race/ethnicity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I am asking this question for someone else but when filling out the AMCAS, under race and ethnicity what would you write if you are Arab (Lebanese)? Obviously you would write "not Hispanic" but for the "white, native hawaii/pacific, black, asian, or american indian/alaskan" part what would you write?

Members don't see this ad.

kristy117 said:
So I am asking this question for someone else but when filling out the AMCAS, under race and ethnicity what would you write if you are Arab (Lebanese)? Obviously you would write "not Hispanic" but for the "white, native hawaii/pacific, black, asian, or american indian/alaskan" part what would you write?

Which category best describes you?

its not me..my boyfriend basically considers himself white but he is unsure if his ethnicity will affect his admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If he considers himself white, then white it is!

kristy117 said:
its not me..my boyfriend basically considers himself white but he is unsure if his ethnicity will affect his admissions.

Well, in 2004, 11,015 non-Hispanic white males applied to med school and 5,476 matriculated (49.7%).

In the same year, only 45.2% of the applicants who weren't "white guys" got into med school. (11,172 of 24,720).

It will affect his admission -- in a good way.

LizzyM said:
Well, in 2004, 11,015 non-Hispanic white males applied to med school and 5,476 matriculated (49.7%).

In the same year, only 45.2% of the applicants who weren't "white guys" got into med school. (11,172 of 24,720).

I like the way you look at the #'s.

His race is white as white refers to people having origins of europe, middle east, or north africa

cdngirl80 said:
His race is white as white refers to people having origins of europe, middle east, or north africa

Being "white" or any color is far more complex than your origin, skin color, etc... It's possible, for example, for someone to be from east asia and identify as white.

LizzyM said:

Haha good point. Although you'd really have to look at the average GPA/MCAT of both pools to make a valid comparison. For instance, if the pool of "non-white guys" had an average MCAT of 12, it would be likely that it's not being white that helps :laugh:

Still, impressive use of stats.

LizzyM said:

you're joking, right?

You can use statistics to prove anything Kent, 42% of all people know that.

velo said:
You can use statistics to prove anything Kent, 42% of all people know that.

lol, actually it's 76.3 % :laugh: :laugh:

Will Ferrell said:
you're joking, right?

Maybe I'm putting a little bit of a positive spin on the situation for the sake of the OP & her boyfriend but the stats are absolutely real.

Frankly, discrimination on the basis of race and ethnicity are prohibited. That said, white guys, for whatever reasons, seem to have a better than average shot of getting admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
i also have a question about the AMCAS race/ethnicity deal. I'm a first generation mexican american, so obviously i'm gonna put that for my ethnicity. However, what the hell do i put for my race? i have really white skin, so should i put white? but i'm not white (i don't think). any ideas?

Pancho Villa said:
i also have a question about the AMCAS race/ethnicity deal. I'm a first generation mexican american, so obviously i'm gonna put that for my ethnicity. However, what the hell do i put for my race? i have really white skin, so should i put white? but i'm not white (i don't think). any ideas?

Hi there,
Race does not equal ethnicity though many people in the United States are hung up on this. My ethnicity is British/American (born here but parents citizens of Great Britain) but my my race is black. There are essentially three races caucasoid, negroid and mongoloid. There are thousands of ethnicities.

njbmd :)

Pancho Villa said:

There are Hispanic-white, non-Hispanic white, Hispanic-black, and Black (somehow the US gov't doesn't feel the need to add non-Hispanic as a modifier to "Black").

Ethnically you are Hispanic (and under that the subset Mexican/Chicano), and for race you check white because Black, Asian, Native American or Native Hawaiian sure don't fit.

The Hispanic-black cover folk like Sammy Sosa and other black skinned people with roots in Central America, Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc.

Arabs are not Caucasian but unless he types in 'Arab', then his closest choice is white, non-hispanic.

LizzyM said:
There are Hispanic-white, non-Hispanic white, Hispanic-black, and Black (somehow the US gov't doesn't feel the need to add non-Hispanic as a modifier to "Black").

Ethnically you are Hispanic (and under that the subset Mexican/Chicano), and for race you check white because Black, Asian, Native American or Native Hawaiian sure don't fit.

The Hispanic-black cover folk like Sammy Sosa and other black skinned people with roots in Central America, Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc.

thanks for the info.

oh and panda bear, what the hell are you talking about?

Pancho Villa said:
thanks for the info.

oh and panda bear, what the hell are you talking about?

That creaking noise....you know....as the whole crazy structure of the race beauracracy starts to collapse under the weight of its own absurdity.

