Radiology 2012 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im a carib img, i feel as though i know at least 20 people personally from my school applying this year...

Anyone know if apps are up or down this year? I hear they are down at cleveland clinic, but the caliber of applicants is higher, anyone hear anything from other places/

Members don't see this ad.

Good to know there's more of us! I have 1 invite so far and 1 TY, hoping to hear from a few more. Waiting sucks, especially when my classmates applying to OB, Peds and IM all have 5-6 IVs already...

I'm right there with you man. I would feel a lot less nervous if I had one invite. Makes me wonder if there's some glaring hole in my app that I somehow missed

I was in the same boat until UMich came in today. Big lift with that one, for sure. I was a little worried after not hearing from New Mexico earlier this week, but there must not be any major flags if UM was willing to offer in their first batch (or at least, in the first batch that made it to AM/SDN). I wouldn't be too surprised to wait a couple weeks for another rads IV, though. 5 of my programs haven't even downloaded my app yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat until UMich came in today. Big lift with that one, for sure. I was a little worried after not hearing from New Mexico earlier this week, but there must not be any major flags if UM was willing to offer in their first batch (or at least, in the first batch that made it to AM/SDN). I wouldn't be too surprised to wait a couple weeks for another rads IV, though. 5 of my programs haven't even downloaded my app yet.

There are people on SDN who posted in previous threads and who I know in real life who got a ton of interviews at cali/nyc/boston programs, hopkins, duke, MIR, etc... but for some reason Mayo, Michigan, CCF are more regionally selective. Know someone who matched UCSF and got all the top interviews but struck out completely in the midwest (CCF, Mayo, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago) with the exception of MIR. Other examples can be found in the Radiology 2011 applicants SDN thread. If you look at the UM class profile like 3/4 come from Michigan or Wayne State and many have ties. Thus, I think there may be an element of programs feeling like you might not come there if you're from a top med school on the east or west coast and have the raw numbers/ application elements or otherwise a top applicant with no direct ties. Dr. TLM on AuntMinnie has alluded to this before though I cannot confirm if it is a major factor, but it seems the only potential explanation for why some applicants get some of the most competitive interviews but then are denied in Cleveland, Rochester, +/- Ann Arbor other than iterative randomness.

I would be interested in Michigan for personal reasons though I have no direct ties, which makes this unfortunate in my case, regardless of all my rationalization.

Last edited:
There are people on SDN who posted in previous threads and who I know in real life who got a ton of interviews at cali/nyc/boston programs, hopkins, duke, MIR, etc... but for some reason Mayo, Michigan, CCF are more regionally selective. Know someone who matched UCSF and got all the top interviews but struck out completely in the midwest (CCF, Mayo, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago) with the exception of MIR. Other examples can be found in the Radiology 2011 applicants SDN thread. If you look at the UM class profile like 3/4 come from Michigan or Wayne State and many have ties. Thus, I think there may be an element of programs feeling like you might not come there if you're from a top med school on the east or west coast and have the raw numbers/ application elements or otherwise a top applicant with no direct ties. Dr. TLM on AuntMinnie has alluded to this before though I cannot confirm if it is a major factor, but it seems the only potential explanation for why some applicants get some of the most competitive interviews but then are denied in Cleveland, Rochester, +/- Ann Arbor other than iterative randomness.

I would be interested in Michigan for personal reasons though I have no direct ties, which makes this unfortunate in my case, regardless of all my rationalization.

Both my parents went to Michigan at some point in their schooling and I still have some fam in Detroit. Is this something that should be mentioned to the PC? If so when should I send this email?

Both my parents went to Michigan at some point in their schooling and I still have some fam in Detroit. Is this something that should be mentioned to the PC? If so when should I send this email?

From the couple of threads I looked at, they said it could help but only if it was truly on your "short list" and you waited -- sending such an e-mail as early as September would probably be perceived as overly neurotic, rightly so. The other issue that was raised is that you're putting in writing that Michigan / whatever is on your short list, which you don't want to do if you're actually interested in Cali or whatever (people talk). The person in the 2011 SDN thread decided against it (RisingSun I think, you can google it)

This is true, but I don't think the regional preference thing is exclusive to the midwest. For example, I just got an email from a PD asking why I applied there (I thought it was fairly obvious, because I want to be a radiologist? lol). I remember when I was looking programs up, you could see from class profiles that there was some indication of 'regional preference' found throughout many programs on both coasts. When I looked at UAB's program, it was mostly people from down south, the harvards were filled by many eastsiders, etc.

It could be that these places aren't showing preference at all, and that more people who live nearby apply, and happen to rank the nearby programs higher. Or, it could be that there is some regional bias. I tend to think it's more the latter, but I guess as this app season plays out, we'll see for ourselves.

