Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many people are saying “the chinese” are involved!

Members don't see this ad.

When the need arises for the field to consider expanding spectrum, being more involved with inpatient things, taking more ownership of medical issues, thinking outside box to start systemic therapy training, these are the same people who see no need for this because they value lifestyle over being oncologists
[citation needed]

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What does diversity have to do with the issue of oversupply? Please enlighten me!

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
It doesn’t lol. It’s a distraction from the underlying issue...Welcome to the US.
I just thought mudits take on the ASTRO statement was amusing. He called it powerful when it reality the intensity was closer to a wet noodle. But at least they're finally opening their eyes almost a decade later

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I just thought mudits take on the ASTRO statement was amusing. He called it powerful when it reality the intensity was closer to a wet noodle. But at least they're finally opening their eyes almost a decade later
I mean, it's "powerful" in that the ASTRO president openly acknowledged the issue on an official platform when just a few years ago ASTRO was having panel presentations with lawyers whining about how doing this would "get them in trouble with the government".

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is now.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
What does diversity have to do with the issue of oversupply? Please enlighten me!

Diversity is a two way street. If underrepresented minorities and groups are going to achieve appropriate representation in the Nirvana of Radiation Oncology, then they should also receive the same portion of the pain.

In the immortal words of Terry Tate Office Linebacker: "Cause when it's game time, it's pain time!"

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

They resent it but certainly are not above it. We SOAPed a published derm reject, who literally her only qualificaton for Rad Onc was that she needed to be close to her boyfriend. In 2012 would have been laughed out, today in 2021 right this way

• Haha
They resent it but certainly are not above it. We SOAPed a published derm reject, who literally her only qualificaton for Rad Onc was that she needed to be close to her boyfriend. In 2012 would have been laughed out, today in 2021 right this way
What is the attrition rate going to be for these SOAPed residents who only went into RadOnc as a secondary choice? Stick with it the whole way or just find a spot into Derm/Plastics/ENT/Ortho once one opens up?

Rad Onc is not a "conceptual" specialty; its arguably the most "detail-specific" field of medicine I can think of. The knowledge gap in terms of learning all of the Physics and trials in residency is intense and, unless you go to a program where education is a super high priority, pretty much done all on your own. It's easy for a program to SOAP in a warm body with no Rad Onc experience or interest to do the day-to-day grind of note writing and contouring, but does anyone actually consider how that resident will approach any other aspect of their actual learning?

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the attrition rate going to be for these SOAPed residents who only went into RadOnc as a secondary choice? Stick with it the whole way or just find a spot into Derm/Plastics/ENT/Ortho once one opens up?

Rad Onc is not a "conceptual" specialty; its arguably the most "detail-specific" field of medicine I can think of. The knowledge gap in terms of learning all of the Physics and trials in residency is intense and, unless you go to a program where education is a super high priority, pretty much done all on your own. It's easy for a program to SOAP in a warm body with no Rad Onc experience or interest to do the day-to-day grind of note writing and contouring, but does anyone actually consider how that resident will approach any other aspect of their actual learning?
Would matching/soaping a bunch of people with no interest in learning enough radonc to pass boards be bad for the field in the long run?

1610321935796.png

Anyone see this gem?

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users
I interviewed at his program the first year they took residents (that's North Shore/LIJ or Norwell Health now, in suburban Long Island). This guy couldn't have been more disinterested when I was interviewing with him one on one. Like full on leaning back in his chair looking at the ceiling. I still remeber it as one of my most awkward interviews while on the trail. He did go on a full 15 minute anti urorads rant though. Not being able to match lets say circa 2008 to 2018 you could find quality rad onc focused applicants in the soap. Even some MD/Phds. If you can't figure out how to match in this environment at a place like that well that says something about the applicant and even the program itself. Nice to see he's figured out how to virtue signal on Twitter now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
After that op-ed in the red journal is anyone surprised?

Trash program and chair
What an ass...I met him when I interviewed for jobs. Just an another RO blowhard who isn’t even look up from his screen the entire interview. Guy takes in 1.7M a year. Him and his program can go jump off the GW bridge

• Haha
Agree,

The LIJ chair is a ___. Just about himself and how great he is (he is not great).
People on SCAROP know that.

