle? Of course I don't know your mind, but I'm trying to picture how it works based on your posts and that is more the vibe I am getting. I feel like you enjoy creating and building, both of which are incredibly hard to do in veterinary medicine when we are constrained by the finances of the owner every day when trying to deliver quality medicine.

The joke about holding your hand was more in regards to if you think nurses are treated poorly, then hold on to your horses (no pun intended) because vets are treated just as poorly by the public a lot of the time - I'm sure you saw that as a technician and when you are the front-line person, the brunt of it is even worse. Not being in a client-facing role was honestly one of the reasons I specialized into a minimally client-facing field of vet med - no way could I deal with the average pet owners day in and day out, and the general practitioners who do are absolute saints.
That’s a really fair read and I actually appreciate you challenging that, because I can see how it comes across that way.

I do enjoy the analytics, the operations, the building side of things. That’s been my world for a long time. But if I’m being honest, that’s also exactly why I’m questioning it. I’ve reached a point where numbers, dashboards, and optimization don’t feel like enough on their own anymore. They’re tools...but they’re not the “why.” What I’m really looking for is meaning.

And for me, meaning looks like being directly involved in diagnosing, treating, being present in those moments that actually matter to someone (and something) in front of me. That’s the part I’ve missed. In IT, even at a leadership level, the impact is often abstract or delayed. There is tape, there is limitations of course, there is work... In medicine, whether human or animal, I see tangible, and deeply human (even when the patient isn’t). There is a potential for lives to be impacted, and in some cases both animal and human.

You’re absolutely right that veterinary medicine is constrained, financially, emotionally, structurally. I saw that as a tech, and I’ve seen it again shadowing. The tension between “what we can do medically” and “what we’re allowed to do based on cost” is real, and sometimes heartbreaking. I don’t dismiss that at all.

But I also don’t see that as a reason to step away...I see it as part of the reality I’m willing to step into. I have thought of sliding scales, ensuring better technological apps or televet solutions, and maybe enhancing vet med as a whole. In many ways - legacy is important, and what we do in life, the one life we have and how we impact others is CRITICAL to me.

And maybe this is where my background shapes my perspective differently. I’m used to working inside constraints...budget, systems, limitations....and still trying to find ways to improve outcomes. Not perfectly, not always successfully, but intentionally. If anything, that challenge is part of what draws me in, not what pushes me away.

As for client interaction, I hear you there too. You can recap on my other posts. I crave the interaction. I’ve seen how hard that can be. But I don’t think I’m wired to avoid it. I actually miss working with people. Even the difficult conversations, the emotional ones, that’s part of the responsibility that gives the work weight. I’ve done that in nursing, EMS, and life in general. It’s not easy, but it’s meaningful.

I don’t want to just build systems anymore. I want to be part of something where the outcome isn’t just efficiency or performance, but care.

And if I can bring the operational mindset into that space...to help make clinics run better, reduce friction, support teams, maybe even ease some of that burnout over time, then I’m not choosing between medicine and business. I’m trying to bridge them in a way that actually serves both.

So yeah, I get why you see the management angle. But that’s not the vision of destination for me. It’s just part of what I bring to the table.
 
I don’t just want to practice veterinary medicine. I want to improve how it’s delivered. Whether that’s through better workflows, leveraging higher levels of technology, improving access, or reducing inefficiencies that contribute to burnout, that’s where my background in IT and healthcare actually becomes an asset, not something I’m leaving behind.
Do you even need a DVM degree to do this though? That’s more a rhetorical question than anything. There’s a lot of IT stuff in vet med where your existing knowledge may be very useful and in many states you can be a practice owner or manager without being a DVM. I just think spending 300k+ and putting your family through the stress of the main breadwinning parent going back to school isn’t worth the monetary and metaphorical costs, but you’ve gotten the acceptance, so if it’s what you want/need, then go for it.
 
Do you even need a DVM degree to do this though? That’s more a rhetorical question than anything. There’s a lot of IT stuff in vet med where your existing knowledge may be very useful and in many states you can be a practice owner or manager without being a DVM. I just think spending 300k+ and putting your family through the stress of the main breadwinning parent going back to school isn’t worth the monetary and metaphorical costs, but you’ve gotten the acceptance, so if it’s what you want/need, then go for it.

That’s a fair question and I’ve thought about that a lot. Why do you have MDs + PhDs or DVM + PhDs?