Unless the four people I've talked to directly or corresponded with via e-mail or PM have just happened to get rejected at Mayo/Michigan +/- CCF and a few others but amazingly got 90%+ of the top East and West coast interviews, there is definitely tremendous midwest regional bias, at least against applicants who they think won't end up there. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but there appears to be a clear pattern.

So this was kinda weird.. I went into my student records office this morning to you know, give a friendly check up on things. Nothing's been uploaded yet, and I asked her if she was overwhelmed and needed help, I'd gladly start by uploading all my stuff. I said it totally jokingly and smiling and she laughed and said no no, it's always this bad but everyone's would be up hopefully by the end of next week.

I just went on ERAS to check something... all my letters and my transcript are uploaded... wow. lol.

Unless the four people I've talked to directly or corresponded with via e-mail or PM have just happened to get rejected at Mayo/Michigan +/- CCF and a few others but amazingly got 90%+ of the top East and West coast interviews, there is definitely tremendous midwest regional bias, at least against applicants who they think won't end up there. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but there appears to be a clear pattern.

I don't think you're rationalizing. Dr. TLM admitted as much on AM.

If I was the PD of a midwest program I would be wary of top coastal applicants as well. It's logical for them to assume that someone born and raised in Cali and going to UCSF for med school who is 270/AOA/multiple pubs really isn't interested in moving to the Midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you're rationalizing. Dr. TLM admitted as much on AM.

If I was the PD of a midwest program I would be wary of top coastal applicants as well. It's logical for them to assume that someone born and raised in Cali and going to UCSF for med school who is 270/AOA/multiple pubs really isn't interested in moving to the Midwest.

There's too many factors to really know. Regional bias? Maybe. Person reading app just happened to not like a certain aspect of application? Maybe. Looking for a different type of applicant than you? Maybe. Just gotta move on.

here to join the party now - just realized a place I applied to gave invites out. checked my trusty inbox...and it's empty :oops:

does that past invite thread show the first time that places started sending invites out, or the only time places sent invites out? In other words, do I hang on to hope that they may send another wave of invites or just brace myself now for the rejection letter that's soon to come :laugh:
Wondering that too and I'll speculate a little bit here. I think fewer people would post when they got their invite if the school had already been added to the AM list since most are concerned only about when the first invites go out.

OTOH, I've heard through the grapevine that UT-K was full until January so that might have been the overwhelming majority of their invites.

here to join the party now - just realized a place I applied to gave invites out. checked my trusty inbox...and it's empty :oops:

does that past invite thread show the first time that places started sending invites out, or the only time places sent invites out? In other words, do I hang on to hope that they may send another wave of invites or just brace myself now for the rejection letter that's soon to come :laugh:

The thread from last year shows that there are many programs who have multiple waves of invites including programs like Michigan and UVA who have started to give out invites

The thread from last year shows that there are many programs who have multiple waves of invites including programs like Michigan and UVA who have started to give out invites

I got UVA, as did someone on AuntMinnie. There are multiple waves.

I promised myself I wouldn't worry about interviews until a week or so after my dean's letter goes out.. This thread isn't making that easy ahha.

I promised myself I wouldn't worry about interviews until a week or so after my dean's letter goes out.. This thread isn't making that easy ahha.

It's going to be fine. Let me repeat: It's going to be fine. I think it takes getting that first interview to make you realize that there is no horrendous red flag on your application and things will work out, since I went from very anxious to completely calm. There are tremendous factors out of our control: regional bias, readers who may spend <5 min skimming our application and have their own personal biases or agendas, the order in which our applications are read off the stack, god knows what else. But based on the information everyone has provided there is literally no reason that any of us will not receive several interviews, probably more than we can afford to schedule and attend. It's kind of a drought for the next few weeks based on whatever 2012mdc posted but in early October it's going to pick up fast, then the floodgates in November.

:luck::luck::luck: to all

It's going to be fine. Let me repeat: It's going to be fine. I think it takes getting that first interview to make you realize that there is no horrendous red flag on your application and things will work out, since I went from very anxious to completely calm. There are tremendous factors out of our control: regional bias, readers who may spend <5 min skimming our application and have their own personal biases or agendas, the order in which our applications are read off the stack, god knows what else. But based on the information everyone has provided there is literally no reason that any of us will not receive several interviews, probably more than we can afford to schedule and attend. It's kind of a drought for the next few weeks based on whatever 2012mdc posted but in early October it's going to pick up fast, then the floodgates in November.

:luck::luck::luck: to all

I keep telling myself that but I won't truly believe it until I get that first invite

Yeah I thought I had all my bases covered: strong USMLE scores, clinical honors, research with pubs and LORs but still no interviews:( Having one rads interview would give me a confidence boost.

