Radiologist assistant or M.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pointystar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

First off, I'm a 15 year old attending the 10th grade and I kinda want to become a radiologist. I do know it has a **** load of schooling, 4 years college, 4 med school, 5 residency, and another 2 years of fellowship. All of those years are very hard work, especially residency.

Last year (9th grade) I took all regular classes (I know I messed up, just wanted to be with my friends. I now realize high school popularity doesn't count for **** in the real world) and this year I at least took AP history and Honors Geometry. I'm kinda wanting to step down the history and take Honors Chemistry. What classes and electives should I take for the next 2 years?

Another question is that can a Radiologist assistant become a full fledged radiologist later on? How much is the starting pay for Radiologist assistant?

Thanks again, I went here after Yahoo answers failed me.

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, I think this thread would best belong in the HSDN section (where all the other high school SDN students collaborate together).

On topic now:

You are correct in stating that "high school popularity" or "swag" as people call it nowadays, does not count for anything in the real world.

I would recommend you to keep challenging yourself with higher level honors and AP level courses for the next 2 years. Of course, it would be better if you took honors/AP science based courses as these will help you later on in college immensely. However, it's always good to keep things balanced by taking upper level history and English courses to become a well rounded student with sources of knowledge everywhere.

A radiologist's assistant is a completely different track then becoming a radiologist. I believe you need to go through a separate training program to become an RA. You could also become a full radiologist later even after become an RA, but would have to follow the same path of college, medical school, residency, etc.

Keep it up, you have a long ways to go. Enjoy yourself, but at the same time challenge yourself as much as possible.

Work just hard enough to make it to the next level. Much/most of what you learn in school for the next 10 years of your life will be worthless.

The important things aren't taught in school.

And you don't have to be a science major in college... You just have to take the prerequisite courses.

Chemistry, Biology, Organic chemistry, physics.. Which again are nearly entirely useless down the road...

Remember to have fun. Have a good social life.

If you choose this path, it'll mean 10 years of ... Memorize... Test... Never use... Forget. Repeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Work just hard enough to make it to the next level. Much/most of what you learn in school for the next 10 years of your life will be worthless.

The important things aren't taught in school.

And you don't have to be a science major in college... You just have to take the prerequisite courses.

Chemistry, Biology, Organic chemistry, physics.. Which again are nearly entirely useless down the road...

Remember to have fun. Have a good social life.

If you choose this path, it'll mean 10 years of ... Memorize... Test... Never use... Forget. Repeat.

This.

I also forgot to mention the literally staggering amount of debt you'll have unless your parents can foot the bill.

I'd be curious to see how many residents would walk away from medicine if their debt suddenly vanished.

I'd be one of them.... So take my posts with a grain of salt.

But only one grain. There is a lot of truth to what I've said. Although, I'd encourage you to continue to weigh multiple opinions.

Hey there,

First off, I'm a 15 year old attending the 10th grade and I kinda want to become a radiologist. I do know it has a **** load of schooling, 4 years college, 4 med school, 5 residency, and another 2 years of fellowship. All of those years are very hard work, especially residency.

Last year (9th grade) I took all regular classes (I know I messed up, just wanted to be with my friends. I now realize high school popularity doesn't count for **** in the real world) and this year I at least took AP history and Honors Geometry. I'm kinda wanting to step down the history and take Honors Chemistry. What classes and electives should I take for the next 2 years?

Another question is that can a Radiologist assistant become a full fledged radiologist later on? How much is the starting pay for Radiologist assistant?

Thanks again, I went here after Yahoo answers failed me.

Which salary survey have you looked at?

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking about going to community college for 2 years, then transferring to George mason university, so that way my degree will be under George Mason. Do med schools accept that kind of stuff? George mason is kinda expensive ($400 a credit, multiply by 120 and that's a big number).

Could you guys give me some tips on finding scholarships? I'm from Afghanistan, so I don't know if that automatically qualifies for scholarships.

Another question I have are which after-school/extra curricular activities I should do. For some reason my school has an art society but not a medical society. I did football last year, and this year, and am probably doing it until my senior year.

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking about going to community college for 2 years, then transferring to George mason university, so that way my degree will be under George Mason. Do med schools accept that kind of stuff? George mason is kinda expensive ($400 a credit, multiply by 120 and that's a big number).

Could you guys give me some tips on finding scholarships? I'm from Afghanistan, so I don't know if that automatically qualifies for scholarships.

Another question I have are which after-school/extra curricular activities I should do. For some reason my school has an art society but not a medical society. I did football last year, and this year, and am probably doing it until my senior year.

Yeah, This thread Should Be In The PreMed Forum.
Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.