I agree that there are ways to influence veterinary medicine from the outside...practice management, consulting, operations...but I don’t think you can fully change a system you don’t deeply understand from the inside. Medicine isn’t just workflows, metrics, or business models. It’s judgment. It’s nuance. It’s knowing when something doesn’t fit the algorithm because you’ve seen it, felt it, managed it yourself. That kind of understanding doesn’t come from the perimeter, it comes from going through the rigor of training and actually practicing.

If I want to improve how care is delivered, not just optimize it on paper, I need to understand the root concepts: diagnostics, treatment decision-making, surgical considerations, client communication under pressure. Otherwise, I’m just another voice suggesting changes without carrying the weight of those decisions. Or I have to just be another tech owner hiring vets, thereby defeating the purpose of the pivot and being involved in direct patient care or application. I don’t want to be adjacent to it, I want to be accountable within it.

I want to practice medicine, hopefully bringing that operational mindset with me.

Because I think the people best positioned to improve a field are the ones who are willing to both do the work and understand the system around it, not just one or the other.

And yeah, it’s a harder path. But I think that’s kind of the point.
 
I don’t mean to be harsh, but the idealism in your writing made me wonder whether you’ve fully considered what you’re getting into. Consider whether you’d be content graduating and going straight into private practice. Life obligations can change, and school can be draining, many people don’t finish with enough energy to pursue a rotating internship, much less attempt to reshape the industry.

I am a career changer and I don't have regrets but no way I would choose this path again. I would pursue less expensive ways of finding meaning and fulfillment. Not to mention, I would try more to find it in my personal life than in my professional life but that's just my 2 cents.
 
I don’t mean to be harsh, but the idealism in your writing made me wonder whether you’ve fully considered what you’re getting into. Consider whether you’d be content graduating and going straight into private practice. Life obligations can change, and school can be draining, many people don’t finish with enough energy to pursue a rotating internship, much less attempt to reshape the industry.

I am a career changer and I don't have regrets but no way I would choose this path again. I would pursue less expensive ways of finding meaning and fulfillment. Not to mention, I would try more to find it in my personal life than in my professional life but that's just my 2 cents.
Right, you can also see I have thought about this on all accounts - It will be painful. MY hope is to just get out alive, and make it in the few years that follow.

I don’t think you’re wrong about the cost, the grind, or the reality that school can drain people to the point where bigger ambitions get put on hold. I’ve seen that in nursing, and I’ve lived a version of it myself. I worked full-time, went through school, did clinicals, sometimes working night and day shifts with 4 hours of sleep (maybe not)...it wasn’t theoretical for me either. It was exhausting, and there were definitely moments where the goal was just to get through, not to chase anything bigger.

But I also think that experience is part of why I’m not approaching this blindly.

If you look at almost any demanding field, medicine, nursing, veterinary, there’s a common thread: ask people if they’d do it again, and a lot will say no. I would not do nursing school again! Not necessarily because it wasn’t meaningful, but because the path to get there is brutal but I am glad I am a nurse of course. I don’t think that answer alone means the profession isn’t worth pursuing. I think it reflects how hard the journey is.

If someone feels strongly that they wouldn’t choose the path again, I think it’s also fair to ask: what’s keeping them in it now?

That’s not meant as a challenge or criticism...it’s just an honest question. Because at some point, we all have to reconcile whether we’re staying in something out of alignment, fear, comfort....or whether there’s still something in it that matters enough to continue.

For me, this isn’t about chasing fulfillment in a naive way or expecting a career to “complete” my life. I agree with you, meaning should exist outside of work too. Part of the reason for the switch is that I want to help my kids, get a retirement, and perhaps not work will into life. I also want to leave a legacy. Family, relationships, purpose beyond a title...those matter more. I cannot do more, because I cannot earn more.

But at the same time, we spend a massive portion of our lives working. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want that time to feel aligned with who you are and what you value.

I’m not expecting veterinary medicine to be easier. I’m not expecting it to fix anything (besides offer more opportunity and a great career). I’m choosing it knowing it’s hard, just like nursing was, just like EMS was, just like IT leadership has been in its own way.

The difference is, this feels like something I’d rather struggle toward than away from. And if I get to the end of it and it’s still hard? That won’t surprise me.

But not trying...that’s the part I think I’d regret more.

I am not trying to talk myself into this either. I am on the fence.
 
OP, a few years ago, you were posting about switching from your current situation to pursuing an MD/DO. What made you not do that, and what do you feel is different about vet med that makes it a better option for you than being a human physician?
I think part of where I’m coming from is that I was already a bit disillusioned with nursing and even the path toward MD/DO. Not because I don’t enjoy medicine...I do, whether it’s people or animals no matter, but because I started to see how restrictive the human side of medicine can be. The time investment, the structure, the layers of limitation…it just didn’t feel like the right fit for me long-term. It seemed more incompatible than vet med. The requirements more daunting.

Ironically, I didn’t even have to take the MCAT or any test to get accepted to vet school and I’m fully aware that may have been a barrier for me on the human medicine side. That alone forced me to step back and really ask what path actually aligns with me, not just what’s traditionally seen as the “next step.”

I enjoy specialty-level thinking and problem-solving. I like depth. What I’ve struggled with is the idea of prolonged general education that feels disconnected from the work itself. I understand it’s necessary, but it’s never been where I thrive.

And when I compare the two paths, some realities matter to me. Veterinary medicine, while still demanding, tends to carry less exposure to admin burden and system constraints...there is a lower litigation risk, fewer licensure complaints at scale, and more flexibility in how you shape your career. There is little in the realm of patient non-compliance, and abuse. The fields are flexible, like nursing, you are not locked in versus MD into a specialty necessarily unless seeking one. The biggest concern was the residency bottleneck and low pay. I have seen MDs not being able to practice or hurt financially. The expectation of hospitalist work or extended residencies on the human side is something I’ve found less appealing, especially given where I am in life.

And candidly, humans can be difficult patients, sometimes willfully so. I’ve experienced that firsthand. That doesn’t take away from the value of human medicine, but it does shape how I think about where I want to invest my time and energy.

This isn’t me looking for an easier path...I don’t think one exists. It’s me trying to choose the one that fits who I am a little better.
 
There is little in the realm of patient non-compliance, and abuse
Oh my friend :laugh:

I think @WhtsThFrequency was onto something here:
It still sounds a bit more like you're into the management/analytics (aka numbers) if you will than the medicine (and yes, I realize that there is overlap in the problem-solving nature of both, but hear me out). Have you considered practice management perhaps? Or, if you wanted to go back to school, trying something with a more business focused angle? Of course I don't know your mind, but I'm trying to picture how it works based on your posts and that is more the vibe I am getting. I feel like you enjoy creating and building, both of which are incredibly hard to do in veterinary medicine when we are constrained by the finances of the owner every day when trying to deliver quality medicine
From what you've said so far, it seems to me like there's a real possibility you could find the fulfillment you're looking for without sinking yourself into the debt that comes with acquiring a DVM, and I don't think you truly need a DVM for the things that seem to excite you. It might be worthwhile to look into medical care-focused business programs to see if that would be something that interests you.
 
Oh my friend :laugh:

I think @WhtsThFrequency was onto something here:

From what you've said so far, it seems to me like there's a real possibility you could find the fulfillment you're looking for without sinking yourself into the debt that comes with acquiring a DVM, and I don't think you truly need a DVM for the things that seem to excite you. It might be worthwhile to look into medical care-focused business programs to see if that would be something that interests you.
Well - that is the reasoning for "willful". Animals will be animals. People are a whole different story. I can deal with the interactions of pet parents, as an IT expert it takes much patience and resilience considering the customer service focus.

Elaborating on the business aspect - I do not enjoy crunching numbers and statistical reasoning as a daily job - I do this already. I want to be impactful, hands on, and have meaningful interactions. This is what is lost as a vampire of the server closet.
 
Well - that is the reasoning for "willful". Animals will be animals.
I think shorty’s point was more so that animal compliance is manageable, because as you said, animals will be animals.

How are you going to manage it when an owner brings in your foreign body dog you just did surgery on with its intestines out because “he wouldn’t eat with the e-collar on so I took it off” and he eviscerated himself? How will you deal with the owner who refuses to stop feeding a raw diet even when both the dog and owner have contracted salmonella? How will you deal with the client who brings in their dog for limping but won’t do an x-ray or physical therapy and just wants pain meds? Animal compliance is almost never the issue. People will still people though.
 
I think shorty’s point was more so that animal compliance is manageable, because as you said, animals will be animals.

How are you going to manage it when an owner brings in your foreign body dog you just did surgery on with its intestines out because “he wouldn’t eat with the e-collar on so I took it off” and he eviscerated himself? How will you deal with the owner who refuses to stop feeding a raw diet even when both the dog and owner have contracted salmonella? How will you deal with the client who brings in their dog for limping but won’t do an x-ray or physical therapy and just wants pain meds? Animal compliance is almost never the issue. People will still people though.
Right.