Finally, a SDN thread that makes me feel good.... step score >30 less than most of you and I have 2 interviews :D.

And before you get any ideas I am a white middle class male

Got my first interview :) Trying to figure out when to schedule it! Does anyone know if it matters "when" the interview is. I can go Nov, Dec, or Jan. If i go in nov i have to leave my audition rotation which won't be good I think. I think I'd rather chose soonest available in Dec, unless theres some advantage to interviewing late.

congrats!

so, inquiring minds want to know, where? :D
(pm also if you dont want to post publicly)

why arent people posting where they got an interview?? I will gladly say, I have had one interview offer, and it was from New Mexico. Please post where you were offered too!

Guys, I remember this time last year. Seemed like everyone was getting interviews and I wasn't. Trust me, it is still VERY early. Most places offer IVs in waves. People cancel interviews, etc, throughout the season. You all will have more interviews than you can schedule, too. There are some serious ballers posting on this site this year, totally blow my stats out of the water. You all will do really well, trust me.

This is a really exciting time for you all. Try not to stress out too much.:thumbup:

why arent people posting where they got an interview?? I will gladly say, I have had one interview offer, and it was from New Mexico. Please post where you were offered too!

I've shared with a few who messaged me. I just wish to keep things private for the most part because my real identity (spider-man) is known to a few on this site. Congrats on your interview!

This waiting is making me nervous, do you think we can still add programs or at least TYs?

This waiting is making me nervous, do you think we can still add programs or at least TYs?

You can. September is still early enough where it won't come off to programs that you are using them as a backup plan

I just added more TYs since a program I applied to in my state is handing out interviews and I haven't heard a thing from them....I'm starting to wonder if not having my ck score or not even taking it til mid november are going to hinder me?

I just added more TYs since a program I applied to in my state is handing out interviews and I haven't heard a thing from them....I'm starting to wonder if not having my ck score or not even taking it til mid november are going to hinder me?

lol oh man,...and now all the anxious rad hopefuls who read this will follow suit....including myself. :smack:

I'm only worried about TYs right now. I'm maxed out with rads apps I think but only had 13 TYs and most are apparently really competitive, so I added 4 more after debating it for a couple of days now. Not gonna freak out just yet, that'll come mid november I'm sure.

I'm only worried about TYs right now. I'm maxed out with rads apps I think but only had 13 TYs and most are apparently really competitive, so I added 4 more after debating it for a couple of days now. Not gonna freak out just yet, that'll come mid november I'm sure.

I ended up doing the prelim medicine year instead of transitional year.. I'm regretting that now! but no way I'm going back and doing TY instead now.

I ended up doing the prelim medicine year instead of transitional year.. I'm regretting that now! but no way I'm going back and doing TY instead now.

I applied to both. 13 TY and 9 I'M. TY's that were cush and/or in good locations and prelim IMs in my region and close to home as backups

I expect to get a couple TY IVs at the most so I want to go on at least 3 or 4 prelim meds.

I applied to both. 13 TY and 9 I'M. TY's that were cush and/or in good locations and prelim IMs in my region and close to home as backups

I expect to get a couple TY IVs at the most so I want to go on at least 3 or 4 prelim meds.

I am uneducated about the TYs, and as a result decided to just hold off on them instead of applying blindly to areas that we're cush. I also hate certain 3rd year core rotations and didn't want anything to do with said subjects ever again, so I knew at least with medicine I'd be safe from their evilness.

I also applied to every program within driving distance from home simply because if I can pocket my intern salary I might be able to pull off a down payment on a small home for residency (perhaps with some parental assistance), which is always something I wanted to do because the thought of paying rent for 4 years instead of an equally priced mortgage is revolting to me.

I am uneducated about the TYs, and as a result decided to just hold off on them instead of applying blindly to areas that we're cush. I also hate certain 3rd year core rotations and didn't want anything to do with said subjects ever again, so I knew at least with medicine I'd be safe from their evilness.

I also applied to every program within driving distance from home simply because if I can pocket my intern salary I might be able to pull off a down payment on a small home for residency (perhaps with some parental assistance), which is always something I wanted to do because the thought of paying rent for 4 years instead of an equally priced mortgage is revolting to me.

I feel you on that. All of the TY's I did have 1 or 0 months of surgery and no ob. The main advantage is less ward months and more elective time. I stayed away from ones like Hawaii that require 3 months of surgery.

You guys are so paranoid; it's still early. I only applied to 9 TYs, the three I am most interested in being either associated with my school or nearby. Maybe I should do some prelims, but $85 seems like such a waste.