Data from Aug. 2017...Crains New York...

Attachments

• Salary.png
    Salary.png
    345 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
  • Wow
Agree,

The LIJ chair is a m0r0n. Just about himself and how great he is (he is not great).

How can you have a 1.7 million dollar salary in a large hospital and not have a residency program?

He is taking one less in the match this year, likely because he knows he has a better chance of matching 1 rather than matching 2.

Agree,

The LIJ chair is a m0r0n. Just about himself and how great he is (he is not great).

LIJ is an extremely rich hospital, well-known for throwing cash at things. Even residents at LIJ make way more than other comparable programs in the NYC area. I'm not surprised that a very rich hospital that can pay residents above and beyond what other comparable programs do are capable of overpaying their chairmen.

No non-anonymous person pushed back on his comment. Silence means the other program directors and chairs are complicit.

• Haha
Let's hope ASTRO hasn't been supporting traitors
Mixed feeling on this. As a tiny specialty, can it afford to be picky? Disclaimer: I don’t support Astro nor do I think that regulation and cms payments have much of an effect on job market vs massive oversupply of residents.

I would hope that ASTRO, in the future, will make campaign contributions to whichever congressmen and congresswomen would help to further the agenda of the organization and its members, as is its job.

Reactions: 3 users
I would hope that ASTRO, in the future, will make campaign contributions to whichever congressmen and congresswomen would help to further the agenda of the organization and its members, as is its job.
I can see where this could get dicey. Imagine if the med oncs pays that same congressmen more, do they then go back to the surgeons and ask them to increase their cut.

I’m just saying money can’t be the only influence, even though it is. At least disguise the bribe. No money should be going to overturning the election though.

Maybe Hahn should primary sedition Cruz missile and be the most pro rad onc senator ever. Or maybe he will go make millions somewhere. We’ll see what happens!

For what it's worth ASTRO does appear to be bipartisan in its efforts. All legislation that they have lobbied Congress to pass appears to have had Democrat and Republican co-sponsors.
Maybe that’s why nothing ever gets done! I’m kidding...kinda.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Maybe that’s why nothing ever gets done! I’m kidding...kinda.
Pricing transparency rules/mandates have been the lotus flower of what has otherwise been a cesspool swamp of the last 4 years. It concerns me that Dems never tried to hold hospitals and providers accountable like that

Pricing transparency rules/mandates have been the lotus flower of what has otherwise been a cesspool swamp of the last 4 years. It concerns me that Dems never tried to hold hospitals and providers accountable like that

>80M$ in 2020

That's your answer. The only politician pushing transparency was Trump

• Haha
For what it's worth ASTRO does appear to be bipartisan in its efforts. All legislation that they have lobbied Congress to pass appears to have had Democrat and Republican co-sponsors.
I think ASTRO stepping into this political mine field would be foolish at best. Oncology support that is bipartisan def. the way to go.

Reactions: 3 users

>80M$ in 2020

That's your answer. The only politician pushing transparency was Trump
Dems have always been in bed with big pharm, which is based in NY/NJ/PA/CA/MA. Hopefully the Biden Admin will support transparency, and increase the daily fines.

I can see where this could get dicey. Imagine if the med oncs pays that same congressmen more, do they then go back to the surgeons and ask them to increase their cut.

I’m just saying money can’t be the only influence, even though it is. At least disguise the bribe. No money should be going to overturning the election though.
This is already going on to some extent with Pharma lobbying vs everyone else in HC. Those with the bigger pockets will win

IMO both sides are bought by “big pharma”. The lobbying and donation system facilitates this.

At least his company will be delivering much better value in terms of radiation. “Choosing wisely” really should entail centers like Emory sending many of their cases to 21c and other community programs.
I wouldn’t really consider them a community program as much as I consider Five Guys a family owned burger shack. Those guys got some deep pockets!

• Haha
I wouldn’t really consider them a community program as much as I consider Five Guys a family owned burger shack. Those guys got some deep pockets!
Not sure how deep they are after all those double digit million settlements with CMS. They did have to sell themselves to the Aussies after all...

Five guys vs shake shack vs in out. Completely lost my train of thought. Help, where should I go.

Last edited: