radiology as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know what the competitiveness of radiology is like when applying as a DO ive looked at a couple of sites and the only information I found is relatively dated. Is there a large bias against DOs in rads like there is in the surgical specialties or not so much? Any information about this is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Im a current fourth year DO student applying to rads. If your step scores are in the low 230's or higher, you'll have a solid shot at the community programs and some university programs. Very do-able field as long as if you have the scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your scores are 270/280 then you have a 0% chance to match at any of the top 10 Doximity programs.

how important is research(applying as a DO) to ACGME programs?

how important is research(applying as a DO) to ACGME programs?
Not important at all if you don't care about whether you end up at a community or university program. Based purely off of my experience and the experience of some of my friends from this year and last year, you'll still get a handful of your regional university program invites without research experience and a score in the 230s/240s. If you want more university programs on your rank list that's when research experiences and/or higher board scores will start becoming important. It also seemed to depend on where your school is and where your hometown is. Being in the northeast is nice, as is being in the midwest. I'm not sure about other places just cus I haven't interacted with many DO applicants from other parts of the country.

Not important at all if you don't care about whether you end up at a community or university program. Based purely off of my experience and the experience of some of my friends from this year and last year, you'll still get a handful of your regional university program invites without research experience and a score in the 230s/240s. If you want more university programs on your rank list that's when research experiences and/or higher board scores will start becoming important. It also seemed to depend on where your school is and where your hometown is. Being in the northeast is nice, as is being in the midwest. I'm not sure about other places just cus I haven't interacted with many DO applicants from other parts of the country.
my DO school and hometown is in the southwest. I hope to match into any academic program (any tier) in that area. In regards to research is radiology research necessary or does any suffice? Thank you.

Im a current fourth year DO student applying to rads. If your step scores are in the low 230's or higher, you'll have a solid shot at the community programs and some university programs. Very do-able field as long as if you have the scores.
hey sent you a pm

my DO school and hometown is in the southwest. I hope to match into any academic program (any tier) in that area. In regards to research is radiology research necessary or does any suffice? Thank you.
From recent experiences I know of in the northeast, "any academic program" is feasible without any research as long as if you have decent scores. I don't know about programs in the southwest but I'd imagine it may be a bit tougher since it's less saturated with programs in general compared to other parts of the country.

Reactions: 1 user