Those would not faze me, oddly. I am resilient; we get a lot of mistakes and ill technological people in IT and push back in public safety and nursing. It is always putting out fires and dealing with those who are not the brightest crayon in the box. That is why I presume new students must be struggling - as they have not had to deal with the fires in their lives, let alone in the world, when exposed to really ridiculous things. But maybe this is my background in public safety speaking. I have had to deal with so many emergencies, fatalities, literal fires (FF/EMT) and military (Army for 7 years) mayhem, that it seems like another walk in the park. You learn to talk about, CISM, and prioritize. In summary you cannot force anyone to do anything they do not want to do - and if it means that they hurt others or animals - so be it. That is their burden to shoulder. I would say its another reason to not go the MD/DO route - people sadly are more receptive to how their animals are treated then complying with their own health or wellbeing.
 
Last edited:
Well - that is the reasoning for "willful". Animals will be animals. People are a whole different story. I can deal with the interactions of pet parents, as an IT expert it takes much patience and resilience considering the customer service focus.

Elaborating on the business aspect - I do not enjoy crunching numbers and statistical reasoning as a daily job - I do this already. I want to be impactful, hands on, and have meaningful interactions. This is what is lost as a vampire of the server closet.
I do not think in any way, shape, or form that comparing IT customer service relates at all to veterinary medicine with pet parents. They are entirely different forms of communication with different approaches and a huge, massive variability. Emotions run very high with clients in a way that does not occur in other customer service roles. This is from almost two decades full time in the veterinary field while also holding down other jobs that required face to face interaction with customers. You also have to contend with interpersonal drama in a hospital setting and the hemorrhage of support staff (who are all unhappy because of low wages, low utilization, and little to no respect from clients). Just FYI.
 
That is why I feel new grads must be struggling - as they have not had to deal with the fires in their lives, let alone in the world, when exposed to really ridiculous things.
New grads are struggling because medicine is hard and no amount of exposure will prepare you for being the doctor in the scenario until you are the doctor. The flippancy with which you’re treating people who are either in school or practicing already when you asked for people’s advice is concerning.
 
you say you're on the fence, but it really does not seem like it. people have pointed out the downfalls of the career switch and better options money and burnout wise, but each time you've said why vet med and nothing else. it just doesn't seem like you really are open to what people are saying when its that this isn't a good choice. I do understand you are trying to explain yourself, but also not taking into account what other people are saying also
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you comment on the pre-vet reddit before, by chance? This is giving me major deja-vu to someone who had the same perception to veterinary medicine as you and they also had a background in IT/comp sci…

You seem to believe to know all of the ins and outs of veterinary medicine and that the truly upsetting cases that you would very likely come across would “not faze you.” Try being unfazed after working back-to-back overnight shifts and having poured so much time, money and energy into this career to HELP animals AND their people, and see gut wrenching cases like these.

In summary you cannot force anyone to do anything they do not want to do - and if it means that they hurt others or animals - so be it.

This? This is upsetting. In about 50% of US states, veterinarians are considered mandated reporters. If you see your client is actively causing harm to the patient, your mindset is “so be it?”… And please do not try to flip this because you stated it flat out
 
New grads are struggling because medicine is hard and no amount of exposure will prepare you for being the doctor in the scenario until you are the doctor. The flippancy with which you’re treating people who are either in school or practicing already when you asked for people’s advice is concerning.
I think there’s a lot being assumed here, and I’m responding in good faith because I’m genuinely trying to have a thoughtful discussion, not dismiss the realities.

I fully recognize that there are unknowns, and I don’t pretend otherwise. But I also think there’s a tendency in conversations like this to lean heavily into worst-case framing without acknowledging that people enter these paths with different motivations, tolerances, and definitions of success.

I’m not approaching this with idealism so much as intention.

At the same time, I do think there’s a degree of cynicism or gatekeeping that can creep into these discussions. When the narrative becomes overwhelmingly negative...focused on burnout, regret, or failure as it risks overlooking the people who do find fulfillment in the work, even if it’s imperfect.

I’m not dismissing the challenges. I’m weighing them alongside the reasons someone might still choose this path and find it meaningful.

Right now, I’m trying to evaluate that balance honestly, not through fear, but through perspective.
 
Last edited:
I do not think in any way, shape, or form that comparing IT customer service relates at all to veterinary medicine with pet parents. They are entirely different forms of communication with different approaches and a huge, massive variability. Emotions run very high with clients in a way that does not occur in other customer service roles. This is from almost two decades full time in the veterinary field while also holding down other jobs that required face to face interaction with customers. You also have to contend with interpersonal drama in a hospital setting and the hemorrhage of support staff (who are all unhappy because of low wages, low utilization, and little to no respect from clients).
I think part of where we’re talking past each other is the assumption that what’s being described is universal rather than situational.

