RA horror stories/warnings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubuB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't think it's a secret that some people working in the field of clinical psychology carry around a lot of emotional baggage. Sometimes that can make them the wrong person to work for, particularly if you want to get into grad school. I'm referring to people who practice intellectual dishonesty (make you work on a paper but not put your name on it), lie about your duties as an RA (claim you will be involved in research but turn you into a secretary), etc.
Some might say that getting any kind of RA job is a good enough compensation considering that these are difficult jobs to get and that the job often is serves as a demonstration your desire to work in the field. On the other hand, being in this position can be devastating (I've seen numerous people decide to leave the field after seeing these practices), especially if you turn down a different and potentially better job. It also sends the wrong message to the people taking these jobs (who may emulate this behavior at that junction or as PIs) and the PIs themselves (who think they can continue to abuse their staff with impunity).
I've been in the position of taking this type of job and I didn't listen to the warnings (I thought it wouldn't be that bad, that the PI would like *me*) and I've provided warnings that weren't listened to (I'm now trying to help that person find a different job...). So I was wondering if anyone here had thoughts on the subject. Especially thoughts about warning others about taking these jobs

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting topic.

I am currently on internship, but spent my last two years at my graduate program working as a graduate assistant. Our lab had multiple layers. We had the PI, psychiatry residents, clinical psychology graduate students (myself and 2 others), a master's level program manager, and undergraduate RAs. Since I have left, there is now a post-doc as well. My biggest piece of advice to anyone considering an RA position is to get things in writing! Clear expectations on the front end (getting face-to-face time with participants vs. just data entry; opportunities for conference presentations and/or publication on articles) will save you a world of hurt on the back end. Also it is a good idea to have a mentor (other than the PI) who is invested in your future and is aware of your goals to advise you and advocate for you if necessary. This is most pertinent for those involved in graduate study or interested in applying to grad school in the future.

Last edited:
Interesting post. I think most folks in research focused PhD programs understand the RA positions very well, and in my experience, the best applicants are people that come from these types of lab because they are so close to the process. I think the types of experiences you are talking about are more common in RA positions that are in medical schools or hospitals---though OF COURSE, this is not a blanket rule (I have done both and had good and bad experiences in both). Just my observations. I definitely agree that you should make the agreement clear, and generally, I think post-BA RAs should aim to work for TWO years in a lab. Usually it takes about a year to get up to speed and people to realize you aren't a freak show, so fun stuff like publications and posters can happen usually in the second year. Also, remember to speak up for yourself. PIS are very busy and they might not be thinking about you as much as you are thinking about them---so if you are feeling you are putting in your dues and not getting whats owed, I think its fine to say something in a professional and honest manner. I would caution to say that MOST RA positions are not like this, but it is sad to see folks put in a couple of years hard work only to apply to graduate schools and have really nothing to put in personal statements/CVs. And it doesn't mean they aren't working hard, it's just that the skill sets are totally different. And last bite on this, I still say the best indicator of a good lab is to join one that is productive---google scholar them. If you want to apply to a research PhD program and you are working in a lab where the prof hasnt published in 10 years, thats not a good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is definitely hard to weed out the good from the bad when searching for an RA position. I really recommend asking lots of questions and talking with current RAs when interviewing.

At the same time, it is also important to remember that it's a job and an RA is an employee and not a student/trainee. That can be a difficult transition to make coming straight out of college, but also working in an academic environment. Of course people wouldn't take these jobs if there wasn't an opportunity for career development and learning, but the purpose of these positions from the PI perspective is to get the research done. And that could involve anything from conducting patient interviews, to participating in lab discussions re: protocol development, to things like photocopying, scheduling and purchase orders. There is a level of secretarial work in an RA position, and people really should be prepared for that.

Of course some PIs over-emphasize this element of the job, which can be a problem. But at the same time, it is really important to understand the pros and cons of this kind of a position, so that you go in with realistic expectations.

I could really fill up a whole blog with horror stories. However, the most frustrating thing for me has been the procrastination and lack of follow through of some of my PIs. Basically, at least in the labs I've worked at recently, I've run across so many yay-saying researchers who take on too much and make too many promises; deadlines are missed and we RAs dont get the help or guidance we need.

I was very disappointed when I clicked on this and realized it wasn't an opportunity for us to vent ABOUT research assistants we've had. There have only been a small handful that have been "fired" in the labs I've been in, but oh so many I would have liked to.....

So suffice it to say, lack of supervision is a problem that works both ways - many PIs (or grad students or heck, even BA level project coordinators) struggle to get their own work done because of the sheer volume of supervision that some RAs require to not completely muck everything up beyond repair. I think its a bigger problem in the large labs I've worked in, just because more RAs are needed and it is hard to find good ones.