radiologist supply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unoriginal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why are there more spots for radiology than derm or rad onc? is there really that larger of a demand? it seems that large rad programs may take 5-10 residents per year whereas large derm or rad onc programs may take 3. what gives?

Members don't see this ad.

Think about your time on the wards or even in clinic. How often is imaging utilized compared to Derm or Rad-Onc consults? Essentially every patient gets imaged and many are imaged multiple times. And don't forget the recommended mammogram timeline, they all need to be read by Radiologists. Medicine in the present day revolves around imaging and therefore it creates a constant need for Radiologists.

I know there is a constant need for Derm and Rad-Onc as well, it is just a smaller scale, hence fewer positons in the match. A program will usually have the appropriate amount of residents to give them optimal training, perhaps a Rad-Onc program with 10 residents/year would produce less apt graduates as they would be sharing too little work.

Just my opinion.

Think about your time on the wards or even in clinic. How often is imaging utilized compared to Derm or Rad-Onc consults? Essentially every patient gets imaged and many are imaged multiple times. And don't forget the recommended mammogram timeline, they all need to be read by Radiologists. Medicine in the present day revolves around imaging and therefore it creates a constant need for Radiologists.

I know there is a constant need for Derm and Rad-Onc as well, it is just a smaller scale, hence fewer positons in the match. A program will usually have the appropriate amount of residents to give them optimal training, perhaps a Rad-Onc program with 10 residents/year would produce less apt graduates as they would be sharing too little work.

Just my opinion.

Agree. I have never even consulted either Derm or Rad-onc so far in all or 3rd year, and have been scutted innumerable times to call the radiologist for a read. I think generally different specialties either limit their residency spots or expand them to try to even out supply and demand as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even with 1000 positions per year, the average salary of a rad is in league with the high paying specialties like ortho, derm, etc. That gives you an idea of how much in demand rads are.

In my town of 150k, we have about 20 radiologists and 2 radoncs. Everyone is busy, but there is numerically just not such a need for the specialty.

Even with 1000 positions per year, the average salary of a rad is in league with the high paying specialties like ortho, derm, etc. That gives you an idea of how much in demand rads are.

According to merrit and hawkins, for the last 5 years running, radiology has been one of the top 3 recruited specialties. The number one changes every year, rads is at least number 2 or 3. As the imaging gets better the clinicians just want more of it.

According to merrit and hawkins, for the last 5 years running, radiology has been one of the top 3 recruited specialties. The number one changes every year, rads is at least number 2 or 3. As the imaging gets better the clinicians just want more of it.

Or else the lawyers will sue you in an instant!

I can understand that it is difficult for Merrit Hawkins to recruit radiologists. They are so disorganized and their recruiters are so ill-informed that I can't imagine they place anyone.

I can understand that it is difficult for Merrit Hawkins to recruit radiologists. They are so disorganized and their recruiters are so ill-informed that I can't imagine they place anyone.

It seems like a lot of recruiters are. I hate the ones that send you a form letter, that addresses you as, 'Doctor' and nothing else. How much can a recruiter be looking out for your interests if they don't even bother to learn your name?

Here's the Subject of one e-mail I received from a recruiter:

"DR WE HAVE SEVERAL OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE STILL IF YOU ARE STILL AVAILABLE THANK YOU"

The body of the message contained nothing other than the recruiters contact information.

I've seen SPAM messages that are written better than this.
I wonder how long this guy will last as a recruiter?

why are there more spots for radiology than derm or rad onc? is there really that larger of a demand? it seems that large rad programs may take 5-10 residents per year whereas large derm or rad onc programs may take 3. what gives?

This is partially true, but this example also shows the brilliance and foresight of the American Board of Dermatology (or whatever it's called) to severely limit the amount of dermatologists produced every year.

By consciously limiting the number of [derm] residency spots to around 225/yr for many decades, it has allowed derm. to be the field sought by the "brightest" medical students, knowing that when they graduate, they will be able to command insane salaries and walk into a practice with a 3-4 month waiting list.

Believe me, the US could support 2X the number of dermatologists right now, but their mean salary would decrease appropriately.

But I digress.

This is partially true, but this example also shows the brilliance and foresight of the American Board of Dermatology (or whatever it's called) to severely limit the amount of dermatologists produced every year.

By consciously limiting the number of [derm] residency spots to around 225/yr for many decades, it has allowed derm. to be the field sought by the "brightest" medical students, knowing that when they graduate, they will be able to command insane salaries and walk into a practice with a 3-4 month waiting list.

Believe me, the US could support 2X the number of dermatologists right now, but their mean salary would decrease appropriately.

But I digress.
I dont know about that. Alot of primary care physicians esp FP believe they can handle most of the common dermatologic problems. I mean it really doesnt take a dermatologist to treat acne or warts. More and more of their "turf" is being fought over.
But dermatologists do make a lot of money, not from health care per se, but from various endorsements, spas, cosmetics , and etc. in my opinion. But i think those that dont do these do not have the high salaries that you speak of. Perhaps there is a more senior member who can answer these speculations. :thumbup:

But dermatologists do make a lot of money, not from health care per se, but from various endorsements, spas, cosmetics , and etc. in my opinion. But i think those that dont do these do not have the high salaries that you speak of. Perhaps there is a more senior member who can answer these speculations. :thumbup:

Derm makes the same kind of money from the practice of medicine as any other specialty that has many cheap and cheerful procedures. So the derms that actually practice medicine make 'ok good' money but nothing off the wall.

The derms that rake in the dough either got into the cosmetic botox thing on the ground floor, or they ***** themselves out through peddling of products and the sale of cosmetomedical services like hair-removal or tatooed makeup.

Call a dermatologist in your area, and you'll see what I mean. Dermatology has wisely (from a business standpoint) limited the number of dermatologists turned out. That was the crux of my point.

I dont know about that. Alot of primary care physicians esp FP believe they can handle most of the common dermatologic problems. I mean it really doesnt take a dermatologist to treat acne or warts. More and more of their "turf" is being fought over.

I wonder what would happen if FP residency programs begin to integrate a derm curriculum to their residency?

FPs see ALL patients.

I don't see why they can't be trained in the diagnosis and management of common dermatological conditions seen in outpatient practice. 3-4 months waitlist is insane. Business>>>>>patient care. I met a patient who told me there were no derms in his town!

3-4 months waitlist is insane. Business>>>>>patient care. I met a patient who told me there were no derms in his town!

There would be no shortage of derm FTEs if the people trained in that specialty spent their time treating patients instead of prettying up cash-paying customers.