rad onc market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U
UPDATE: I just couldn’t believe that an NP was delivering radiation and being marketed as a radonc, so I looked into the center online.

The main website of cancer care at the hospital talks about a doctor who is indeed an MD: https://www.enloe.org/services-and-treatments/cancer-care/radiation-oncology/radiation-oncology

I think someone in marketing got a little too enthusiastic, which as we all know happens more often than not. I will sheath the pitchfork and retreat back to my misanthropic corner.
Up to now the only thing I knew about Chico CA was that Sierra Nevada brewery was located there

s-l300.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I just stumbled on this post from Urology forum from last year (2020)...

PS: Anyone here is a guru on anti-Stark law?
Can Urology still owns linacs and employ radonc?
Can medoncs own linacs and employ radonc?

I just stumbled on this post from Urology forum from last year (2020)...

PS: Anyone here is a guru on anti-Stark law?
Still kosher as long as everyone in the group billing under the same tax id. It fails under the in office exemption

Members don't see this ad :)
With a few state-specific exceptions, and linear accelerators are usually not one (CONs are a different thing), any physician can own medical equipment. And any physician can employ any other physician, or go into partnership practice with any other physician. Cardiologists could hire internists, psychiatrists could hire neurosurgeons, etc. A rad onc can own a fiberoptic laryngoscope, or a bovie. Family medicine physicians can own X-ray equipment. ENTs own cone beam CT scanners. Orthopedists own MRI units. Endocrinologists can be authorized users for radiopharmaceuticals in the eyes of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Neurosurgeons own ZAP-X's. Varian is working on cardiac radioablation devices which will be specifically targeted for sale to cardiologists (it could be a MUCH more massive market for them than the piddling cancer radiation market); they will be glorified Cyberknifes from what I understand. I work for a med onc who owns about 8 rad onc centers.

I even heard about a place down in Lousiana where the NPs own the HDR machine!

Let that sink in

I do not believe that
Hearsay, rumors or gossip on an anonymous forum from a new-ish member who tries to argue with everyone … you don’t say?

However, I believe him. Why can’t NPs own equipment? Those are far lower capital costs and there isn’t any rules about it, as far as I know.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hearsay, rumors or gossip on an anonymous forum from a new-ish member who tries to argue with everyone … you don’t say?

However, I believe him. Why can’t NPs own equipment? Those are far lower capital costs and there isn’t any rules about it, as far as I know.
Its not a bad model for the finances. Plus... Stark law does not apply to non-physician providers so they can refer all day long.