Radiology and Clinics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LikeDaniel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm surprised this wasn't more easily Google-able, but I can't find a straightforward answer.

I know that when anyone chooses a specialty they are simultaneously choosing to not do another (unless they then do additional residencies, which I'm too old for).

That being said, is there a way for someone who specializes in diagnostic radiology to occasionally work at either an urgent care clinic or a free clinic in a primary care role, without going through three more years of residency?

Radiology is currently my number one preference, but ideally I'd love to volunteer my time in a free (or otherwise "cheap") clinic once every week or two, even if I had many of the same restrictions an NP or PA would. I loved my time looking at Family Practice and Pediatrics and just can't quite let them go. :)

I'm assuming that's unrealistic, but I thought I'd check before I dropped the idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you would find that this idea, while not impossible, is not worthwhile.

There are lots of places that are so desperate for physicians to staff them that they would probably take any warm body with an unrestricted license. These are generally not desirable places to live, so you're probably looking at traveling to make this happen, and you're almost certainly going to use your vacation time to do it.

Also, you're going to pay a premium in malpractice insurance.

I would look into doing medical mission work abroad to scratch this itch.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you complete an intern year, you can work in one of those clinics. I would advise against it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you complete an intern year, you can work in one of those clinics. I would advise against it.
Oh! I didn't realize it was that simple. I'm an incoming M1 this year, so just trying to plan ahead for my current hope/plan. :)

If you don't mind me asking, why would you advise against it? Malpractice premiums? Or is it simply almost always a horrible work culture?

Malpractice is a thing to consider. People are worried about getting sued in their respective professions after completing a residency and doing it day in and day out. You would be doing it as a hobby of sorts. That would eventually lead you to practicing "defensive" medicine, which is not what anyone dreams about going into medical school. Also, if you're working at an urgent care that is willing to hire you without a completed residency, you're probably working at a cash only place, which is where you'll likely practice "bad" medicine. Prescribing steroids and antibiotics for a URI you are certain is viral--- but the patient just paid $125 out of pocket and is expecting something.

Additionally, there are time concerns. If you are young and have no other obligations, it seems that you have all the time in the world to do this. That time may be devoted to a family and children in ten years. Even if it isn't that, you've just been in school/training the past 10 years and you finally have vacation time, are you going to have the desire to actually go back and work with one of the more difficult patient populations.

This isn't intended to discourage you. Maybe you'll be able to do it, but it'll probably be at the expense of something else.

The above mentioned mission trips are a good way to go. The ACR has a scholarship for residents to go to underserved parts of the world. I have a colleague that goes on a medical mission to Africa every year.

FYI, I was the attending at an urgent care clinic after my intern year. Volunteer, twice a month (clinic was once a week). I also love patients and medicine. Just presenting realities you should consider (including not doing radiology and maybe doing family med).

Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Malpractice is a thing to consider. People are worried about getting sued in their respective professions after completing a residency and doing it day in and day out. You would be doing it as a hobby of sorts. That would eventually lead you to practicing "defensive" medicine, which is not what anyone dreams about going into medical school. Also, if you're working at an urgent care that is willing to hire you without a completed residency, you're probably working at a cash only place, which is where you'll likely practice "bad" medicine. Prescribing steroids and antibiotics for a URI you are certain is viral--- but the patient just paid $125 out of pocket and is expecting something.

Additionally, there are time concerns. If you are young and have no other obligations, it seems that you have all the time in the world to do this. That time may be devoted to a family and children in ten years. Even if it isn't that, you've just been in school/training the past 10 years and you finally have vacation time, are you going to have the desire to actually go back and work with one of the more difficult patient populations.

This isn't intended to discourage you. Maybe you'll be able to do it, but it'll probably be at the expense of something else.

The above mentioned mission trips are a good way to go. The ACR has a scholarship for residents to go to underserved parts of the world. I have a colleague that goes on a medical mission to Africa every year.

FYI, I was the attending at an urgent care clinic after my intern year. Volunteer, twice a month (clinic was once a week). I also love patients and medicine. Just presenting realities you should consider (including not doing radiology and maybe doing family med).

Good luck
thank you very much for the well thought-out response! This is the kind of stuff that I want to hear, because I want to make a fully informed decision.

Thanks again!