Radiology Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studydork

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys recommend any books for student rotations and any great text books for somone interested in a career in radiology? I've heard of Radiology Recall and Radiology Secrets, these any good? My exposure to Rads is very little, so introductory/student level books would be best for me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys recommend any books for student rotations and any great text books for somone interested in a career in radiology? I've heard of Radiology Recall and Radiology Secrets, these any good? My exposure to Rads is very little, so introductory/student level books would be best for me. Thanks.

Squire's fundamentals of radiology.

The same thing I always reply when someone asks this question.

Fundamentals of Emergency Radiology by Wiest - easy read
Felson's Chest Roentgenology

Squire's - if you are planning on going into Radiology
Essential Radiology by Gunderman - if you aren't going into Radiology, or if you are you can read it too.

Good Luck.

Vince

Members don't see this ad :)
Requisites are great if you are doing a neuro elective, or are interested in Neuroradiology.

Requisites are great if you are doing a neuro elective, or are interested in Neuroradiology.

Squires is more than enough for the 4th year med student. Felson 1973 is a classic you can easily read in 2 or 3 sittings for CXRs.

Neuroradiology requisites, IMO is massive >1000 pages, overly wordy with out of date political humor. Its an excellent reference, but I think Osborne's neuroradiology book is a better written easier read, but it only covers the brain. no spine or ent.

Hans

What about spine? What's the best comprehensive reference?

I also like anatomy for diagnostic imaging very much. It has great illustrations correlated with multi-modal pictures, all labeled very well.

What about spine? What's the best comprehensive reference?
I don't know Requisites is about as far in depth as I care to go, for minutiae, I just google it.

Consider diagnostic imaging: Spine

Each tome is $250 bucks though, but they cover almost EVERYTHING in bullet format, with lots of high quality pics (albeit small ones) thrown in for good measure.

hey all,
i'm a 2nd year looking to buy a radiology book. The rest of our year is going to be somewhat radiology heavy. I'm not very good at reading x-rays or CT scans (especially CT scans) and would like to get better. Any suggestions on good books? I've heard of Lange's Basic Radiology and also about Radiology 101. I would like a book with many examples. thanks.

hey all,
i'm a 2nd year looking to buy a radiology book. The rest of our year is going to be somewhat radiology heavy. I'm not very good at reading x-rays or CT scans (especially CT scans) and would like to get better. Any suggestions on good books? I've heard of Lange's Basic Radiology and also about Radiology 101. I would like a book with many examples. thanks.

A great book for learning CT is Webb and Brandt's Fundamentals of body CT. I think its more geared toward the 1st year radiology resident, but if you really want to learn CT, its great.~400 pages, but the pages are smaller than the standard 8.5 x 11 text pages so its a quick read.

Has anyone used the PocketRadiologist applications for the PDA? If so, what do you think of it as a quick reference tool?
Thanks!

Has anyone used the PocketRadiologist applications for the PDA? If so, what do you think of it as a quick reference tool?
Thanks!

Certain Pocket Radiologist books are awesome. The head and neck and cardiac books are great, I hear.

As far as PDA format, I'd be wary about the quality of the pictures displayed on a PDA. Remember the films you see on your pacs LCD monitor are seen at 2048 x 1092 at uber high contrast on several thousand dollar monitors. However, images on a PDA, even with the back light on, would probably be 'suboptimal' (ie shi**y). I'd just get the Pocket Radiologist books you want in print format. Sure the Pocket Radiologist in print have small pictures, but at least they are printed on glossy paper, with decent quality images.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. While we are on the subject of books, what do you think of the Requisites series? They seem to be of high quality to me (I'm no judge at this point), and they are really cheap (I AM a great judge of that).

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. While we are on the subject of books, what do you think of the Requisites series? They seem to be of high quality to me (I'm no judge at this point), and they are really cheap (I AM a great judge of that).

Most are good, some are excellent, some are mediocre...

Highly recommended Requisites series: Neuro, Interventional, Nucs (some people like mettler better), GU (som people like dunnick better)

Pretty good Requisites: ultrasound (some people prefer core curriculum) MSK (I liked fundamentals of MSK better).

Not recommended: peds (get donnelly instead), GI (get review of GI radiology by eisenberg instead)

Havent read breast or thoracic requisites, but I like Reed's Chest book for CXR

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT shell out any money on any of these books if you havent matched rads. Squires is more than enough for now.

Chances are in 3-4 years when you are a PGY2, a brand new edition will come out. You'll kick yourself for spending your own money for books that will be out-of-date when you really need them. Besides most residencies will give you an allowance for books.

If you have matched, wait till you start R1. Check with your seniors to see what they liked and has worked for them , and check out the books to see if the style of writing is right for you. No need to be gunnerish and read up during intern year, when none of the radiology esoterica will stick.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT shell out any money on any of these books if you havent matched rads. Squires is more than enough for now.

Thank you very much for the detailed advice. We are required to read Squires on our rads rotation, so I'll get it. I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but it is so much more fun to think about life after second year. :)