I don’t disagree that veterinary medicine involves difficult client interactions, emotional volatility, and systemic challenges, that seems well established. But I would push back on the idea that this makes it fundamentally incomparable to other high-stakes, people-facing roles.

Fields like nursing, emergency services, and even leadership positions in IT deal with similar dynamics, high stakes, high emotion, competing expectations, limited resources, and responsibility without full control. The context is different, but the underlying human elements aren’t unique.

More importantly, I also think this discussion with a select few individuals seems to have started to drift into comparisons in a way that’s becoming less productive. My intent isn’t to argue over whose experience is harder or more valid. I’m trying to understand the concerns being raised and relate them to my own background so I can make an informed decision.

If that’s coming across as minimizing or reframing things too much, that’s not the intent. I’m not trying to dismiss anyone’s experience; I’m trying to process it through a lens I understand. Hopefully, a filter that does not disuade due to a poor soul's experience.

At the end of the day, I’m not looking to debate subjective interpretations of what each role “feels like.” I’m trying to evaluate whether the realities of this path align with my own tolerance, experience, and goals.
 
Did you comment on the pre-vet reddit before, by chance? This is giving me major deja-vu to someone who had the same perception to veterinary medicine as you and they also had a background in IT/comp sci…

You seem to believe to know all of the ins and outs of veterinary medicine and that the truly upsetting cases that you would very likely come across would “not faze you.” Try being unfazed after working back-to-back overnight shifts and having poured so much time, money and energy into this career to HELP animals AND their people, and see gut wrenching cases like these.



This? This is upsetting. In about 50% of US states, veterinarians are considered mandated reporters. If you see your client is actively causing harm to the patient, your mindset is “so be it?”… And please do not try to flip this because you stated it flat out
First, no, my karma was low, so I elected to jump on SDN, but there are many posters in similar situations. Reddit is frustrating, given the difficulties of posting when you cannot easily achieve karma.

The comment that I “seem to believe I know all of the ins and outs of veterinary medicine” comes across as both presumptive and a bit inflammatory. If I believed that, I wouldn’t be here asking questions and engaging in discussion; I’d just move forward without seeking input.

My goal isn’t to argue minutiae or compare whose profession is harder or more important. That’s not a productive conversation, and it’s not why I’m here. I’m trying to understand the realities of the field, wade through the disgruntled, including the difficult parts, and relate them to my own background so I can make an informed decision. Likewise, many have not been in my shoes.

If anything, I’m here because I don’t assume I know everything and I value hearing perspectives from people who are in it. I just think it’s important that those perspectives are discussed without attributing intent or overgeneralizing where someone is coming from.

Lastly, I think my statement is being interpreted more absolutely than I intended, so let me clarify.

When I said you can’t force someone to do something they don’t want to do, even if that results in harm, I wasn’t suggesting indifference or inaction. I was acknowledging a reality that exists across multiple fields: you can advise, educate, advocate, and escalate when appropriate, but you don’t ultimately control another person’s decisions.

That doesn’t mean “so be it” in the sense of apathy; it means recognizing the limits of control while still acting within your professional and ethical responsibilities. I cheer for advocacy, but there are limits to one's own sphere of control. Circumstances like this can lead to emotional burden that causes suicidal ideations for circumstances out of one's control.

You do what you can within your scope, but you don’t always get the outcome you want.
 
Last edited:
you say you're on the fence, but it really does not seem like it. people have pointed out the downfalls of the career switch and better options money and burnout wise, but each time you've said why vet med and nothing else. it just doesn't seem like you really are open to what people are saying when its that this isn't a good choice. I do understand you are trying to explain yourself, but also not taking into account what other people are saying also
I think there’s a bit of a logical disconnect in that conclusion.

The assumption seems to be: because I respond with why veterinary medicine still appeals to me, I must not be considering the downsides or other viewpoints. That doesn’t necessarily follow. Explaining why something still holds value to me isn’t the same as ignoring criticism...it’s part of weighing it.

What’s actually happening is a form of confirmation bias in reverse where openness is being measured by whether I ultimately agree with the negative conclusions being presented. If I don’t adopt that conclusion, it’s being interpreted as not listening, rather than simply evaluating the same information differently.

There’s also a bit of a false dichotomy here: either I fully accept that this is a poor choice, or I’m not open to feedback. In reality, it’s possible to seriously consider the risks (burnout, finances, lifestyle) and still determine that the path may be worth it based on personal values, tolerance, and goals.