Panda Bear said:
That creaking noise....you know....as the whole crazy structure of the race beauracracy starts to collapse under the weight of its own absurdity.

Both the 1/32th of me who's native-american and the 1/128th of me that's hawaiian/pacific islander thinks that's very offensive P-Bear

The other 96.09372% of me agrees that the whole thing might be kind of silly...

Panda Bear said:

No, Panda. That's just the sound my sisters cat makes when she's 'hunting' the birds outside. Sorry.

LizzyM said:

hmm.. interesting. mexican americans dont seem white to me

whattodowithmys said:
hmm.. interesting. mexican americans dont seem white to me

Mexicans are half-white. A Mexican is technically half-Amerindian and half Spaniard (aka white).

McGillGrad said:
Mexicans are half-white. A Mexican is technically half-Amerindian and half Spaniard (aka white).
actually, what you've defined is Mestizo, which is not necesarrily a 50/50 mix.

Thundrstorm said:
actually, what you've defined is Mestizo, which is not necesarrily a 50/50 mix.

And it is not white. If you would take a look at teh CIA factbook on Mexico you will see the breakdown is...

Ethnic groups: mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, white 9%, other 1%

McGillGrad said:
And it is not white. If you would take a look at teh CIA factbook on Mexico you will see the breakdown is...

Ethnic groups: mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, white 9%, other 1%
I didn't say Mestizo was white... and I'm aware that it's a 60% majority, but Mestizo =/= Mexican.

Thundrstorm said:
I didn't say Mestizo was white... and I'm aware that it's a 60% majority, but Mestizo =/= Mexican.

60% is the majority. There is no country with 100% one ethnicity. That is why we have to talk about majorities.

McGillGrad said:
60% is the majority. There is no country with 100% one ethnicity. That is why we have to talk about majorities.
Oh, okay, so Americans are white then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hispanic is an ethnicity. It is coupled with a race (in the U.S. it is usually black or white). The US Census blessed us with this categorization, so please don't shoot the messenger.

A first generation Mexican-American who self-identifies as "white" with regard to skin color is Hispanic-White (unlike the large proportion of non-Hispanic White) . This is not "nationality". It's a pain, it shouldn't matter, but it does -- and figuring out your "category" is not rocket science.

Thundrstorm said:
Oh, okay, so Americans are white then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, most Americans are white. Just like most Canadians are white. Just like most Japanese are Japanese.

McGillGrad said:
Yes, most Americans are white. Just like most Canadians are white. Just like most Japanese are Japanese.
Are you being purposefully obtuse? Yes, most Americans are white, but don't you agree that it would be a silly assumption to say that all Americans are white? Likewise, it is a silly assumption to say that all Mexicans are Mestizo. 40% is hardly an insignificant minority.

Thundrstorm said:
Are you being purposefully obtuse? Yes, most Americans are white, but don't you agree that it would be a silly assumption to say that all Americans are white? Likewise, it is a silly assumption to say that all Mexicans are Mestizo. 40% is hardly an insignificant minority.

You are trying to erect a strawman, when you know that we are talking about what is considered 'white.'

The other 30% of Mexicans that are not part of the majority are Amerindian, thus absolutely irrelevant to this discussion.

Either stick to a topic or stop being annoying.

McGillGrad said:
You are trying to erect a strawman, when you know that we are talking about what is considered 'white.'

The other 30% of Mexicans that are not part of the majority are Amerindian, thus absolutely irrelevant to this discussion.

Either stick to a topic or stop being annoying.
Ok, actually, that's exactly what you seem to be doing. You made an erroneous statement ("Mexicans are half-white. A Mexican is technically half-Amerindian and half Spaniard"), so I corrected you. That seems pretty simple and on topic to me.

kristy117 said:

You guys are complicating this more than what's necessary.

Lebanon is in Asia. Therefore, mark Asian.

Thundrstorm said:
Ok, actually, that's exactly what you seem to be doing. You made an erroneous statement ("Mexicans are half-white. A Mexican is technically half-Amerindian and half Spaniard"), so I corrected you. That seems pretty simple and on topic to me.

It was not erroneous. It was absolutely correct. A Mexican is half Amerindian and half Spaniard. That is what makes a Mexican and Mexican. Otherwise, they are Mayan or Aztec or Spaniard.

Class dismissed.

socal1015 said:
You guys are complicating this more than what's necessary.

Lebanon is in Asia. Therefore, mark Asian.

LOL...:)

There are still some Lebanese that claim to be Phoenician.

