RA Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LM02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just saw this posted on the ABCT listserv, and thought I'd repost as a public service announcement! ;)

We have a position open for a highly motivated individual to work as a
Research Assistant in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at
Brown University. This individual will work closely with the PI on studies
of psychosocial treatment development for depression and suicide risk in
bipolar disorder.

Position responsibilities include a number of clinical research duties
including: study recruitment, participant screening, diagnostic
interviewing, liaison with mental health clinical recruitment sites, data
management, miscellaneous administrative tasks, and assistance with
reporting to funding sources and IRBs. The ideal candidate will have a
bachelor's degree in psychology, relevant research experience, and strong
organizational skills. Given the nature of the research being conducted, we
are seeking someone who is outgoing and sensitive to the needs of
individuals with severe mental illness, who works well independently, and
who has a strong work ethic.

Although this position requires a 30 hour/week commitment, it carries with
it full Brown University benefits. There is also the possibility of
supplementing the position with additional research responsibilities on
separate NIH-funded protocols.

Interested applicants are encouraged to read more about the details of the
position on the Brown University website, where they may also submit their
application. The job number is M02046.
https://careers.brown.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1208888510207

Members don't see this ad.

:love:Brown Psychiatry

Know plenty of folks who went through that department, for those looking for an RA position for next year (especially those interested in mood disorders research) this is probably one of the best places in the country to get that pre-grad-school RA job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I might as well post this RA opportunity here. While this is not my group, the MPRC has really great, nice people and state benefits! If you're interested in research on schizophrenia and neuroscience, then this is for you. There are more RA positions at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (with my group) that will be accepting applications soon. I'll post those when they come. Let me know if you have questions.
Job Title: Research Assistant, Clinical #2067 - MPRC Job Number: 0002067
spacer.gif
Department: MPRC Outpatient Compensation Plan: Regular full time with benefits
spacer.gif
Job Description: The Maryland Psychiatric Research Center (MPRC) in Catonsville has an opportunity for a Research Assistant Clinical. The selected candidate is involved in the clinical aspects of the research program, assists in the coordination of day-to day operations of one or more research protocols including recruitment, scheduling, and monitoring research activities for protocols. The successful candidate assists in the administration and scoring of research testing assessments.

Essential functions include:

• Performs data collection by conducting cognitive testing and research interviews in patients with schizophrenia and healthy controls. Assists in recruitment and screens subjects for research studies. Will collect data from subjects, obtaining consent and enrollment; assuring accurate demographic information for follow-up. Checks validity and accuracy of data ensuring with quality control requirements.
• Establishes and maintains database files and reports on progress of programs, studies, and/or projects. May perform data analysis and interpretation.
• May perform administrative duties such as: assisting in developing and submitting grants, papers, abstracts, manuscripts and presenting studies, developing protocol manuals and data collection instruments; May respond to requests and questions from individuals, institutions, government agencies, and funding agencies, and participating in the design of research studies.

Minimum Qualifications:

Requires Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Sociology, or other social science field. Prior psychology research experience is preferred. Prior clinical research experience would be considered an asset. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.

Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:

• Basic understanding and knowledge of scientific/medical terminology and research.
• Skill in statistical interpretation and data analysis using Excel, Access, SPSS, or Eprime as well as other word processing, spreadsheet and database management software applications.
• Detail oriented person who understands the importance accountability in research.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Excellent communication skills in order to interview research volunteers to determine study eligibility, to interact with staff from various programs and institutions, and to conduct experimental sessions.
• Ability to independently perform or lead research activities.
• Ability to participate in the design of research studies and preparation of technical procedures and reports.

Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience

Filing Deadline:</B> 6/4/08
Original Posting Date:</B> 5/21/08

If accommodations are needed, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.

https://apply.unicru.com/umaryland/...ea13a9e-8faa-4c8d-82ae-9d343737e66e}&Page=Job

this position at U. of Maryland sounds pretty interesting, is there someone who I can email my cover letter and resume to?

Thanks for the posting!

I have been applying to these type of positions since January and still don't have any job offers so I am applying to anything and everything I can find that sounds interesting.

SanjuPsych--

You can follow the link at the bottom (I think it should ask you to sign up for an account with UMB's job search website) and then go from there. When I was looking for jobs, I was contacted by Dr. Jim Gold ([email protected]), but I believe that was because my mentor had forwarded my CV to various people in his network and might have gotten in touch with Dr. Gold directly. You could try that too, though.

Also, just fyi, my lab within the Dept. of Psychiatry at UMB will be hiring about 3 people this summer to replace those who are moving onto grad school (myself included). It's a great lab and I can't say enough positive things about my experiences over the past two years. We work directly with patients with serious mental illness at various community clinics in Baltimore to perform our research--so if you don't have any experiences working with individuals with SMI then I'd def. look into taking a volunteer position at a community mental health center to boost your clinical experience. Research experience, preferably with an emphasis on SMI populations, is a must. Those RA positions should be posted on the UMB school of med. employment page very soon, as I put in my letter of resignation a few weeks ago.

The job search process can take a while, in part because HR stuff often takes a while to process...so don't get discouraged! You're doing exactly what you should be doing. Are you interested in serious mental illness?

Just wanted to thank you both for posting the openings! I'm also applying like crazy for research positions, so this was helpful!