I’m not dismissing what people are saying, I’m engaging with it, testing it against my own experience, and trying to understand where it fits. That’s what being “on the fence” looks like in practice...not passively agreeing, but actively evaluating. It surprises me that these principles are lost to diagnosticians.

If anything, the fact that I’m still here discussing it should signal that I am taking it seriously. I value my time.
 
Last edited:
I think there’s a lot being assumed here, and I’m responding in good faith because I’m genuinely trying to have a thoughtful discussion, not dismiss the realities.
I am not the one making assumptions. You stated new grads struggle due to lack of life experience. That is making huge assumptions about new grads and shows a lack of understanding when it comes to what exactly vet med entails. The majority of my class is over 25. While not a career’s worth of experience, we all have life experiences that inform how we approach things.
At the same time, I do think there’s a degree of cynicism or gatekeeping that can creep into these discussions. When the narrative becomes overwhelmingly negative...focused on burnout, regret, or failure as it risks overlooking the people who do find fulfillment in the work, even if it’s imperfect.
Every single person here does what they do out of passion and love and knowledge seeking. We all bust our butts to care for our patients, and we find fulfillment in what we do. Not only that, but people on this site take time out of their personal and professional days to give people like you our experience, our advice, and do our best to set people up for success. To imply otherwise is insulting.
It surprises me that these principles are lost to diagnosticians
This is condescending and insulting. You are coming to us for expertise in our field.
 
I am not the one making assumptions. You stated new grads struggle due to lack of life experience. That is making huge assumptions about new grads and shows a lack of understanding when it comes to what exactly vet med entails. The majority of my class is over 25. While not a career’s worth of experience, we all have life experiences that inform how we approach things.

Every single person here does what they do out of passion and love and knowledge seeking. We all bust our butts to care for our patients, and we find fulfillment in what we do. Not only that, but people on this site take time out of their personal and professional days to give people like you our experience, our advice, and do our best to set people up for success. To imply otherwise is insulting.

This is condescending and insulting. You are coming to us for expertise in our field.
I think this has gone sideways because intent is being assumed rather than what’s actually being said.

When I referenced trends among incoming students, I was pointing to well-documented demographics not making a value judgment. Veterinary programs do skew younger and more traditional, and that matters when discussing paths, risk, finances, and burnout. Those variables don’t hit the same way for someone with a prior career, family, or financial obligations. This was confessed in my initial post.

What I’m pushing back on is the idea that I’m required to passively accept every response without question and not engage. That’s not how serious decisions get made. I’m here to evaluate perspectives against my own situation, not to just read.

Also, framing this as “you should be grateful for any input” isn’t helpful. I respect people taking the time to respond, but that doesn’t make their perspective universally applicable-especially if they’re not coming from a nontraditional position similar to mine. Context matters.

I’m specifically trying to hear from people who’ve entered vet med later, pivoted, or with significant life responsibilities, because that’s the situation I’m in. I have a house, 3 kids, a life career, dead family, and a dream… traditional students would have a hard time value adding…If that doesn’t apply to you, that’s fine, I accept any and all…but it also limits how relevant your experience is to the question I’m asking. I am the outlier, I come with a lot of life experiences, I have experienced a lot of trauma, death, personal preservation, deployments, and careers (pilot, EMT, RN, firefighter, IT, retail, teaching, military) been wounded in battle, and buried many and I have loved and lived more than many have seen in 2-3 lifetimes, so I need to know how it relates. I need to hear the good as well.

If anyone here has gone through vet school from a nontraditional background—career change, family, financial obligations—I’d genuinely value hearing how that impacted your experience.

If someone needs to destress, I suggest hitting the gym or doing something enjoyable, not talking in a forum hoping they can fell validated.
 
Last edited:
I fail to understand your passion for vet med here, OP. Based on what you've stated, you have jumped from considering different medical fields, those being nursing and MD/DO programs. Your initial post mentioned you are interested in more money, I only ask the following question because I have not seen it stated otherwise: Is pursuing vet med purely financial for your situation?

You mention wanting to open your own practice or pursuing residency in an area that generates more money than GP. Are finances your prime motivator here? Is a DVM degree more an investment to you or is there genuine passion for medicine in some capacity, helping and collaborating with people (clients, other doctors, other students, nurses, assistants etc), and the pursuit of furthering this field? There is no malice or assumption behind my question. I am just trying to understand your "why."
 