Avalanche21 said:
cdngirl80 said:
Being "white" or any color is far more complex than your origin, skin color, etc... It's possible, for example, for someone to be from east asia and identify as white.

Actually cdngirl is right, as far as the US gvmt is concerned. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(United_States_Census)
Wikipedia will have to do for now, but I've seen official sites as well that say the same thing. People of Arab decent are officially white, but socially (what avalanche is talking about, since race is essentially a social construction), I would say most people consider Arabs to be non-White. These days especially, Arabs are discriminated against in many ways, so our government's unwillingness to track Arabs as a separate category is unfortunate.

McGillGrad said:
It was not erroneous. It was absolutely correct. A Mexican is half Amerindian and half Spaniard. That is what makes a Mexican and Mexican. Otherwise, they are Mayan or Aztec or Spaniard.

Class dismissed.
A Mexican is a citizen of Mexico. If you replace Mexican with Mestizo, your statement would be more accurate. A Mestizo is Amerindian-Spanish, and in the case of 60% of Mexicans, that is the proper ethnic classification.

Thundrstorm said:
A Mexican is a citizen of Mexico. If you replace Mexican with Mestizo, your statement would be more accurate. A Mestizo is Amerindian-Spanish, and in the case of 60% of Mexicans, that is the proper ethnic classification.

You are talking about nationality when everyone else is talking about ethnicity and race.

Way to go.

McGillGrad said:
You are talking about nationality when everyone else is talking about ethnicity and race.

Way to go.
You are mistakenly treating "Mexican" as an ethnicity or race. I understand what everyone is talking about. But it is not helpful to simply say that all Mexicans are X or Y race without really knowing their ethnic heritage. There is no simple answer to "What race on AMCAS is a Mexican person?" That's not enough information to answer the question.

So, are Mexicans white? Yes, some are. Some are atleast partially white (and I believe they would check White/Hispanic on forms). Some are not white.

Thundrstorm said:
You are mistakenly treating "Mexican" as an ethnicity or race. I understand what everyone is talking about. But it is not helpful to simply say that all Mexicans are X or Y race without really knowing their ethnic heritage. There is no simple answer to "What race on AMCAS is a Mexican person?" That's not enough information to answer the question.

So, are Mexicans white? Yes, some are. Some are atleast partially white (and I believe they would check White/Hispanic on forms). Some are not white.

OMG shut the hell up for sanity's sake! I have never seen such redundant quibbling! (well, exluding SDN, that is). Why don't we just argue something more constructive, such as the color of the sky?

Just take a time-out, go make a turkey burger, take a dump, and do some homework. If you still feel confused about Mestivos, Mexicans, Cubans, and Eskimos, then repost. If not, lets all do a group hug and say, for argument sake, that we are all part of the Human race (well, unless any dwarves, elves, or goblins are on SDN).

Sanctuary said:
such as the color of the sky?

Blue....no, grey. Actually kinda white.....now black...with little sparkly things...crap it keeps changing what box do I check?!?!

Thundrstorm said:

Let me make it simple so you can understand it.

If they are not a mix of Spaniard and Amerinidian then they will check off the American Indian box, so there is no point in talking about them. They fit into that categoty. That leaves 9% white (aka Spaniard) and the mixed 60%.

I hope that wasn't to difficult to understand.

Panda Bear said:
There is is again. Tell me you heard it?

are you crazy
because i have no idea what the hell you're hearing :confused:

Panda Bear said:

oh! good one :D

Sanctuary said:
OMG shut the hell up for sanity's sake! I have never seen such redundant quibbling! (well, exluding SDN, that is). Why don't we just argue something more constructive, such as the color of the sky?

Just take a time-out, go make a turkey burger, take a dump, and do some homework. If you still feel confused about Mestivos, Mexicans, Cubans, and Eskimos, then repost. If not, lets all do a group hug and say, for argument sake, that we are all part of the Human race (well, unless any dwarves, elves, or goblins are on SDN).

well said :thumbup:

McGillGrad said:
Let me make it simple so you can understand it.

If they are not a mix of Spaniard and Amerinidian then they will check off the American Indian box, so there is no point in talking about them. They fit into that categoty. That leaves 9% white (aka Spaniard) and the mixed 60%.

I hope that wasn't to difficult to understand.
There's no need to be rude. I'm not having difficulty understanding. I completely understand what American Indians would check, and what whites would check. I'm not disagreeing with you there. I just get annoyed with people who act like know-it-alls when in fact they are spreading misinformation (with statements like "That's what makes a Mexican a Mexican"). It really isn't that big of a deal, so let's just let it die, shall we?