Also, framing this as “you should be grateful for any input” isn’t helpful.
I stated you asked us for our expertise and you instead chose to say that your nuance was “lost on us as diagnosticians”. I never said you had to accept it. But you do have to be respectful.
I’m specifically trying to hear from people who’ve entered vet med later, pivoted, or with significant life responsibilities, because that’s the situation I’m in. I have a house, 3 kids, a life career, dead family, and a dream… traditional students would have a hard time value adding…
Almost everyone here has responded to you is a non-traditional student. I am married. I am also an adult with a life. I have buried my brother. These things are not unique to you and by continuing to butt heads with the people you are asking help from will get you nowhere. Notice how many who tried to speak to you before have already bowed out.
If someone needs to destress, I suggest hitting the gym or doing something enjoyable, not talking in a forum hoping they can fell validated.
I don’t need validation. I do need you to treat the people on this forum, many of whom helped me with my vet career, with the respect they deserve, regardless of their age, as again, we are the ones in the field of whom you are asking for advice.
 
Many others from non-traditional backgrounds start on SDN and ask similar questions and get different responses based on the summary they present and the goals they have. Federal loan caps, rapid increase in the number of veterinary schools, and the current economic slowdown make the choice to go to vet school generally unfavorable to most people at this time. Your specific circumstances of having dependents and two preexisting stable career paths (nursing and IT) make it even less favorable.
 
Many others from non-traditional backgrounds start on SDN and ask similar questions and get different responses based on the summary they present and the goals they have. Federal loan caps, rapid increase in the number of veterinary schools, and the current economic slowdown make the choice to go to vet school generally unfavorable to most people at this time. Your specific circumstances of having dependents and two preexisting stable career paths (nursing and IT) make it even less favorable.
Right - those two career paths are volatile even now hence the need to revisit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I stated you asked us for our expertise and you instead chose to say that your nuance was “lost on us as diagnosticians”. I never said you had to accept it. But you do have to be respectful.

Almost everyone here has responded to you is a non-traditional student. I am married. I am also an adult with a life. I have buried my brother. These things are not unique to you and by continuing to butt heads with the people you are asking help from will get you nowhere. Notice how many who tried to speak to you before have already bowed out.

I don’t need validation. I do need you to treat the people on this forum, many of whom helped me with my vet career, with the respect they deserve, regardless of their age, as again, we are the ones in the field of whom you are asking for advice.
I was until you felt compelled to argue and presume the worst. My goal here was not to contest or compel anyone to help - it was merely to derive more information, feel heard, and be prepared for choices. Everyone processes in their own way.
 
I fail to understand your passion for vet med here, OP. Based on what you've stated, you have jumped from considering different medical fields, those being nursing and MD/DO programs. Your initial post mentioned you are interested in more money, I only ask the following question because I have not seen it stated otherwise: Is pursuing vet med purely financial for your situation?

You mention wanting to open your own practice or pursuing residency in an area that generates more money than GP. Are finances your prime motivator here? Is a DVM degree more an investment to you or is there genuine passion for medicine in some capacity, helping and collaborating with people (clients, other doctors, other students, nurses, assistants etc), and the pursuit of furthering this field? There is no malice or assumption behind my question. I am just trying to understand your "why."
Yes, it would be disingenuous to say finances won’t matter. I have a disabled wife, and I’m in a stage of life where I’m not just chasing purpose, I’m building stability, security, and a future. Right now I am limited by an income cap and volatile field. Ignoring that would be irresponsible. So no, I don’t dismiss the financial ceiling of a career, I factor it in deliberately.

But reducing this decision to “is it just about money?” No. Clearly we would be years out from this and most of the risk and 4 years of hurt will be front loaded.

If this were purely financial, there are far more efficient paths than veterinary medicine - and I am smart enough to challenge myself. I’m fully aware of that. What I’m looking for is something that sits at the intersection of impact, autonomy, and long-term purpose in medicine. I want to build something that delivers meaningful care while also allowing me to shape how that care is delivered.

I’ve worked in human medicine. I’ve seen both the good and the limitations. What draws me here isn’t indecision, it’s clarity that I want a career where I can directly influence outcomes, innovate, and contribute beyond a check. Whether that’s through specialty work, improving veterinary technology, advancing areas like oncology, orthopedics, or even longevity research….those are things I want to be part of, not just observe from the outside or build in a systems sense.

So no, this isn’t purely financial. And it’s not impulsive either.

It’s a calculated decision that weighs responsibility to my family, long-term sustainability, sense of purpose, a legacy, and a potential to enjoy the last career I have and the kind of impact I want my work to have over the next 20–30 years.

In the name of “proving empathy” would I actually be irresponsible? Am I allowed to want purpose and control at this stage of my life? Perhaps unwilling to accept brokenness? It’s a clash of value systems.

A lot of people (frankly in any helping profession) lean heavily into a culture of:

sacrifice first
money second (or not at all)
identity tied to service

And when someone comes in and says, “I want to do meaningful work AND be financially stable,” it can trigger people. Because it challenges the narrative they’ve built to justify their own path.

Do I need to throw caution to the wind and disregard the need for financial solvency to tender my time to clinics, free services, shelters, or missions to align myself more empathetically with other vets? I feel like I picked the forbidden apple here.
 
I was until you felt compelled to argue and presume the worst. My goal here was not to contest or compel anyone to help - it was merely to derive more information, feel heard, and be prepared for choices. Everyone processes in their own way.
No you were not. And continue not to be. You have spent this whole thread claiming your age makes you smarter than people in school or in the field and how you’ll be a better vet, because we have suggested this field is also volatile and financially risky and likely won’t give you what you’re looking for. You’ve also continuously made assumptions that your situation is unique and couldn’t possibly be related to by others. It’s not. We’ve showed you that.
Do I need to throw caution to the wind and disregard the need for financial solvency to tender my time to clinics, free services, shelters, or missions to align myself more empathetically with other vets? I feel like I picked the forbidden apple here.
You have a deep seated misconception of what a veterinarian does.
 
I see. A few notes:

Yes, those of us in “helping” fields typically go for passion first and the money will hopefully eventually come later. That does not have to be the case but unfortunately, given just how much veterinary school costs, the current loan changes and how much interest accrues while in school, you do eventually end up just wanted to get out of school and start living your dream. There are veterinarians who went to school 20-30 years ago who still have 100k+ of student loan debt. This is not an effort for me to “gate keep” as I believe vet med needs to welcome more non-traditional, empathetic and passionate people into our field. But. It IS the realities of going into vet school. You have four dependents. It is important to also think about your children and if they choose to pursue college, how will they be able to do so? If they needed private loans, would you still be able to be their guarantor if you have no proof of income? How will you afford to pay for groceries, cars, mortgage, medical bills, and other expenses when the current student loan limitations will barely even cover the cost of tuition.

Is the veterinary school you were accepted to your “in-state school”? or would you have to move? Would your family come with you or would you rent an apartment on your own while your family stays back where you currently live? Will more cars need to be bought to accommodate this change? Will your family be the ones visiting you or will you be visiting them over breaks? These are all very important questions because they are a) additional financial considerations and b) make a significant impact on your mental health and I can imagine your family is your support system. I would be very concerned if you were not taking your mental health into consideration. No matter your age, whether 20 or 40, this is a difficult path and a rigorous program- point blank period- and you *need* your support system.

There are also numerous opportunities to get involved in school and learn. As a student, you will have the opportunity to do those “free clinics” and learn to work empathetically and collaboratively with your peers. This field is not a field where you can fly solo. If you become an oncologist and one that owns their own oncology clinic, you will have to work with other doctors who refer patients to your practice, or devastated and angry clients whose dog you just had to euthanize because of how rapidly the cancer was spreading, or a client who was unable to pay for your services but desperately needed their dog to be helped/seen. Veterinary medicine is essentially helping people through helping animals. It is very very different from dealing with a disgruntled IT client/customer.

What is your current veterinary experience? Have you encountered these kinda of situations already and how did you feel like you could help?
 
So I didn't read any of the other responses. But I cannot recommend this profession to anyone for a few reasons:

1) The ROI is simply not there for the average doctor. People should only go to vet school if they can go for 200k total COA or less. Private lenders will absolutely make loans 10% + and there will be no death or forebearance benefit in any way.

2) Corporate. I found my unicorn job 3.5 years ago. I put in my resignation Sunday night because corporate bought us 4 years ago and is grinding the boot down hard. 1 tech to doctor is their policy for all their hospitals, and all of us are drowning. And any corporate with PE funding is feeling the squeeze as they are seeing the incoming recession (or feeling the current silent recession) and realizing they're about to lose a ton of the money they spent buying up vet clinics.

3) expansion of class sizes and schools. There are plenty of doctors. We don't have a lack of doctors, we have a maldistribution of doctors and a retention problem.

That's it. Only those three. Cause they affect 80%+ of veterinarians directly and the other 20% indirectly. And they are the main forces driving all the other things people talk about such as burn out and others.

No matter your age or anything like that, vet med is not a justifiable decision for the next 3-6 years while the education arena figures our how to deal with people not applying to schools or accepting their seats and these corporates dump or close their clinics and hospitals